Christopher R. Mugica
Christopher Mugica is partner at Jackson Walker LLP and former head of the Austin Litigation section. A significant part of Christopher’s litigation practice is focused on defending officers, directors, and trustees in fiduciary litigation. He also has significant experience in aiding clients with collateral issues that arise as a result of the separation or expulsion of corporate members, directors, and partners. His general commercial litigation experience includes trade secret disputes, complex commercial transactions, and disputes arising from real estate developments and improvements. In addition to his litigation practice, Christopher regularly advises corporate clients, boards, and nonprofits on general corporate governance and fiduciary responsibilities.
B.A., University of Texas at Austin
J.D., Notre Dame Law School
United States Supreme Court
United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
United States District Courts for the Northern, Southern and Western District of Texas
- Experienced Conflict Resolution Specialist
- Successfully obtained reversal of adverse judgment against nonprofit organization and dismissal of all claims alleged against individual officers and directors.
- Defended non-profit association in property dispute seeking $11 million in damages under theories of tortious interference and business disparagement. Obtained a directed verdict on primary tort claims. At the conclusion of the trial, a defense verdict was rendered in favor of the client and the Court granted all relief requested by counterclaim, including attorneys’ fees, which were affirmed on appeal by the Third Court of Appeals.
- Successfully defended national insurance company in massive real estate litigation involving claims of conspiracy and fraud. Obtained summary judgment dismissing all claims against client, which was affirmed on appeal to the Third Court of Appeals.
- Defended client in a case concerning a highly contested dispute between two limited partners arising from the management and sale of millions of dollars in partnership property. Obtained a take-nothing verdict and approximately $600,000 in attorney fees. Represented the client in the Texas Fourth Court of Appeals in San Antonio where the court upheld the verdict, affirmed summary judgments obtained in his favor, and affirmed his right to recover attorneys’ fees.
- Defended homeowner’s association against a lawsuit involving liens that it had imposed upon a developer for unpaid assessments. Obtained a summary judgment resulting in the dismissal of all claims and the recovery of unpaid fees, interest, penalties, and attorney fees. Represented the client in the Third Court of Appeals where the court affirmed the trial court’s summary judgment.
- Defended a green energy client in a jury trial involving claims brought against the company by a consumer over a geothermal HVAC and solar panel installation. Obtained a take-nothing verdict in favor of the client and awarded costs against the plaintiffs.
- “Austin’s Top Attorneys” List – Civil Law Litigation, Austin Monthly, 2021
- The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White Inc.), Commercial Litigation, 2016-2023
- AYLA Mentor Award, Austin Young Lawyers Association, 2018
- Suzanne Covington Award, 2009, 2016
- Rising Star, Super Lawyers – Rising Stars by Thomson Reuters, 2008-2010, 2012-2014
- Austin Under 40, 1998
- American Bar Association
- Capital Area Council of the Boy Scouts of America
- Executive Board Member, 2013-2018
- Chaplain, Local Area Troop
- Assistant Scout Master
- Leadership Austin, 2005-2006
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity
- Fellow, 2013
- Executive Committee & Co-Chair of Alumni Symposium, 2015-2016
- Notre Dame Law Association and Alumni Foundation
- State Bar of Texas Minority Counsel Program
- Co-chair, 2013-2014
- Steering committee, 2011-2018
- Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Nominations Committee, 2018
- Texas Rugby Alumni Association, Board of Directors, 2005-2012
- Travis County’s “Do the Write Thing” Texas Challenge Program, Co-chair, 2011-Present
- YMBL Foundation, Board Member, 2014-present
August 18, 2022Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 214 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2023 Edition, Including 11 “Lawyers of the Year” and 41 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 214 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 79 specialty practice areas in its 2023 edition, including 11 Lawyers of the Year and 41 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
October 5, 2021Newsletters
View Jackson Walker’s October 2021 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
August 19, 2021Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 178 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2022 Edition, Including 8 “Lawyers of the Year” and 31 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 178 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 67 specialty practice areas in its 2022 edition, including 8 Lawyers of the Year and 31 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
August 3, 2021Attorney News
Jackson Walker congratulates the 20 attorneys recognized among “Austin’s Top Attorneys” for 2021. For recognition in the list, Austin attorneys must be nominated by their peers on the basis that they offer experienced counsel in one of 43 categories.
March 23, 2021Speaking Engagements
As middle and high school students from underrepresented communities gather on Thursday, March 25 for the Color of Justice virtual speaker series, Chris Mugica will join a panel of attorneys as they discuss a career in the law.
February 11, 2021Newsletters
View Jackson Walker’s February 2021 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
August 20, 2020Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 164 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2021 Edition, Including 9 “Lawyers of the Year” and 25 “Ones to Watch”
Jackson Walker congratulates the 164 attorneys who were selected by their peers as Best Lawyers, including 9 Lawyers of the Year and 25 Ones to Watch, across 6 offices and 66 specialty practice areas.
March 26, 2020Insights
The City of Austin and Travis and Williamson counties each issued a “shelter in place” order to remain in effect until April 13, 2020, unless extended.
November 11, 2019Attorney News
State Bar Office of Minority Affairs Spotlights Chevazz Brown and Chris Mugica at the 27th Annual Texas Minority Counsel Program
The 27th Annual Texas Minority Counsel Program featured client development and networking opportunities, CLE programs, and a Keynote Awards Luncheon, during which Chris took the stage to announce Chevazz as the TMCP Trailblazer of the Year Award honoree.
September 26, 2019Spotlight
Jackson Walker celebrates a number of recent accolades received in 2019 for our efforts to recruit, retain, promote, and train an increasingly diverse team, including an ‘A’ grade in the Austin Law Firm Diversity Report Card and more.