Argyrios C. Saccopoulos
Argyrios Saccopoulos is an attorney in Jackson Walker’s tax group. Argyrios regularly represents buyers, sellers, and joint venture partners in M&A and real estate transactions, including federal income tax considerations of debt financings, merger agreements, and dealings in stock, partnership interests, and blocker structures. Argyrios has extensive experience counseling fund sponsors and investors on federal income tax aspects of fund formations and investments. Argyrios advises clients on the formation, qualification, and operations of real estate investment trusts, including their use in captive fund structures, and has previously advised some of the largest publicly listed REITs in the United States in REIT compliance matters. Additionally, Argyrios advises clients endeavoring to qualify for the “qualified opportunity zone” tax incentive structures implemented as part of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act.
In law school, Argyrios was an Articles Editor for the Texas Journal on Civil Liberties and Civil Rights and interned with the American Civil Liberties Union of Texas, where he focused on issues of protecting religious freedom in public schools.
Prior to joining Jackson Walker, Argyrios worked for a major law firm in Boston, Massachusetts, where he developed his tax practice and helped teach the tax portion of workshops for small business owners and community development lenders.
B.A., The University of Texas at Austin (Plan II Honors)
J.D., with honors, The University of Texas School of Law
LL.M., Taxation, Boston University School of Law
- Represented a public REIT in a $1.5 billion joint venture transaction to sell an interest in a portfolio of New York and Boston office towers to a sovereign fund
- Represented a public REIT in a $7.1 billion “merger of equals” with another public REIT
- Represented a public REIT in a $8.6 billion “merger of equals” with another public REIT
- Represented a public REIT target in a $3 billion sale to a private investment fund
- Represented a public REIT in NYSE listing of common shares and $50 million tender offer
- Represented underwriters in a $1.8 billion initial public offering for common stock of a REIT focused on residential properties
Private Equity / Private Fund Transactions
- Represented a private equity sponsor in the formation of a $315 million life-science venture fund
- Represented a private equity sponsor in the formation of a $13 billion series of parallel funds focused on global equities
- Represented a cloud software company in $1.2 billion sale to a strategic acquirer
- Represented a global satellite communications and network service provider in a $425 million acquisition of an energy and maritime company
- Represented a private equity sponsor in a $200 million sale of a metal tubing manufacturer to a strategic acquirer
- Represented a private equity sponsor with $3 billion in assets under management and a pharmaceutical portfolio company in the company’s sale to a strategic buyer (deal terms confidential)
- Represented a private equity sponsor with $3.5 billion in assets under management in the acquisition of a supplier of corporate and promotional merchandise (deal terms confidential)
- Represented a private equity sponsor with $3-4 billion in assets under management in the 2014 acquisition and the 2018 sale of a sporting goods business (deal terms confidential)
- Represented a private equity sponsor with $55 billion in assets under management in an acquisition of an IT support services provider (deal terms confidential)Represented a private equity sponsor with $55 billion in assets under management in the $1.1 billion acquisition of a controlling stake in a global manufacturer of metal components (deal terms confidential)
- Represented a private equity sponsor with $18 billion in capital raised in the acquisition of a majority stake in a financial services provider (deal terms confidential
- Represented a private equity sponsor with $18 billion in capital raised in the buyout of a global network and satellite communications provider (deal terms confidential)
- Represented a private equity sponsor with $18 billion in capital raised in a strategic investment in an alcoholic beverage management solutions provider (deal terms confidential)
- Represented a private equity sponsor with $18 billion in capital raised in the acquisition of a children’s toy manufacturer (deal terms confidential)
- Represented an NBA sports team in a transaction involving the sale of local broadcasting rights
- Represented a well-known guitar company in a $225 million notes offering
- Represented a Swiss investment company in a $31 million sale of assets
- Presenter, “Qualified Opportunity Zone Tax Update,” Jackson Walker Webinar (December 2020)
- Presenter, “Tax Benefits of Real Estate Development/Investment with ‘Qualified Opportunity Funds,'” Central Texas Commercial Association of Realtors (CTCAR) (October 2019)
- Represented State Bar of Texas Tax Section at IRS hearing on proposed Qualified Opportunity Fund regulations (June 2019)
- Presenter, “Carried Interest Update,” (Summer 2021)
- Author, “Here’s What’s in Store for Qualified Opportunity Zones,” Houston Business Journal (June 2021)
- Author, “‘Opportunity Zone’ Program Would Survive But Be Changed Under Biden,” Texas Lawyer (November 2020)
- Co-Author, “COVID-19 Relief for Qualified Opportunity Funds” (June 2020)
- Author, “Treasury Releases Final Regulations for Investing in Qualified Opportunity Zones” (January 2020)
- Co-Author, “Treasury Releases Additional Qualified Opportunity Zone Guidance” (April 2019)
- Co-Author, “Tax Benefits of Investing in QOFs: A New Tax Shelter Approved by Congress!” (February 2019)
- Co-Author, “Treasury Releases Qualified Opportunity Fund (QOF) Guidance” (October 2018)
- Contributor, Comments on Proposed Regulations Concerning the Deduction for Qualified Business Income under Section 199A of the Internal Revenue Code, State Bar of Texas, Tax Section Comments (October 1, 2018)
- Boston Bar Association
- American Bar Association – Tax Section, Member
- Year Up Inc., Make a Difference fellow, 2009-2010
August 29, 2022Client Results
Atlas Copco, a Swedish industrial tools and equipment manufacturer, has announced the acquisition of client Montana Instruments Corporation for an undisclosed purchase price. The acquisition is expected to close during the fourth quarter of 2022.
September 24, 2021Podcasts
~13 minutes | The U.S. House Ways and Means Committee has approved a proposal to increase certain taxes by $2.1 trillion to offset the House Democrats’ $3.5 trillion government spending plan. With a long way to go and a number of possible changes to be made along the way, Ron Kerridge, Argyrios Saccopoulos, Nate Smithson, and Ashley Withers discuss some of the key aspects of the proposal.
August 19, 2021Speaking Engagements
Argyrios Saccopoulos Discusses “Taxation of Carried Interests” During TexasBarCLE Tax Law Conference
During the Tax Law 2021: Practicing Tax Law in Uncertain Times course, Jackson Walker attorney Argyrios Saccopoulos will present “Taxation of Carried Interests,” a CLE program discussing new regulations, fee waivers, and a freeze on carried interest.
June 28, 2021Client Results
Jackson Walker Advises Quantum Loophole in Strategic Joint Venture to Develop Gigawatt Scale Data Center Community
Jackson Walker advised Austin-based Quantum Loophole, Inc. in forming a strategic joint venture with TPG Real Estate Partners (TREP) to purchase an approximately 2,100-acre property in Frederick County, Maryland and develop a first-of-its-kind gigawatt scale data center community.
May 26, 2021Client Results
Rick Dahlson and Cale McDowell Lead Jackson Walker’s Representation of Cypress Growth Capital in Formation of Fund IV
Jackson Walker counseled Cypress Growth Capital on the formation of its fourth royalty-based growth capital fund, which fully closed on May 5, 2021, with approximately $50 million in capital commitments.
May 20, 2021Insights
By Argyrios Saccopoulos & Brian Dethrow
The upcoming deadline to make a “capital gain rollover” investment into a “qualified opportunity fund” with respect to certain 2020 pass-through gains is September 10, 2021.
January 25, 2021Insights
On January 20, the Treasury Department published Notice 2021-10, extending COVID-19 relief for qualified opportunity funds (QOFs) and their investors.
January 12, 2021Insights
In this article, we outline selected tax law changes that President Joe Biden has proposed, both in speaking engagements and on his campaign website, some or all of which could be enacted in 2021 or future years.
December 9, 2020Webinars
Austin attorneys Steve Martens and Argyrios Saccopoulos present tax updates related to qualified opportunity zones.
November 2, 2020Insights
The “qualified opportunity zone,” or QOZ program, was approved by Congress at the end of 2017 to provide federal tax incentives for certain investments in designated low-income areas. Should Joe Biden be elected president, the program may survive his administration—but in what form?