Kelly D. Cobb
Kelly D. Cobb is a partner in the Business Immigration & Compliance section of Jackson Walker’s Houston office. Kelly primarily focuses on U.S. corporate immigration law, including applications/petitions for all visa categories and paths to U.S. permanent residence and naturalization. She offers experienced counsel related to navigating the intricacies of ever-changing laws, regulations, and government processes in Immigration law.
She has more than 20 years of experience counseling clients in the development and implementation of strategic immigration policies and advising U.S. and international clients on immigration issues related to corporate restructuring, including mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, and start-ups.
Kelly has in-depth experience working within Houston’s international energy sector, primarily focusing on large-volume corporate immigration, including management of both U.S. immigration and global migration. She has more than 20 years of experience counseling clients in U.S. Outer Continental Shelf compliance, particularly focusing on assisting international corporations in vessel exemptions, specialist work authorizations, crew member exemptions, and crew and specialist mobilization.
B.A., Texas State University
J.D., South Texas College of Law Houston
Supreme Court of Texas
- Representing U.S. and global corporations in obtaining work authorizations for entire vessel crew and specialists assigned to the U.S. Outer Continental Shelf
- Managing PERM labor certification programs for large engineering and information technology companies sponsoring their employees for permanent residence
- Advising U.S. and international clients on immigration implications for complex corporate restructuring
- Partnering with clients to proactively address the issues related to maintaining and deploying an international workforce
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Ranked for Immigration – Texas, 2006-2008, 2017-2023
- The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White Inc.), 2010-2021, 2024
- Recommended Attorney, The Legal 500: United States (Legalese Ltd.), 2013
- “Texas Super Lawyer,” Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2009-2013
- Texas Rising Star, Super Lawyers – Rising Stars by Thomson Reuters, 2005-2007
- Author, “Employers Navigate Post-Pandemic Compliance and Regulatory Changes in a Shifting Immigration Landscape,” Texas Lawyer (September 2023)
- Author, “Hiring Foreign Professionals Could Help Alleviate U.S. Labor Shortage,” Texas Lawyer (September 2022)
- Panelist, “U.S. Business Immigration Virtual Roundtable,” Jackson Walker Webinar (September 2022)
- Speaker, “US Immigration & Global Migration: Managing a Global Workforce in a Post-Pandemic World,” Austin SHRM Annual Conference (August 2022)
- Speaker, “Redefining Success: Knowing What You Want, Why You Deserve It, and How to Get It”, The Women in Legal & Corporate Leadership Summit: Houston (March 2020)
- American Bar Association
- Houston Bar Association
- American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA)
- Texas Women Lawyers
- United Way Women’s Initiative
- United Way Young Leaders
- Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo
- Tahirih Justice Center
- Women’s Business Alliance (WBA), Greater Houston Partnership
- Greater Houston Partnership, Business Resource Group–Business Beyond Borders
- The Women’s Resource of Greater Houston, Advisory Council
September 27, 2023Insights
Employers Navigate Post-Pandemic Compliance and Regulatory Changes in a Shifting Immigration Landscape I Texas Lawyer
By Kelly D. Cobb
Now more than ever, it is vital that businesses review their internal immigration policies and processes, internal audit procedures, and training.
August 24, 2023Newsletters
View Jackson Walker’s August 2023 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
August 17, 2023Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 287 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2024 Edition, Including 12 “Lawyers of the Year” and 80 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 287 Jackson Walker attorneys across 5 offices and 82 specialty practice areas in its 2024 edition, including 12 Lawyers of the Year and 80 Ones to Watch. In this year’s guide, Jackson Walker saw the largest number of attorneys in the areas of Commercial Litigation (66 attorneys) and Real Estate Law (60 attorneys) and the addition of 35 attorneys as Best Lawyers.
June 1, 2023Spotlight
Chambers and Partners Recognizes Jackson Walker Attorneys and Practices in 2023 USA and Global Guides
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce that Chambers and Partners has selected 51 attorneys and 17 departments for inclusion in the 2023 edition of the Global and USA guides. Attorneys recognized in the guides were ranked in 19 practice areas, with 4 attorneys listed among multiple areas and 6 named among the top attorneys nationwide in their respective areas.
April 24, 2023Newsletters
View Jackson Walker’s April 2023 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
March 29, 2023Attorney News
Jackson Walker partner Kelly D. Cobb joined the 2023 advisory council of The Women’s Resource of Greater Houston.
February 9, 2023Podcasts
JW Fast Takes Podcast | ~7.5 minutes
The potential for layoffs or reductions in force could trigger immigration-related issues. Business Immigration & Compliance partners Kelly Cobb and Sang Shin join the Fast Takes podcast to cover key considerations as not all visas are created equal.
September 19, 2022Insights
By Kelly Cobb
There are visa categories that can help alleviate the worker shortages for many industries by enabling the hiring of legal nonimmigrant workers.
August 18, 2022Newsletters
View the August 2022 edition of the Labor & Employment Dispatch.