W. Bowman Givhan
Bowman is a transactional attorney specializing in mergers and acquisitions, real estate joint ventures and other complex corporate transactions and governance matters.
He has experience representing both public and private companies, private equity funds, family offices, individuals and other clients in buy and sell-side M&A transactions. His practice is focused primarily on the healthcare and commercial real estate industries, however he has experience representing clients in various other industries including energy, hospitality, heavy manufacturing, insurance, logistics, retail and technology.
Bowman also represents developers, private equity firms and other capital providers in the commercial real estate industry with the structuring and negotiation of real estate joint ventures, real estate funds and other complex real estate transactions.
In addition to the above areas of expertise, Bowman also has extensive experience representing clients in the structuring and negotiation of a variety of other transactions, investment vehicles, joint ventures and partnerships as well as corporate governance issues.
B.A., magna cum laude, The University of Alabama
- Omicron Delta Kappa
- University Honors College
J.D., Georgetown University Law Center
- Certificate in Transnational Legal Studies (earned from the Center for Transnational Legal Studies)
- Georgetown Journal of International Law, Online Content Editor
Mergers and Acquisitions
The following is a subset of representative M&A transactions with which Bowman has been involved with deal values ranging from $5 million to over $1 billion:
- Represented healthcare technology company in its merger into a private equity backed company.
- Represented owners of healthcare technology company, focused on assisting hospitals and hospital systems in the processing and management of Medicare and Medicaid claims, in the sale of all of their stock to a private equity firm.
- Represented private equity firm in numerous roll-up transactions of ophthalmology centers.
- Represented health insurance company in purchase of all of the equity of third party administrator.
- Represented Dallas-based American Group Insurance Service Inc., a top insurance brokerage company in the United States, in the sale of its equity to Integrity Marketing Group, LLC, the nation’s largest independent distributor of life and health insurance products.
- Represented group of insurance brokerage companies in sale of substantially all of their assets to private equity firm.
- Represented a public mobile advertising solutions provider in its transformative acquisitions of three international mobile advertising companies valued in excess of $1 billion.
- Represented public oilfield services company in the sale to competitor of certain salt water disposal well and pipeline assets in east Texas, Arkansas and Louisiana.
- Represented a provider of produced water infrastructure solutions in acquiring a portfolio of operating assets in New Mexico from a major public oil producer, including 23 saltwater disposal wells and 300 miles of water gathering pipelines.
- Represented private equity firm in the sale of substantially all of the assets of one of the industry’s largest plastic distributors.
- Represented a food handler certification company in the sale of substantially all of its assets to a private equity firm.
- Representation of alcoholic beverage distributer in the acquisition of distribution rights for prominent wine labels from competitor.
- Represented family office in sale of its equity interests in global call center company with substantial operations in Australia, the Philippines and the United States.
- Represented family office in purchase of equity in fast casual restaurant chain and negotiation of joint venture with current owners and ongoing equity holders.
- Represented public company in the purchase of substantially all of the assets of Texas homebuilder.
- Represented private equity firm in purchase of substantially all of the assets of logistics company.
- Represented pension fund administrator in purchase of the membership interests of newspaper publisher.
Real Estate Funds and Joint Ventures
- Represented investor/developer in formation of real estate joint venture to develop multi-building warehouse facilities in Denver, Colorado.
- Represented KDC, an award-winning national developer of commercial office buildings, corporate build-to-suit facilities and mixed-use projects, in the (a) sale of a 50% equity interest to Cadillac Fairview, the global real estate arm of the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan, and (b) formation with Cadillac Fairview and KDC’s long-time partner, Compatriot Capital, a wholly owned subsidiary of Sammons Enterprises, Inc., of an $800 million U.S. commercial office and mixed-use fund.
- Represented real estate developer in the formation of real estate joint venture leading to the purchase of two large shopping malls.
- Represented two different commercial real estate developers in various joint ventures for the purpose of purchasing single tenant properties throughout the United States.
- Represented developer in formation of qualified opportunity zone fund to finance the construction of new master planned community outside of Houston, Texas.
- Represented developer in the formation of a qualified opportunity zone fund to finance the acquisition and upgrade of low income housing facility.
- Represented real estate developer in the formation of a real estate investment fund to finance development of new build to rent residential community.
- Represented global alternative asset investment firm in joint venture with real estate developer for the development of hospitality assets.
- Represented commercial real estate debt fund in formation of fund and fund management.
- Represented investment fund specializing in the purchase and sale of precious metals in the cash out and dissolution of its fund.
- Represented management team in the formation of a joint venture with a private equity firm for the purpose of pursuing natural gas assets.
- Represented management team in the formation of a joint venture with a private equity firm for the purpose of pursuing oil assets.
- Act as outside general counsel to California winery which includes formation of its new business ventures, overseeing litigation matters and negotiating commercial agreements.
- Represented community bank in drafting and implementation of new corporate Bylaws.
- Represented respiratory medical device company in negotiation of new revolving credit facility.
- Represented global pipe manufacturer in conversion from Massachusetts corporation to Texas corporation.
- Represented early stage dental staffing company in its series seed investment round capital raise.
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch (Woodward/White Inc.), Securities Regulation, 2022-2023
August 18, 2022Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 214 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2023 Edition, Including 11 “Lawyers of the Year” and 41 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 214 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 79 specialty practice areas in its 2023 edition, including 11 Lawyers of the Year and 41 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
October 14, 2021Client Results
Digital Turbine, a public leading independent mobile advertising solutions provider, has completed more than $1 billion in cross-border deals in 2021 through the acquisitions of Fyber, AdColony, and Triapodi (d/b/a Appreciate).
August 19, 2021Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 178 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2022 Edition, Including 8 “Lawyers of the Year” and 31 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 178 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 67 specialty practice areas in its 2022 edition, including 8 Lawyers of the Year and 31 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
January 28, 2021Client Results
Jackson Walker Represents Prophet Equity in Divesting Portfolio Company Total Plastics Resources LLC
Jackson Walker represented Prophet Equity in the sale of its Michigan-based portfolio company Total Plastics Resources LLC, one of the industry’s largest plastic distributors. The transaction closed on December 18, 2020, for an undisclosed amount.
January 9, 2020Client Results
Jackson Walker Advises Oilfield Water Logistics in Acquiring Portfolio of Operating Assets in New Mexico
Jackson Walker represented Oilfield Water Logistics in acquiring a portfolio of operating assets in New Mexico from a major Permian Basin oil producer, including 23 saltwater disposal wells and 300 miles of water gathering pipelines.