Peter K. Wahl
Peter K. Wahl’s practice spans a broad range of environmental, health and safety matters. Pete’s involvement with regulatory matters includes counseling regarding federal and state laws, regulations, and permits and their impact on industrial operations. Pete’s regulatory work includes a good deal of involvement with projects related to the remediation and redevelopment of contaminated property. Pete is also involved with the regulation of chemicals and other products under the federal Toxic Substances Control Act and other laws and also the development of programs necessary for American chemicals and other products to comply with the regulations of the European Union and other foreign jurisdictions.
Pete is also regularly involved with transactional matters, including the acquisition and divestiture of steelmaking, electric generation, and oil and gas assets. He is also involved in resolving and managing liability and litigation for clients dealing with sites across the country that have been listed on state and federal Superfund lists or otherwise subject to liability. Pete has also assisted with environmental aspects of several large bankruptcy reorganizations in the steel, chemical, manufacturing, and agriculture industries.
B.A., magna cum laude, Gustavus Adolphus College
M.S., University of Queensland (Australia)
J.D., magna cum laude, University of Minnesota Law School
United States District Court for the Northern, Southern, and Western Districts of Texas
- Representation of a fertilizer manufacturer in federal and state enforcement proceedings relating to a significant ammonia release.
- Representation of a chemical manufacturer in an OSHA investigation relating to a plant explosion and resulting injuries.
- Representation of refining, chemical and steel facilities in obtaining and modifying regulatory authorizations for air emission, waste generation, and stormwater and wastewater discharge.
- Representation of a former owner of a pesticide facility and its investigation, remediation, and regulatory closure.
Environmental Litigation Matters
- Representation of a major oil company in a lawsuit filed by the neighbor of a former gasoline service station.
- Representation of a chemical manufacturer in a lawsuit it filed against a former waste broker for contribution under the federal Superfund law and Texas Solid Waste Disposal Act.
- Representation of a number of dairy operators in a lawsuit filed by a local municipality relating to alleged contamination of its drinking water supply.
- Representation of an environmental laboratory manager in a multi-defendant, seven-week federal jury trial involving a 77-count fraud indictment.
- Representation of a private equity firm in its acquisition of a landfill and waste transfer stations.
- Representation of a steelmaker in its acquisition of a large steel mill and numerous other facilities used in the production of oilfield pipe.
- Representation of a major upstream oil and gas company in its simultaneous merger with two other oil and gas companies.
- Representation of clients in the resolution of environmental claims and bankruptcy reorganization of manufacturing and chemical companies.
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Ranked for Environment – Texas, 2022-2023
- The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White Inc.), 2013-2024
- Lawyer of the Year, Environmental Law, 2013
- Environmental Law, 2013-2024
- Litigation – Environmental, 2024
- “Best Lawyers in Dallas” List, D Magazine, 2015-2016, 2018-2021, 2023
- Who’s Who Legal: Texas, Environment, 2016, 2019
- Texas Rising Star, Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2009-2012
- “40 Under 40,” Dallas Business Journal, 2010
- “Best Lawyers in Dallas Under 40,” D Magazine, 2006
- Dallas Bar Association – Environmental Law Section
- Chairperson, 2010
- Executive Council, 2002-2010
- State Bar of Texas Environmental and Natural Resources Law Section, Executive Committee
- American Bar Association’s Section of Environment, Energy, and Resources
- Dallas Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Dallas Chamber of Commerce Leadership Dallas Class, 2014
- North Texas Business for Culture and the Arts’ Leadership Arts Class, 2009
- USA Film Festival, Board of Directors
- Northridge Presbyterian Church, Ruling Elder
August 17, 2023Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 287 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2024 Edition, Including 12 “Lawyers of the Year” and 80 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 287 Jackson Walker attorneys across 5 offices and 82 specialty practice areas in its 2024 edition, including 12 Lawyers of the Year and 80 Ones to Watch. In this year’s guide, Jackson Walker saw the largest number of attorneys in the areas of Commercial Litigation (66 attorneys) and Real Estate Law (60 attorneys) and the addition of 35 attorneys as Best Lawyers.
June 1, 2023Spotlight
Chambers and Partners Recognizes Jackson Walker Attorneys and Practices in 2023 USA and Global Guides
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce that Chambers and Partners has selected 51 attorneys and 17 departments for inclusion in the 2023 edition of the Global and USA guides. Attorneys recognized in the guides were ranked in 19 practice areas, with 4 attorneys listed among multiple areas and 6 named among the top attorneys nationwide in their respective areas.
April 25, 2023Attorney News
Jackson Walker congratulates the 24 attorneys recognized among D Magazine’s list of the “Best Lawyers in Dallas” for 2023. For recognition in the list, Dallas attorneys must be nominated by their peers on the basis that they offer unmatched counsel in one of 40 categories.
September 27, 2022Client Results
Novaria Group, a leading manufacturer of specialty hardware, components, and coatings for the aerospace and defense industries, recently completed its acquisition of STROCO Manufacturing, Inc. This deal marks the sixth acquisition Novaria has announced from December of 2021 through July of 2022, taking place after its successful acquisitions of FMi Chemical, Hohman Plating, Advanced Coating, Hydro Fitting, and GK Mechanical Systems.
August 25, 2022Attorney News
Peter Wahl on his election as Chair of the State Bar of Texas Environmental & Natural Resources Law Section.
August 18, 2022Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 214 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2023 Edition, Including 11 “Lawyers of the Year” and 41 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 214 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 79 specialty practice areas in its 2023 edition, including 11 Lawyers of the Year and 41 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
June 1, 2022Spotlight
Chambers and Partners Recognizes Jackson Walker Attorneys and Practices in 2022 USA and Global Guides
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce that Chambers and Partners has selected 48 attorneys and 16 departments for inclusion in the 2022 edition of the Global and USA guides.
November 23, 2021Client Results
Jackson Walker represented Prophet Equity in the acquisition of Tennessee-based RJV Equipment, LLC, a provider of new and used equipment sales, rental parts, and maintenance services to the utility infrastructure and commercial construction markets. The transaction closed on November 1, 2021, for an undisclosed amount.
November 19, 2021Client Results
A Jackson Walker team led by recent Fort Worth additions Evan Malloy, Kayla Matus, and Taylor Cummins represented Freedom Powersports in the sale of its business to Dallas-based RumbleON, Inc., the largest U.S. retailer of powersports vehicles. The transaction was announced on November 9, 2021, and is expected to close in late 2021 or the first quarter of 2022.
August 30, 2021Client Results
Jackson Walker Serves as US Counsel to Grupo Lamosa in Acquisition of Grupo Roca’s Flat Ceramic Division
Jackson Walker acted as U.S. counsel to Grupo Lamosa, S.A.B. de C.V., one of the world’s leading ceramic tile manufacturers, in the purchase of Grupo Roca’s flat ceramic division for $260 million. The transaction includes the acquisition of Tiles Investments and Holdings, SL and its subsidiaries, which have a presence in Spain, Brazil, and the United States.