Brian K. Prewitt
Brian K. Prewitt is an Austin intellectual property attorney focusing on matters relating to patents, trademarks, copyrights, technology development, technology acquisition, strategic alliances, intellectual property licensing, intellectual property due diligence, counseling, and litigation. Brian has worked closely with clients across numerous industries in patent portfolio development; preparation and prosecution of patent and trademark applications; counseling regarding patent infringement risks, contractual and copyright disputes, and patent license disputes; preparation of written legal opinions relating to infringement risks; development and enforcement of licensing strategies; negotiation of patent and trademark licenses and other business agreements; and intellectual property due diligence in connection with corporate mergers and acquisitions.
With over a decade of experience in intellectual property law, and with industry experience in the areas of integrated circuit design, semiconductor manufacturing technology, computer architecture, and computer systems prior to attending law school, Brian possesses both the legal and technical talents necessary for providing top-notch legal representation to leading technological companies throughout the world, including Dell Inc. and Cirrus Logic, Inc. Brian works closely with clients and maintains consistent and timely communication with clients in order to ensure positive results and strives to exceed client expectations while minimizing legal costs.
Brian’s main focus is in the area patent preparation and prosecution. Over the course of his career, Brian has authored over 800 patent applications and has managed the prosecution of over 1200 patent applications spanning from cutting-edge computer and audio technologies to groundbreaking medical devices and from state-of-the-art automotive systems to innovative consumer products including ovens and animal litter boxes. Due to Brian’s uncompromising commitment to client service, Brian and Jackson Walker have become preferred outside patent prosecution counsel to two large global technology companies based in Austin.
Brian also regularly assists clients in other facets of intellectual property law, including trademark, copyright, and entertainment law. In the area of entertainment law, Brian has served as lead counsel and executive producer on five full-length films produced by an independent filmmaker.
In addition to his extensive experience in intellectual property law, Brian has also handled corporate transactions, mergers and acquisitions, real estate transactions, real estate development, lending, and estate planning and probate matters.
B.S., University of Cincinnati
J.D., University of Texas School of Law
- Order of the Coif, Top 10%
- Chancellors, Top 16 Students of Class
- Asian Law Students Association
- Chairperson, Legal Research Board
- Four-time recipient of the Dean’s Achievement Award
United States Patent and Trademark Office, 2007
- Computer systems
- Data storage systems
- Mixed-signal audio systems
- Adaptive active noise cancellation
- Handhelds and other mobile computing devices
- Audio devices
- Seismic data acquisition systems
- Medical devices
- Network and data security
- Thermal control systems
- Low-power lighting
- Green technologies
- Computer software
- Semiconductor and photo mask fabrication
- Instrumentation devices
- Cellular and other wireless communication
- Radio frequency communications
- Networking hardware
- Automotive devices
- Consumer products
- Use and protection of trademarks
- Prosecution of trademark registration applications
- Use and protection of copyrighted works, including films and music.
- All phases of film production, including copyright protection, distribution agreements, talent releases, content licenses and releases, and other relevant legal issues
Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation, 2016
“IP4All – Hot Topics and Trends in Intellectual Property for All Attorneys,” State Bar of Texas Asian Pacific Interest Section, 24th Annual APIS Conference (April 2019)
- Center for Child Protection, Board Member, 2020 – Present
- Austin Intellectual Property Law Association,
- Chairperson, Inventor of the Year/Awards Committee, 2015-2019
- Chairperson, Technology Committee, 2019-Present
- International School of Texas
- Secretary, Board of Trustees, 2016-2018
- Board of Trustees, 2014-2018
- Austin Asian American Bar Association, Leadership Council, 2013-2017
- Austin Bar Association