Mary Lou Flynn-DuPart
Mary Lou Flynn-DuPart is a Houston based litigation and intellectual property attorney who focuses on trying cases as well as assisting clients with navigating the changing landscape of electronic discovery in complex commercial and intellectual property litigation. She has been performing as first chair trial counsel for her clients since 1986.
Mary Lou assists as a member of a cohesive litigation team, the core of which has worked together for over eight years, bringing efficiency and maximum results from electronic data retention, collection, review and production using online databases, and the management, review, and use of electronic information in complex business litigation and intellectual property cases.
B.S., summa cum laude, University of Houston
J.D., cum laude, South Texas College of Law Houston
- Assistant Technical Editor, South Texas Law Journal
United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
United States District Court for the Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western Districts of Texas
United States District Court for the Western District of Oklahoma
- Michael Slagle v. Farmers Insurance Exchange, et al (Harris County 270th 2013) Mary Lou obtained a summary judgement on behalf of Farmers in a whistleblower claim
- D Design Holdings, L.P. v. Lionstone Urban Investments Two, LP, et al (Dallas County, 93rd 2010) Mary Lou successfully defended Lionstone, the purchaser of commercial real-estate, against claims by D Design Holdings, the seller, that they were entitled to post closing payment made by an anchor tenant. A jury found in favor or Lionstone and awarded attorney’s fees for Defendant.
- Sendo v. Microsoft Corporation – (E.D. Tex. 2002-2004). Mary Lou was involved the collection, production, and review of millions of pages of documents in this case alleging breach of contract and theft of trade secrets involving the development of a smart phone. The case settled favorably prior to trial.
- Nelkin v. R&L Trucking – (Harris County, 190th 2001) Mary Lou was lead trial counsel in a truck accident that left a 16-year-old girl with permanent brain damage. Plaintiff’s first witness caused a mistrial. After talking to the jury the case was re-mediated and settled on terms favorable to the defendant.
- Howland v. Tyler Pipe – (Smith County Court at Law 2000) Presiding Judge Thomas A. Dunn (concurrent jurisdiction with District Courts). Mary Lou and Richard Griffin were trial counsel for Swan Transportation, the parent company of Tyler Pipe, in a suit by former employees of Tyler Pipe suffering from alleged asbestosis and asbestos-related cancers. The legal defense of joint venture was on appeal when all of the asbestos cases against Swan Transportation settled.
- The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White Inc.), Commercial Litigation, 2024
- AV Preeminent, Martindale-Hubbell
- Gulf Coast Center – Brazoria and Galveston Counties, Board Member
- Texas Council Risk Management Fund – Statewide Pool for Community Centers, Board Chair
- Tri-County Behavioral Healthcare – Montgomery, Liberty, and Walker Counties, Board Attorney
August 17, 2023Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 287 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2024 Edition, Including 12 “Lawyers of the Year” and 80 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 287 Jackson Walker attorneys across 5 offices and 82 specialty practice areas in its 2024 edition, including 12 Lawyers of the Year and 80 Ones to Watch. In this year’s guide, Jackson Walker saw the largest number of attorneys in the areas of Commercial Litigation (66 attorneys) and Real Estate Law (60 attorneys) and the addition of 35 attorneys as Best Lawyers.
December 18, 2020Client Results
A Jackson Walker team led by Houston partners Chip Babcock, John Edwards, and Trey McDonald obtained a complete dismissal of a high-stakes 2016 class action suit filed against clients Dr. Mehmet Oz, his production company ZoCo Productions, Harpo Productions, and Sony Pictures Television.
December 23, 2014Attorney News
A Texas Lawbook article featured Mary Lou Flynn-DuPart discussing family-friendly holiday parties hosted by Texas law firms.
August 13, 2014Attorney News
Jackson Walker partner Mary Lou Flynn–DuPart will speak at “The Exchange” Houston, an interactive corporate e–discovery program series hosted by Today’s General Counsel Institute.
February 9, 2004Attorney News
Jackson Walker announces that the following attorneys have been elected as partners: Alexandre Bourgeois, Ray Charles Clark, Mary Lou Flynn-DuPart, W. Ross Forbes, Jr., Jeffrey G. Hamilton, James D. Prappas, and Mark Walters.