Brian H. Oates
Brian H. Oates is a trial attorney who represents clients in a variety of matters, striving to efficiently and strategically navigate them through each phase of litigation. Brian has practiced in state and federal courts throughout the United States and has significant experience with various forms of alternative dispute resolution. Brian’s practice includes all aspects of commercial litigation, including infringement of intellectual property, construction disputes, and other high-stakes commercial disputes. Brian has assisted clients with trademark registration, protection, licensing, cease and desist, and infringement matters, including representing clients in adversary proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. Brian also has experience representing oil and gas companies in a variety of contexts, including disputes involving energy related agreements.
Brian’s representative experience includes:
- Winning a $3.6 million judgment in breach of contract case and affirmed on appeal.
- Obtaining a dismissal of all claims against a financial services client related to allegations of securities fraud and conspiracy.
- Successfully prosecuting trademark infringement action resulting in corporate defendant changing its infringing name.
- Securing dismissal from lawsuit for Florida company sued in Texas based on lack of jurisdiction and affirmed on appeal.
- Representing companies in ERISA class actions involving allegations of breaches of fiduciary duty.
In addition to advising clients that are pursuing and defending their rights in court, Brian has significant experience assisting entrepreneurs and businesses in all facets, from entity selection to day-to-day guidance on legal and operational issues. Brian has negotiated dozens of agreements for his clients, including purchase and sale agreements, licensing agreements, distribution agreements, commercial contracts, and facility use agreements.
Brian earned his Doctor of Jurisprudence degree at Texas Tech University School of Law, where he graduated second in his class and received a number of honors, including induction into the Order of the Coif and recognition for earning the highest grade in his class seven times.
Prior to law school, Brian played professional baseball in the Seattle Mariners organization.
B.A., Trinity University
J.D., summa cum laude, Texas Tech University School of Law
United States District Court for the Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western Districts of Texas
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch (Woodward/White Inc.)
- Commercial Litigation, 2021
- Intellectual Property Law, 2021