Reagan M. Marble
Reagan’s award-winning practice focuses on complex conventional and renewable energy litigation and transactions throughout Texas and New Mexico.
In his energy litigation practice, Reagan’s experience ranges from multimillion-dollar title disputes in the Eagle Ford Shale and Permian Basin to renewable energy contract disputes along the Gulf Coast.
In his energy transactions practice, Reagan drafts and negotiates agreements affecting all aspects of upstream oil and gas exploration and production including oil and gas leases, surface use agreements, purchase and sale agreements, farmouts, and joint operating agreements.
Reagan is particularly well known for helping Texas and New Mexico landowners and companies develop, produce, sell, or dispose of their non-traditional natural resources including water (saltwater disposal agreements, freshwater sales contracts, and water joint operating agreements); sand (sand and gravel leases, sand supply contracts, and sand mine purchase and sale agreements); sun (solar leases); and wind (wind leases).
Born and raised on his family’s working cattle ranches in South Texas and Northeastern New Mexico, Reagan is an avid hunter and fisherman. As result of his passion for the outdoors, he frequently assists landowners with the negotiation of hunting leases and hunting advocacy groups with their legal needs.
A national award‐winning advocate, Reagan takes pride in being a professional and ethical advocate in the courtroom and the boardroom.
B.A., Baylor University
J.D., cum laude, Texas Tech University School of Law
Oil and Gas Litigation
Reagan’s oil and gas litigation experience is extensive including successfully obtaining summary dismissal of and defending on appeal an operator’s adverse title claims in which the plaintiff claimed over $100 million in damages and successfully prosecuting claims against an operator that it had improperly deducted costs from a landowner’s royalty.
Renewable Energy Litigation
Reagan has handled several renewable energy disputes ranging from settling a dispute for a confidential amount of money on behalf of a renewable energy developer in which a prospective partner circumvented the developer and cut it out of the deal to successfully resolving a dispute between an oil and gas company and a solar farm.
Upstream Oil and Gas Transactions
Reagan has negotiated multimillion dollar acquisitions and divestitures of minerals, leases, and other upstream oil and gas rights and behalf of landowners and oil and gas companies.
Water, Sand, Wind, and Solar Transactions
Reagan has negotiated and drafted tens of thousands of acres of water leases and disposal agreements on behalf of both landowners and developers, drafted custom operating agreements between working interest partners on water wells, negotiated and drafted several multi-million dollar purchase and sale agreements for acquisitions of sand producing properties and sand leases, and negotiated and drafted dozens of wind and solar leases.
- “Texas Rising Star,” Energy & Natural Resources, Super Lawyers – Rising Stars by Thomson Reuters, 2018-2021
- “Top Attorney” List, Energy – Oil & Gas, San Antonio Magazine, 2019
- “Best S.A. Lawyers” List, San Antonio Scene, 2018-2020
- Energy & Oil & Gas
- General Litigation
- “Rising Star Lawyers” List, Energy & Oil & Gas, San Antonio Scene, 2020
- Who’s Who in Energy, San Antonio Business Journal, 2015
- National Order of Barristers
- National Champion, ABA National Appellate Advocacy Competition
- Best Advocate (Preliminary Rounds), ABA National Appellate Advocacy Competition
- Reagan Marble & Peter Hosey, “Earth, Wind & Solar” (2021)
- Reagan M. Marble, “Crude awakening: Oil patch lawsuits shift into high gear,” Houston Chronicle (2020)
- Reagan Marble & Peter Hosey, “The Sand Paper: The Anatomy of Acquiring, Divesting, and Leasing Sand” (2020)
- Reagan Marble & Brandon Durrett, Vaquillas Unproven Minerals: Maybe You Didn’t Retain That Acreage, 120 PBLA Takeoff 110 (2016)
- James M. “Marty” Truss & Reagan M. Marble, Texas Oil and Gas Case Law Update, 2 Tex. A&M L. Rev. 353 (2015)
- Reagan M. Marble, The Last Frontier Regulating Factory Farms, 43 Tex. Envtl. L.J. 175 (2013)
- “Earth, Wind & Solar,” State Bar of Texas Oil, Gas & Energy Resources Law Section’s Oil & Gas Dispute Seminar (January 2021)
- “A Legal and Ethical Checklist For Mineral Buyers, Lease Brokers, and Their Lawyers,” HAPL Technical Educational Workshop (April 2021)
- “What the Uptick in Litigation Means for Oil & Gas Producers and Land Owners,” Jackson Walker Fast Takes Podcast (May 2020)
- “The Sand Paper: The Anatomy of Acquiring, Divesting, and Leasing Sand,” 46th Annual Ernest E. Smith Oil, Gas and Mineral Law Institute (March 2020)
- “Oil and Gas Case Law Update,” Natural Resources Section CLE, San Antonio Bar Association (February 2020)
- “The Sand Paper: The Anatomy of Acquiring, Divesting, and Leasing Sand” Oil, Gas & Mineral Law Section of the Austin Bar Association Luncheon (October 2019)
- “Recent Trends in Oil & Gas Litigation” (February 2019)
- Case Law Update, Permian Basin Landmen’s Association Education Seminar, Midland, Texas (April 2018)
- Case Law Update, San Antonio Association of Professional Landmen 29th Annual Mid-Winter Seminar, San Antonio, Texas (January 2018)
- Oil and Gas Operations and Land Contamination, 35th Annual Advanced Oil, Gas and Energy Resource Law Course, Houston, Texas (September 2017)
- Case Law Update, Houston Association of Professional Landmen, Houston, Texas (March 2017)
- Case Law Update, Austin Professional Landmen’s Association, Austin, Texas (March 2017)
In the News
- “Oil companies prepare to defend drilling rights — or rights not to — in court,” San Antonio Business Journal (May 2020)
- “How Will the Shale Litigation Boom Affect Your Operations?,” Hart Energy (April 2020)
- “Eagle Ford 2021: What happens to South Texas when oil well flow flattens?” San Antonio Business Journal (February 2019)
- Young Professionals in Energy – San Antonio, Board Member
- Landman and Lawyers Clays Shoot, Board Member
- State Bar of Texas
- Oil, Gas & Energy Resources Law Section
- Litigation Section
- San Antonio Bar Association
- Natural Resources Section
- San Antonio Young Lawyers Association
- American Association of Professional Landmen
- San Antonio Association of Professional Landmen