Patrick Knapp is a seasoned corporate attorney whose practice focuses on M&A, financings, and commercial transactions relating to midstream liquids such as crude oil, refined products, and oilfield produced water. He has represented oil and gas producers, marketers, refiners, midstream infrastructure providers, OFS companies, and oilfield waste recyclers in billions of dollars’ worth of transactions in the United States, Canada, and Mexico.
A self-described “utility player” for the midstream and refining industries, Pat brings a general counsel’s perspective to client matters. Relying on his prior in-house experience as managing counsel for the largest crude-by-rail provider in North America, he has done deals involving virtually all forms of petroleum commodity marketing and logistics, involving pipelines, terminals, gathering and processing facilities, rail, maritime, truck transportation, blending, and refining. He has advised the marketing desks of numerous major refining and midstream companies on compliance, commercial matters, transaction structuring, and working capital.
Previously, Pat served as the managing counsel of Bridger Logistics, the former midstream division of Ferrellgas Partners, L.P. (NYSE: FGP). In his role, he led and managed a series of high-profile litigation cases and M&A transactions, including a series of complex divestitures that culminated in his parent company’s successful exit and wind-down of its crude oil and produced water midstream businesses. He also served as the interim leader of the company’s South Texas saltwater disposal unit through its successful divestiture.
B.B.A., University of Notre Dame
J.D., SMU Dedman School of Law
- Represented public company in the acquisition of a crude oil trucking company.
- Represented private equity-backed company in the sale of crude oil and produced water trucking business.
- Represented Gulf Coast rail terminal in the negotiation of commercial contracts for the loading and unloading of petroleum products by train.
- Represented private operator in the negotiation of asset joint venture for saltwater recycling infrastructure.
- Represented public company in the acquisition of an oilfield metering software business.
- Represented refinery in the negotiation and drafting of long-term crude oil and refined product marketing and exchange agreements.
- Represented private operator in the acquisition of saltwater disposal wells, pipelines, and contracts.
- Represented private operator in the acquisition of produced water pipelines, contracts, and permits.
- Represented family office in the purchase and sale of South Texas saltwater disposal assets.
- Represented family office in the sale of West Texas oilfield waste landfill to major industry operator.
- Represented large family office in the equity sale of two oil terminals companies in public company transaction featuring an “unwinding” feature.
- Represented family office in the acquisition of 120,00bpd West Texas oil terminal and tank farm.
- Managed, negotiated, and drafted divestiture and wind-down of company’s midstream division in more than 30 separate carve-out M&A transactions over seven months.
- Managed, negotiated, and drafted successful carve-out sale of company’s crude oil marketing business.
- Managed, negotiated, and drafted the successful sale of tank railcar fleet.
- Managed, negotiated, and drafted the acquisition and sale of multiple terminal and pipeline assets.
- Negotiated and drafted midstream contracts for pipelines, gathering systems, terminals, rail, and trucking assets and facilities.
- Negotiated and drafted Farmout Agreements, Area of Mutual Interest Agreements, JOAs, and Participation Agreements for upstream and saltwater disposal clients.
- Negotiated and drafted numerous working capital facilities for commodity purchases and sales.
- Negotiated and drafted secured asset-based and reserve-based lending financing arrangements for midstream and upstream clients.
- Negotiated and drafted long-term prepayment financing arrangements for tank and pipeline inventories.
- Represented independent terminal operator in the sale and leaseback of crude oil and refined products terminal.
- Represented independent crude oil trucking carrier in the working capital financing of crude oil purchases at the lease and sales to the refinery
- Represented multiple clients in negotiation and funding of Main Street Program Loans secured by complex, capital-intense petroleum terminals and logistics assets.
- Author, Managing Risk with Oilfield Produced Water,” Dallas Bar Association Headnotes Newsletter (August 2023)
- Panelist, “Produced Water Law & Policy Update,” 3rd Annual Oilfield Water Markets Conference (May 2023)
- Moderator, “Water Infrastructure Projects,” State Bar of Texas Advanced Oil, Gas and Energy Resources Law Course (October 2022)
- Moderator, “CEO Fireside Chat,” Oilfield Water Markets 4th Annual Industry Update Conference (October 2022)
- Speaker, Jackson Walker’s Hot Topics in Oilfield Produced Water Webinar (July 2022)
- Speaker, “Overriding Concerns: Title Issues in Produced Water,” HAPL 53rd Annual Technical Workshop (April 2022)
- Panelist, “The Private E&P Operator Perspective on Water Management Optimization,” Oilfield Water Markets 2021 Conference (May 2021)
- Moderator, “Getting the Deal Done: A Discussion of Key Negotiation Points in Oil and Gas M&A,” 71st Annual Oil & Gas Law Conference (February 2020)
- Speaker, “Service Agreements in the Downturn,” Dallas Bar Association – Energy Law Section (April 2016)
- Speaker, “Crude By Rail from a Driller’s Perspective,” Review of Oil & Gas Law XXX, Dallas Bar Association (August 2015)
- Member, Texas Produced Water Consortium
- Dallas Bar Association – Energy Law Section
- State Bar of Texas – Oil, Gas & Mineral Law Section
- Notre Dame Club of Dallas
- Chairman of the Board of Trustees, Sister Loyola Foundation
May 1, 2023Speaking Engagements
The Third Annual Oilfield Water Markets Conference will feature a panel including Jackson Walker partner Pat Knapp as they discuss produced water and recent legal and policy developments. Fellow panelists include Ryan Sears (O’Melveny & Myers LLP), Keith Gardner (KJG Strategies), Justin Love (Blackbuck Resources), and Isaac Griesbaum (Winston & Strawn, LLP).
July 27, 2022Webinars
Wednesday, July 27, 2022 | 12 p.m. to 1 p.m. CT
Join Patrick Knapp, Reagan Marble, Ben Rhem, and Taylor Holcomb for this upcoming webinar as they provide an overview of how the midstream water business is among the fastest-growing segments of the oil and gas industry.
October 20, 2021Webinars
In this webinar, Jackson Walker attorneys provide an overview of how companies of all sizes can develop and follow Environmental, Social, & Governance practices to create great value for their organizations.
June 23, 2021Webinars
Wednesday, June 23, 2021 | 12 p.m. CDT
Join Jackson Walker and Echo Production for a webinar discussing environmental, social, and governance (ESG) issues and the impending impact on the energy industry.
April 26, 2021Speaking Engagements
During the Oilfield Water Markets 2021 Conference, Jackson Walker partner Pat Knapp will join a panel discussing the perspective of a private exploration and production (E&P) operator on optimized water management solutions.
February 22, 2021Attorney News
Joining the Energy practice, Pat Knapp brings a wealth of experience handling corporate transactions and energy litigation as in-house and outside counsel to domestic and international upstream, midstream, and downstream energy companies.