Michelle Moore Smith
Michelle Smith is a partner in Jackson Walker’s Austin office with extensive experience in office and retail leasing matters. She regularly counsels landlords and tenants in the preparation and negotiation of leases, amendments, subleases, and other leasing documents. Michelle is particularly skilled at assisting property developers in their lease-up efforts at new office buildings and is proud to have been part of the teams responsible for creating 100% occupancy levels in two new office buildings in the last two years. Occasionally, these new buildings are part of mixed-use developments, and part of Michelle’s experience includes navigating the competing interests of each area of the development during lease negotiations.
Her practice also includes all phases of the ownership of commercial real estate, including the acquisition, disposition, financing, and management of office buildings, shopping centers, condominium projects, and unimproved land. In connection with those projects, she will occasionally advise real estate investors in the structure and formation of joint ventures and other investment vehicles. Additionally, Michelle often represents financial institutions and borrowers in financing various types of commercial real estate. She structures, documents, and closes commercial real estate construction, development, revolving, and term loans.
B.A., cum laude, Washington and Lee University
J.D., cum laude, University of Texas School of Law
- Represented landlord in the negotiation of multiple leases in and subsequent sale of a 129,000 square foot office building in Austin, Texas.
- Negotiated 150,000 square foot office lease to a nationally-recognized tenant in a new mixed-use development in East Austin on behalf of landlord.
- Represented owner of a 1,490,000 square foot portfolio of first-class office buildings in downtown Austin, Texas, including in connection with the negotiation of a lease extension and expansion which increased the value of one of the buildings by $60,000,000.
- Represented landlord in re-leasing of retail center in north Austin, Texas with new anchor tenants.
- Negotiated multiple leases at retail center in south Austin, Texas on behalf of landlord.
- Representation of financial services company in negotiation of lease for new headquarters in south Austin, Texas.
- Assisted in the negotiation 1,000,000 square foot lease to a major oil company in downtown Houston on behalf of landlord.
- Represented national bank as lender’s counsel in $35,137,000 construction loan for 214,587 square foot office development and five level parking garage known as Rollingwood Center in Austin, Texas.
- Represented state bank as lender’s counsel in $33,000,000 construction loan for 194 room Granduca Hotel in suburban Austin, Texas.
- Represented borrower in acquisition financing of historic mixed-use buildings in downtown Austin, Texas.
Acquisitions and Dispositions
- Represented the nation’s largest mobile contract grinding and recycling service in the acquisition of a Fort Worth-based provider of mobile contract grinding, delivery, and green waste recycling services.
- Represented a real estate investment company in disposition of portfolio of first-class office buildings in suburban Austin, Texas.
- Represented purchaser in acquisition (and related financing) of prominent first-class office building in downtown Fort Worth, Texas.
- Represented purchaser in acquisition of office building in San Antonio, Texas and the related assumption of securitized mortgage loan.
- Represented real estate fund sponsor in formation of joint ventures with operational partners and related acquisition, redevelopment and disposition of multifamily, retail and office assets.
- The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White Inc.), Real Estate Law, 2022-2023
- Texas Rising Star, Super Lawyers – Rising Stars by Thomson Reuters, 2011, 2016-2021
- “Austin’s Top Attorneys” List – Real Estate, Austin Monthly, 2021
- The Thinkery (Austin Children’s Museum), Board of Directors
- President-Elect 2022-2023, President 2023-2024
- UT Law’s William W. Gibson, Jr. Mortgage Lending and Servicing Institute, Presiding Officer, 2021
- State Bar of Texas
- Austin Bar Association – Real Estate Section
- The Real Estate Council of Austin, Leadership Development Council, 2015
August 18, 2022Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 214 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2023 Edition, Including 11 “Lawyers of the Year” and 41 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 214 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 79 specialty practice areas in its 2023 edition, including 11 Lawyers of the Year and 41 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
October 5, 2021Newsletters
View Jackson Walker’s October 2021 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
August 19, 2021Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 178 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2022 Edition, Including 8 “Lawyers of the Year” and 31 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 178 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 67 specialty practice areas in its 2022 edition, including 8 Lawyers of the Year and 31 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
August 3, 2021Attorney News
Jackson Walker congratulates the 20 attorneys recognized among “Austin’s Top Attorneys” for 2021. For recognition in the list, Austin attorneys must be nominated by their peers on the basis that they offer experienced counsel in one of 43 categories.
March 23, 2021Attorney News
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce the selection of 36 attorneys to Thomson Reuters’ 2021 “Super Lawyers – Rising Stars” list. Spanning five offices and eight major practice areas, these up-and-coming attorneys have been nominated by peers within and outside the Firm.
February 11, 2021Newsletters
View Jackson Walker’s February 2021 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
June 30, 2020Newsletters
Explore the accomplishments of our diverse attorneys and their involvement within our communities during the first half of 2020.
June 29, 2020Client Results
With its acquisition of Fort Worth-based Thelin Recycling Company, Austin Wood Recycling becomes the nation’s largest mobile contract grinding and recycling service.
March 10, 2020Attorney News
Spanning five offices, six major practice areas, and experience ranging from six to 15 years, these 30 up-and-coming attorneys were selected based on peer recognition and professional achievement.
March 6, 2019Attorney News
Jackson Walker is excited to congratulate our 34 attorneys who were named to Thomson Reuters’ 2019 “Super Lawyers – Rising Stars” list.