In conjunction with its commercial, intellectual property, and media litigation practice groups, Jackson Walker handles every type of civil dispute pertaining to the entertainment industry. Jackson Walker has represented individuals and businesses in Texas and beyond at both the state and federal levels, as well as in mediation and arbitration proceedings before various alternative dispute resolution service providers, including, for example, the American Arbitration Association (AAA), Judicial Arbitration and Mediation Services, Inc. (JAMS), and the Independent Film & Television Alliance (IFTA). Jackson Walker takes an aggressive, but strategic, approach towards the protection and enforcement of our clients’ rights.
With a strong understanding of the entertainment industry’s various subsets, businesses, and nuances, Jackson Walker has extensive experience in litigation matters concerning industry contract disputes, royalty disputes, rights ownership disputes, employment and labor disputes, copyright infringement, unfair competition, trademark infringement and dilution, right of privacy violations, patent infringement, idea submission disputes, defamation and disparagement disputes, the First Amendment, and general business torts. Our entertainment litigators and trial attorneys take an aggressive, but strategic, approach towards the protection and enforcement of our clients’ rights – from minor issues to precedent-setting cases.
- Defense of various television networks, newspapers, and celebrities in defamation cases.
- Defense of major film studio in right of publicity case involving a successful feature film.
- Defense of a film company in an idea submission dispute over the ownership of a screenplay.
- Representation of film production company in dispute over film distribution agreement and royalty payments and accountings.
- Representation of film production company in dispute over film production finance agreement.
- Representation of film producer in dispute over film production agreement.
- Representation film producer in copyright ownership dispute with screenwriters.
- Defense of an entertainment company and actress / producer against claims of copyright infringement.
- Defense of a film production company against claims of trespass.
- Defense of reality television star in defamation suit brought by co-star.
- Representation of large independent music publisher in multi-jurisdictional dispute over music catalog of prolific songwriter.
- Defense of a record company against a claim for violation of the right of publicity.
- Defense of a record company against claims of copyright and trademark infringement.
- Representation of various music publishers in copyright ownership and royalty disputes.
- Representation of band members involved in an intra-band disputes concerning copyright ownership, royalties, and band names.
- Representation of entertainment company in dispute over ownership of new media technology for the music industry.
- Representation of concert promoter in artist performance agreement dispute.
- Representation of individuals and commercial businesses against copyright licensing claims asserted by music and film rights organizations.
- Defense of book publishing company in copyright infringement suit.
- Representation of video game developer in First Amendment dispute.
- Representation of video game developer in video game publishing agreement dispute.
- Defense of online service provider in multi-million dollar online photography copyright infringement suit.
- Defense of magazine publisher in trademark dispute with competitor.
- Defense of a film production company in a SAG talent agreement dispute.
- Representation of production companies in unfair labor practice claims.
- Representation of a film production company in a threatened strike at a filming location.
- Local counsel to various entertainment industry clients in the prosecution or defense of claims in various state and federal courts throughout Texas.