J. Scott Rose
In over thirty years of practice, Scott has served as attorney and counselor to national lending, finance, and investment institutions in complex real estate and commercial business transactions. With extensive experience in commercial lending and corporate debt restructuring, Scott has represented clients in the acquisition of distressed companies or assets through bankruptcy proceedings. He has also been appointed as a receiver or trustee in federal and state court proceedings, acting as both advocate and business executive.
In addition to his legal practice, Scott served on the Firm’s management committee and as managing partner of the San Antonio office from 2015-2019.
Approach to Practice
How do you define success? That is the question Scott asks each time he is consulted as an attorney, counselor, receiver or trustee. Whether he is representing a client as an advocate or serving a court in a fiduciary capacity, Scott’s focus is always the same – achieving a clearly defined objective in an efficient and timely manner.
When consensual resolutions prove unattainable, Scott has served as lead counsel in bankruptcy-related litigation involving allegedly voidable transfers under both state and federal law. He has argued and prevailed in precedent-setting cases before bankruptcy courts, federal district courts, and the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Scott is currently serving as receiver for an operating entity in Austin, Texas, and a judgment debtor in San Antonio. He is frequently considered for appointment as a chapter 11 trustee for businesses operating in federal bankruptcy proceedings.
B.A., with highest honors, University of Tennessee
J.D., with honors, University of Tennessee College of Law
United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
United States Bankruptcy Court for the Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western Districts of Texas
United States District Court for the Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western Districts of Texas
- The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White Inc.)
- Bankruptcy and Creditor-Debtor Rights Law / Insolvency and Reorganization Law, 2010-2020
- Litigation – Bankruptcy, 2012-2020
- Lawyer of the Year, Bankruptcy / Restructuring, 2013, 2016
- Lawyer of the Year, Bankruptcy – Litigation, 2015
- Lawyer of the Year, Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law, 2018
- Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2012-2019
- “Best S.A. Lawyers” List, San Antonio Scene, 2017-2019
- Real Estate Transactions
- Outstanding Lawyer, San Antonio Business Journal, 2013
Scott Rose is a periodic lecturer on creditor’s rights and bankruptcy issues at various professional seminars.
- “Third-Party Releases and Exculpations in Chapter 11 Proceedings,” Panel Moderator, National Conference of Bankruptcy Judges Annual Meeting, ABA Business Bankruptcy Committee (October, 2018)
- “Commercial Bankruptcy Tips – News You Will Likely Use in the Next Twelve Months,” Pancake Breakfast Round Table CLE hosted by the Association of Corporate Counsel South/Central Texas Chapter (August 2018)
- Texas State Bar Association
- San Antonio Chamber Choir, Board of Directors