Jessica B. Palvino
Jessica Palvino advises plan sponsors, plan administrators, and tax-exempt entities on the ever-changing world of employee benefits, executive compensation, and tax obligations. As a former Legal and Compliance COO for the largest public retirement system in Texas, Jessica understands the operational challenges related to plan sponsorship and administration, and is well-versed in handling regulatory compliance issues and corrections to plan administration errors.
Plan sponsors and administrators rely on Jessica for assistance in ensuring compliance with the Internal Revenue Code, ERISA, Affordable Care Act, COBRA, HIPAA, and related regulatory notices. She also advises on the various tax issues related to benefit plans, including penalties under the employer mandate, annual 1099-R and 1042-S tax reporting obligations, rollovers, required minimum distributions, defined benefit limit testing, and withholding and reporting obligations for nonresident aliens.
Jessica has represented clients in defending benefit appeals, including before the State Office of Administrative Hearings. She has tried multiple cases to jury verdict and administrative hearings to final Proposals For Decision for both plaintiffs and defendants. She has also successfully litigated products cases in state and federal courts in California, District of Columbia, Iowa, New Jersey, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Texas, Vermont, and Virginia.
B.A., Texas A&M University
J.D., cum laude, Baylor Law School
L.L.M., Taxation – Executive Program, New York University School of Law
- The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White Inc.), Tax Law, 2023-2024
- Texas Rising Star, Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2014-2016
- Outstanding Young Lawyer Award, Austin Bar Foundation and Austin Bar Association, 2015
- Litigation Department of the Year – Products Liability, Texas Lawyer, 2015
- Served on the Helton v. Allergan team that won “Verdict of the Year” in the State of Oklahoma, 2010
- Speaker, “Employee and Independent Contractor Classification Issues,” Tax Law 2023: Tax Law in the Digital Age Conference (August 2023)
- Speaker, “Be Friends With Your Benefits: Five Things Every Corporate Counsel Should Know About Their Company’s Benefits Plan,” The University of Texas School of Law’s (UT Law CLE) 45th Annual Corporate Counsel Institute (May 2023)
- Speaker, “What Every Attorney Needs to Know About Deferred Compensation: A 409A Primer,” Tax Law in a Day Conference (February 2023)
- Speaker, “What Every Employment Lawyer Needs to Know: How ERISA Can Benefit You,” The University of Texas School of Law’s (UT Law CLE) Studio Webcast, (December 2022)
- State Bar of Texas – Tax Section, Vice-Chair of the Employee Benefits Committee
- Sobering Center, Director and Chair of the Governance Committee
- Thinkery, Past Director and Past Chair, 2013-2018
- City of Austin Charter Review Commission, Chair, 2018
August 24, 2023Newsletters
View Jackson Walker’s August 2023 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
August 17, 2023Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 287 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2024 Edition, Including 12 “Lawyers of the Year” and 80 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 287 Jackson Walker attorneys across 5 offices and 82 specialty practice areas in its 2024 edition, including 12 Lawyers of the Year and 80 Ones to Watch. In this year’s guide, Jackson Walker saw the largest number of attorneys in the areas of Commercial Litigation (66 attorneys) and Real Estate Law (60 attorneys) and the addition of 35 attorneys as Best Lawyers.
August 10, 2023Speaking Engagements
Jessica Palvino Speaks on Employee and Independent Contractor Classification Issue at Texas Bar CLE Conference
Jackson Walker senior counsel Jessica B. Palvino is scheduled to present during the Tax Law 2023: Tax Law in the Digital Age Conference, providing insights on tax and benefits issues that arise in connection with employee and independent contractor classification.
April 28, 2023Speaking Engagements
Jackson Walker senior counsel Jessica B. Palvino is scheduled to present during The University of Texas School of Law’s (UT Law CLE) 45th Annual Corporate Counsel Institute on Friday, May 5, 2023.
January 27, 2023Speaking Engagements
Jackson Walker senior counsel Jessica B. Palvino and associate Alyca Riley Garrison are scheduled to present during the Tax Law in a Day Conference, providing insights on Section 409A of the Internal Revenue Code. Sponsored by the Tax Section of the State Bar of Texas, the conference will be held online on February 2-3, 2023.
December 7, 2022Speaking Engagements
Jessica Palvino to Discuss What Employment Lawyers Need to Know About ERISA at UT Law CLE’s Studio Webcast
Jackson Walker senior counsel Jessica B. Palvino is scheduled to present during The University of Texas School of Law Office of Continuing Legal Education (UT Law CLE) Studio Webcast on Thursday, December 15, 2022.
November 17, 2022Newsletters
View Jackson Walker’s November 2022 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
September 27, 2022Client Results
Novaria Group, a leading manufacturer of specialty hardware, components, and coatings for the aerospace and defense industries, recently completed its acquisition of STROCO Manufacturing, Inc. This deal marks the sixth acquisition Novaria has announced from December of 2021 through July of 2022, taking place after its successful acquisitions of FMi Chemical, Hohman Plating, Advanced Coating, Hydro Fitting, and GK Mechanical Systems.
August 29, 2022Client Results
Atlas Copco, a Swedish industrial tools and equipment manufacturer, has announced the acquisition of client Montana Instruments Corporation for an undisclosed purchase price. The acquisition is expected to close during the fourth quarter of 2022.