Connecting With Summer Associates
|Across the Austin, Dallas, Fort Worth, Houston, and San Antonio offices, our 2023 Summer Associates have acquired some hands-on experience while having some fun along the way. As part of our summer program, each city hosts social events to provide summer associates with the opportunity to get a feel for our culture and find out if our Firm is a great fit for them. Many of the summer associates also got involved in our community outreach efforts. Learn more about our summer program »|
NEWS & NOTES
South Korean Business Community Growth in Houston
In an interview with KHOU 11, Sang Shin discussed the growing South Korean business community and his role in helping companies navigate the U.S. legal system and providing guidance on the best ways to succeed. Read more »
Nancy Hamilton Honored by Skidmore College
On May 18, 2023, Nancy Hamilton was presented with the Denis B. Kemball-Cook Award from her alma mater, Skidmore College.
Over the years, Nancy has had a positive impact on Skidmore as Chair of the Board of Trustees since 2019, as co-chair of the Creating Our Future: The Campaign for Skidmore fundraising campaign, and as a member of the President’s Advisory Council, the Alumni Association Board of Directors, and the Advancement, Executive, Trusteeship, and Academic Affairs committees. Read more »
Fast Takes Podcast
|Jamila Brinson and Shelisa Brock are both first-generation attorneys who have found their place at Jackson Walker, helping provide for their families and mentoring those who are new to the legal profession. Jamila and Shelisa discuss their upbringings and journeys to practicing law. Listen here »||Jackie Staple walked through the Pregnant Workers Fairness Act (PWFA), which requires covered employers to provide reasonable accommodations to a worker’s known limitations related to pregnancy, childbirth, or other related medical conditions, unless the accommodation will cause the employer an undue hardship. Listen here »|
Welcoming New Diverse Talent
As we continue to intensify our efforts to recruit diverse talent, we are proud to have welcomed the following women and diverse attorneys from April 2023 through July 2023:
Senior Counsel, Austin
During the second through third quarter of 2023, the Firm received the following recognitions:
- Jackson Walker was honored by Project Unity with the 2023 Corporate Unity – Legacy Award. The Unity Awards recognize corporate and organizational partners and individuals for championing the causes of racial healing, social justice and diversity, and equity and inclusion efforts. Read more »
- Jackson Walker received top rankings in the Chambers Associate Satisfaction Surveys 2023. View our profile on Chambers Associate. Read more »
- Our 2024 Vault Rankings top ranks included Best Summer Associate Program and Quality of Life. Read more »
- Our client Edwin Cabaniss won in the Community Impact category at the 2023 Commercial Real Estate Awards for the Longhorn Ballroom. Presented by D CEO, the annual awards recognized outstanding projects, deals, and industry players. Read more »
- Jackson Walker became a member of the Diversity & Flexibility Alliance. The Diversity & Flexibility Alliance partners with organizations to help create inclusive cultures that promote diversity and flexibility to attract and retain top talent.
In addition, the following women and diverse individuals received notable achievements:
- Kristhy Peguero was recognized among the list of “The 2023 Lawdragon 500 Leading Bankruptcy & Restructuring Lawyers.” Read more »
- 24 Dallas-based attorneys were included in D Magazine’s list of the “Best Lawyers in Dallas” for 2023, including Greta Cowart, Mario Perez Dolan, Suzan Kedron, Virginia Mimmack, Debbie Robinowitz, and Nate St. Clair. Read more »
- Art Cavazos and Amanda Crouch were recognized among Lawdragon 500 X – The Next Generation” list for 2023. Read more »
- 12 Austin-based attorneys were recognized among Austin Monthly’s list of “Austin’s Top Attorneys” for 2023, including Christopher Mugica, Emilio Nicolas, Joshua Romero, Michelle Rosenblatt, Erin Tuggle, and Jennifer Wertz. Read more »
- Wasif Qureshi was recognized by Managing IP as a 2023 Patent Star in Texas and on the national level. Additionally, Jackson Walker was named as a recommended law firm in Texas for patent prosecution. Read more »
- Chambers and Partners selected 51 of our attorneys for inclusion in the 2023 edition of the USA guide. Congratulations to Jennifer Caughey, Stephanie Chandler, Kelly Cobb, Amanda Crouch, Linda Donohoe, Jennifer Freel, Erica Benites Giese, Meghan Griffiths, Mary Emma Ackels Karam, Suzan Kedron, Pam Madere, Julia Mann, Virginia Alverson Mimmack, Lindsey Moorhead, Cynthia Brotman Nelson, Joshua Romero, David Schlottman, Robert Soza, and Katherine Staton on this recognition! See what Chambers had to say about this outstanding group »
Achieving Results for Clients
Attorneys across various practices and backgrounds come together to serve the needs of our clients. From the pitch to the end result, our teams include women and diverse attorneys who are involved at every stage of the representation. The following matters from April to July 2023 were handled by teams that were led by or included women and diverse attorneys:
- Carey Hain represented the East River master developer in an agreement with Port Houston to relocate their headquarters to a newly constructed 95,000-square foot office building within Midway’s East River mixed-use development. Read more »
- Carlos Treviño and Art Cavazos served on the Jackson Walker team that represented Grupo Cuprum, S.A.P.I. de C.V. (“Grupo Cuprum”) in the closure of a new $280 million syndicated loan. BBVA México acted as Sole Lead Arranger and Bookrunner for the transaction. Read more »
- Three amicus briefs were filed in the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals in Little v. Llano County, which involves a First Amendment challenge to Llano County’s removal of books from public library shelves. Maggie Burreson served on the Jackson Walker team that filed amicus briefs in support of the petitioners. Read more »
- Courtney Wade, Heather Waters, and Graeme Hawkins served on the Jackson Walker team that represented Wincoram Asset Management, LLC in the acquisition of PureWest Energy, LLC (“PureWest”) by a private consortium of family offices and financial institutions (“PW Consortium”). PureWest completed an all-cash merger with a newly formed entity sponsored by PW Consortium for a total consideration of $1.84 billion. Read more »
- Jennifer Caughey co-led a major appellate victory for the Hidalgo County Water Improvement District (HCWID) No. 3 in an important eminent domain and immunity dispute before the Supreme Court of Texas. The central issue was whether a land-owning governmental entity could unilaterally stop an authorized condemnation by asserting governmental immunity from suit. the team included Danica Milios. Read more »
- Sarah Patel Pacheco and Joshua Flores co-led the representation of Leslie Bean and the estate of her husband, NASA astronaut Alan Bean, in a victory in Harris County probate court. The jury awarded $1.66 million in damages for counterclaims asserted against Amy Bean, Alan Bean’s daughter from a prior marriage, for her improper conduct as a co-executor of Alan’s estate. Read more »
- Suzan Kedron has been named a fellow of the Texas Bar Foundation. Read more »
- Leisa Peschel has been elected Vice President of the Houston Intellectual Property Law Association.
- Carey Hain has been elected as Chair-Elect of the Houston Bar Association Real Estate Law Section. Read more »
- Lauren Hunsaker has been elected as a Council Member of the Houston Bar Association Real Estate Law Section. Read more »
- Sang Shin was appointed Chair-Elect of the Asian Pacific Interest Section of the State Bar of Texas. Read more »
- Lauren Ciminello was appointed to the Board of Trustees for Keystone Schools. Read more »
- Chris Mugica has been selected to join the Board of Directors for Leadership Austin.
- Jessica Palvino serves as Board Secretary of Sobering Center-Austin.
- Miguel Ortiz was named by Dallas Association of Young Lawyers as “One to Watch”. Read more »
- Luke Gilman has been appointed President-Elect of the Hispanic Bar Association of Houston.
Achieving Results for Pro Bono Clients
On May 5, the United States Supreme Court issued a stay of execution for Richard Glossip after it was requested by the State of Oklahoma and Glossip’s defense team. This comes after the Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals (OCCA) denied Glossip’s request, joined by the State of Oklahoma, to have his conviction overturned. Christina Vitale is the co-lead of the independent investigation into Glossip’s case. Read more »
Women in Law
|Priya Coffey joined the How I Lawyer Podcast hosted by Jonah Perlin. Priya discussed her decision to become a lawyer, how a clerkship changed her professional life, the unique parts of real estate law, and more. Listen to the episode »||In an interview with Austin Business Journal, Pamela Madere, alongside a panel of female executives, discussed how they’ve made it to the top of their careers and their advice for young female professionals. See the full article here »|
PracticePro: Dispelling the Disability Dilemma
In Dispelling the Disability Dilemma Episode II: Lessons from Practicing Attorneys from PractiePro, Randy Farber shares with Dan Ankenman how he has succeeded in the legal profession with a disability and helped foster a greater understanding and inclusion of people with disabilities in the legal community. Read more »
EVENTS & SPONSORSHIPS
‘Together We’ Unity Awards by Project Unity
On June 15, 2023, Jackson Walker was presented with Project Unity’s Corporate Unity – Legacy Award presented at ‘Together We Sing’ at the Morton H. Meyerson Symphony Center in Dallas, Texas. Suzan Kedron represented JW at the ceremony.
The ‘Legacy’ award honors those who have used their influence on behalf of Project Unity to leave a legacy of hope and change for social relations. Project Unity is a year-long collaborative effort of programs and events hosted in partnership with various sectors of the Dallas community.
Berkeley Law Executive Education Program
Suzan Kedron and Chad Cole completed the “Sustainable Capitalism & ESG” certificate course from Berkeley Law’s Executive Education program. Through a combination of focused lectures and case studies, curated readings, and in-depth interviews with over 50 thought leaders, the course demonstrated how to incorporate environmental, social, and governance considerations into business and investment strategy.
HIPLA Annual Dinner
JW served as a sponsor at the Houston Intellectual Property Law Association (HIPLA) Annual Dinner Honoring the Federal Judiciary on April 27, 2023. Leisa Talbert Peschel (HIPLA’s Annual Fall Institute Committee Chair) and Tori Cooper Emery attended.
Fireside Chat with AMOCO Federal Credit Union
On May 4, 2023, Chevazz Brown hosted a fireside chat with Jeremy Silva, Chief Financial Officer of AMOCO Federal Credit Union. During the discussion, Chevazz and Jeremy discussed the recent bank closings, the uniqueness of credit unions, and what is potentially in store for us in the near future.
Lambda Legal Landmark Dinner
JW severed as a sponsor at the 50th annual Lambda Legal Landmark Dinner in Dallas on August 12, 2023. Attendees included Graham McCall, Sarah Montgomery, Shannon Teicher, Michael Kaufman Graham McCall, Sarah Montgomery, Shannon Teicher, Michael Kaufman, Lauren Mutti (JW Alum), and Alan Greenspan (JW Alum).
AABA Speed Networking Program
JW’s Houston office hosted the Asian American Bar Association’s (AABA) Speed Networking program on April 25, 2023 and July 18, 2023. The events brought together members of the AABA, the South Asian Bar Association of Houston, the Korean American Bar, the Texas Filipino American Bar, and the Muslim Bar Association of Houston for an evening of cocktails and connections. Catharine Yen serves as a member on the AABA Diversity and Inclusion Committee.
Attorneys Serving the Community 2023 Luncheon
On June 16, 2023, Natalie Kosydar, Sabina Bramlett, Dana Nguyen, Monica Pace Messick, Katie Brown, Lindsey Marsh Brown, Alejandra Siller, and Claire Raggio represented JW at the Attorneys Serving the Community (ASC) 2023 Luncheon in Dallas.
Jackson Walker has proudly served as a sponsor of ASC for over 20 years.
Mental Health & Wellness
Congratulations to Chad Cole on completing the University of South Florida Mental Health & Wellness in the Workplace certificate program!
Chinquapin Preparatory School
Jamila Brinson, Heather Waters, Paisley Park, and Valery Piedra attended the Chinquapin Preparatory School Fundraiser on April 13, 2023.
Chinquapin Prep is a non-profit college-preparatory school for grades 6 through 12, primarily serving economically disadvantaged youth from the Houston area. Chinquapin Preparatory School’s mission is to provide a high-quality college-preparatory education to able and motivated youth from underserved families in the greater Houston area.
San Antonio Food Bank’s Food from the Bar
As part of the San Antonio Food Bank’s Food from the Bar initiative, the San Antonio office hosted fundraiser activities. Julia Mann, Leah Smith Sanchez, Josué Galván, Robert Soza, Bobby Biedrzycki, and Brandon Durrett gathered peanut butter to donate to the food bank, and on May 13, 2023, Brandon Durrett, Finnian Cornelison, Mark Miller, and Felicia Alderete volunteered at the SA Food Bank community kitchen.
Reagan Marble organized a big money event where attendees could buy a cream pie for 10% of the cost of an oil barrel ($70) to throw right in the face of Bobby Biedrzycki. Brian Pettis, along with our summer associates, embraced the spirit of giving and bought a whopping six pies to make this hilarious moment come to life!
APIS 25th Annual Conference
Jackson Walker served as a sponsor at the Asian Pacific Interest Section (APIS) of the State Bar of Texas’ 25th Annual Conference. Sang Shin, Jeremy Sheng, Chevazz Brown, Shari Mao, Yenmi Tang, Maggie Lu, and Dana Nguyen attended.
Yenmi and Shari served as speakers.
Lavender Law Conference
Kathy Silver, Luke Franz, and Shannon Wright represented JW at the Lavender Law Conference & Career Fair presented by the National LGBTQ+ Bar Association and Foundation in Chicago, Illinois on July 24-26, 2023.
State of Latino Entrepreneurship
On July 17, 2023, Marisela Gonzalez, Valery Piedra, Mahira Khan, and summer associate Mariana Gonzalez Davia attended the Latino Business Action Network (LBAN) and Dream Big Ventures LLC reception and networking event “The State of Latino Entrepreneurship”, that featured LBAN’s CEO as the keynote speaker.
Fiesta San Antonio: Battle of Flowers Parade
Jackson Walker’s San Antonio office joined the festivities at Battle of Flowers Parade. The largest and oldest Parade in San Antonio, the Battle of the Flowers Association is a civic non-profit organization produced entirely by women volunteers.
LCLD Happy Hour
Jackson Walker served as a sponsor during the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity’s (LCLD) “Summer on the Road” Happy Hour at St. Arnold’s on July 27, 2023. Sang Shin, Paisley Park, Dawn Holiday, Marisela Gonzalez, Jamila Brinson, and Jeremy Sheng represented JW.
Houston Office D&I Celebration
Priya Coffey hosted the Jackson Walker Houston Office D&I Celebration on May 4, 2023. It was a great turnout of our diverse attorneys!
These materials are made available by Jackson Walker for informational purposes only, do not constitute legal advice, and are not a substitute for legal advice from qualified counsel. The laws of other states and nations may be entirely different from what is described. Your use of these materials does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and Jackson Walker. The facts and results of each case will vary, and no particular result can be guaranteed.
© 2023 Jackson Walker