Christopher R. Mugica
Christopher Mugica is partner at Jackson Walker LLP and former head of the Austin Litigation section. A significant part of Christopher’s litigation practice is focused on defending officers, directors, and trustees in fiduciary litigation. He also has significant experience in aiding clients with collateral issues that arise as a result of the separation or expulsion of corporate members, directors, and partners. His general commercial litigation experience includes trade secret disputes, complex commercial transactions, and disputes arising from real estate developments and improvements. In addition to his litigation practice, Christopher regularly advises corporate clients, boards, and nonprofits on general corporate governance and fiduciary responsibilities.
B.A., University of Texas at Austin
J.D., University of Notre Dame The Law School
United States Supreme Court
United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
United States District Courts for the Northern, Southern and Western District of Texas
- Experienced Conflict Resolution Specialist
- Successfully obtained reversal of adverse judgment against nonprofit organization and dismissal of all claims alleged against individual officers and directors.
- Defended non-profit association in property dispute seeking $11 million in damages under theories of tortious interference and business disparagement. Obtained a directed verdict on primary tort claims. At the conclusion of the trial, a defense verdict was rendered in favor of the client and the Court granted all relief requested by counterclaim, including attorneys’ fees, which were affirmed on appeal by the Third Court of Appeals.
- Successfully defended national insurance company in massive real estate litigation involving claims of conspiracy and fraud. Obtained summary judgment dismissing all claims against client, which was affirmed on appeal to the Third Court of Appeals.
- Defended client in a case concerning a highly contested dispute between two limited partners arising from the management and sale of millions of dollars in partnership property. Obtained a take-nothing verdict and approximately $600,000 in attorney fees. Represented the client in the Texas Fourth Court of Appeals in San Antonio where the court upheld the verdict, affirmed summary judgments obtained in his favor, and affirmed his right to recover attorneys’ fees.
- Defended homeowner’s association against a lawsuit involving liens that it had imposed upon a developer for unpaid assessments. Obtained a summary judgment resulting in the dismissal of all claims and the recovery of unpaid fees, interest, penalties, and attorney fees. Represented the client in the Third Court of Appeals where the court affirmed the trial court’s summary judgment.
- Defended a green energy client in a jury trial involving claims brought against the company by a consumer over a geothermal HVAC and solar panel installation. Obtained a take-nothing verdict in favor of the client and awarded costs against the plaintiffs.
- AYLA Mentor Award, Austin Young Lawyers Association, 2018
- The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White Inc.)
- Commercial Litigation, 2016-2021
- Suzanne Covington Award, 2009,2016
- Rising Star, Thomson Reuters, 2008-2010, 2012-2014
- Austin Under 40, 1998
- American Bar Association
- Capital Area Council of the Boy Scouts of America
- Executive Board Member, 2013-2018
- Chaplain, Local Area Troop
- Assistant Scout Master
- Leadership Austin, 2005-2006
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity
- Fellow, 2013
- Executive Committee & Co-Chair of Alumni Symposium, 2015-2016
- Notre Dame Law Association and Alumni Foundation
- State Bar of Texas Minority Counsel Program
- Co-chair, 2013-2014
- Steering committee, 2011-2018
- Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Nominations Committee, 2018
- Texas Rugby Alumni Association, Board of Directors, 2005-2012
- Travis County’s “Do the Write Thing” Texas Challenge Program, Co-chair, 2011-Present
- YMBL Foundation, Board Member, 2014-present