Jackson Walker’s entertainment litigation attorneys handle every type of civil dispute pertaining to the entertainment industry, enabling our broad range of entertainment clients to solve their business challenges and protect their creative works. Our attorneys take an aggressive, but strategic, approach toward the protection and enforcement of our clients’ rights – from minor disputes to precedent-setting cases.
With a strong understanding of the entertainment industry’s various subsets, businesses, and nuances, Jackson Walker has extensive experience in litigation matters concerning rights ownership disputes, royalty disputes, idea submission disputes, copyright infringement, trademark infringement, cybersquatting, Uniform Domain-Name Dispute-Resolution Policy (UDRP) domain name disputes, right of privacy violations, defamation claims, and more.
Jackson Walker has represented businesses and individuals around the country at both the state and federal levels, as well as in mediation and arbitration proceedings before providers including the American Arbitration Association (AAA), Judicial Arbitration and Mediation Services, Inc. (JAMS), and the Independent Film & Television Alliance (IFTA).
Jackson Walker has also served as go-to local counsel for premiere entertainment law firms out of New York and California for entertainment litigation pending in Texas courts.
While we are proud of our years of courtroom success, Jackson Walker attorneys bring their experience in the complex world of entertainment transactions and digital to bear to help clients craft deals and agreements with the goal of minimizing risk and resolving matters outside of litigation.
- Defense and prosecution of copyright and trademark claims for various industry clients
- Defense of various television networks and celebrities in defamation cases involving traditional and online media
- Defense of major film studio in right of publicity case involving a successful feature film
- Representation of film production company in dispute over film distribution agreement and royalty payments and accountings
- Representation of producers in film production finance agreement disputes
- Representation of large independent music publisher in multi-jurisdictional dispute over music catalog of prolific songwriter
- Representation of entertainment company in dispute over ownership of new media technology for the music industry
- Representation of concert promoter in artist performance agreement dispute
- Representation of various commercial businesses against copyright licensing claims asserted by music and film performance rights organizations
- Defense of major book publisher in copyright infringement suit
- Representation of video game developer in First Amendment dispute
- Defense of online service provider in multi-million dollar online photography copyright infringement suit
- Defense of various entertainment and media companies in online photography cases involving claims of copyright infringement and violations of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA)
- Defense of magazine publisher in trademark dispute with competitor
- Defense of major reality television production company in suits involving unfair labor practice claims, including Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) claims
- Local counsel to various entertainment industry clients in the prosecution or defense of copyright and trademark infringement claims brought in Texas