While many law firms focus their representation of insurance industry clients solely on litigation, Jackson Walker serves the industry across the spectrum of our clients’ business needs. We represent all segments of the industry at every stage in their life cycle from formation forward. We serve as trusted advisors to our clients as they grow their businesses, seek funding, and complete acquisitions. Because we know the insurance industry, we are able to provide actionable and strategic advice on substantial transactions, business reorganizations, and the creation of new insurance businesses. Jackson Walker has assisted in the formation of domestic and off-shore insurance companies including the formation of captive insurance companies and agency affiliates. We have represented buyers and sellers of insurance companies, insurance brokers, managing general agencies and agencies. We counsel our clients on relations with their brokers and agents.
We also advise clients whose business needs may require the acquisition of insurance. Our extensive insurance litigation experience allows us to provide insight to clients who are procuring or renewing insurance coverage so that they can avoid common issues that might preclude coverage in the event of a future claim. In transactions, we work with our colleagues in other disciplines across the firm, including our environmental, healthcare, energy, litigation, and real estate practice, to evaluate the insurance coverage and risks faced by target companies. We draft insurance and indemnity provisions in deal documents to address those risks. We advise clients on the appropriate director and officer liability insurance and necessary tail coverage. We also advise our clients on the advisability of requiring representation and warranty insurance and assist in negotiating the terms of those policies. We can assist clients engaged in merger and acquisition transactions in effective use of insurance for risk transfer and in identifying tax-advantaged strategies for the use of insurance in funding. We counsel clients on managing legacy liabilities and are experienced in the use of captive insurance as a means to fund ongoing liabilities.
- Asset purchases and sales
- Due diligence
- Entity formation
- Financing, including public offerings, private placements, and credit facilities
- Internal investigations
- Licensing and registration
- Regulatory filings
- Assisted a client in a $200M fund formation to pursue investments in insurance businesses.
- Represented an institutional alternative investment management firm in connection with a $10M investment in the common stock of a public life insurance company.
- Represented an institutional alternative investment management firm in connection with a co-investment to acquire approximately twenty-five percent (25%) of the equity interests of a large insurance broker in North America that provides a broad array of insurance-related products and services, including property and casualty, employee benefits, life and health, and risk management. The investment was for a total amount of approximately $110M.
- Negotiated and closed two large Software as a Service Agreements pursuant to which our client, a large software company, will provide population management services and related tools to health insurance providers and affiliated risk bearing entities serving approximately 15,000,000 insured persons. Deal valued at over $100M.
- Represented a client in a sale of its wholesale insurance business to Ryan Specialty Group, including the client’s earnout and retention of surety bond underwriting businesses.
- Represented an insurance investigation firm in a private equity recapitalization transaction.
- Represented a client in a $3M equity investment and $9M credit investment in an insurance brokerage business.