Ronald D. Kerridge
Ronald Kerridge is a seasoned and practical federal income tax lawyer. Ron divides his time between transactional tax matters and tax controversies.
On the transactional side, Ron’s practice emphasizes tax structuring of acquisitions and strategic partnerships. He has advised both publicly traded and privately held clients on taxable and tax-free acquisitions. Ron also assists clients with issues involving S corporations, limited liability companies, and partnerships. He has significant experience in real estate matters, including REITs and 1031 exchanges. Ron also advises concerning in-bound and out-bound international tax structuring, oil and gas tax issues, and the tax considerations present in settling commercial and employment litigation.
In his controversy practice, Ron represents clients before the IRS on a wide variety of federal income tax issues. These issues have included life insurance company reserves, abandonment losses, sales of transferable tax credits, reasonable compensation, “hobby” losses, passive activity losses, S corporation “built-in gains” tax, oil and gas carries, accumulated earnings tax, and imposition of tax penalties, including responsible-person and shelter-promoter penalties. He has also handled controversies involving “listed transactions,” including Notice 2001-16, intermediary transactions. Ron has acted as an arbitrator in a dispute between two publicly traded companies concerning a tax sharing agreement in connection with a spin-off.
Ron’s experience in handling tax controversies makes him a very practically-minded transactional tax lawyer.
A.B., summa cum laude, Princeton University
- Phi Beta Kappa
J.D., magna cum laude, Harvard Law School
United States Supreme Court
United States Court of Federal Claims
United States Tax Court
- Ron has represented numerous buyers and sellers of businesses in connection with the tax aspects of such transactions, including acquisitions and strategic joint ventures with aggregate value of more than $10 billion.
- Ron convinced the Appeals Division of IRS to concede entirely a proposed deficiency in excess of $50 million arising from a sale transaction, preserving the nest eggs of the two retired founders of a private company.
- Ron obtained complete concessions from the IRS in three matters involving asserted liability in excess of $10 million each.
- Ron represented a public mobile advertising solutions provider in its transformative acquisitions of three international mobile advertising companies valued in excess of $1 billion.
- Ron represented a registered investment advisory firm focused on utility and infrastructure-related investments in connection with its signing of a deal to invest $675 million in common stock of PG&E Corporation in a private placement of public equity (PIPE) transaction which, together with other investors, was part of a $3.25 billion investment expected to close upon PG&E emerging out of bankruptcy.
- Ron has advised a client on the tax aspects of a strategic joint venture that will create the largest wine and spirits distributor in the U.S.
- Ron represented a leading provider of B2B digital transformation services in the sale of its business to a Dallas-based private equity firm for an undisclosed amount.
- Ron represented the nation’s largest mobile contract grinding and recycling service in the acquisition of a Fort Worth-based provider of mobile contract grinding, delivery, and green waste recycling services.
- Ron has developed innovative approaches for sharing earn-outs in a sale transaction with ongoing members of company management.
- Ron represents clients in federal legislative and regulatory matters.
- Ron obtained complete concessions or favorable settlements from the IRS in numerous other matters.
- Ron obtains private letter rulings from the IRS.
- Ron helps with planning to restructure businesses to minimize Texas tax liability.
- Ron served as Chair of the Dallas Bar Tax Section in 2011.
- The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White Inc.), 2007-2023
- Litigation and Controversy – Tax, 2011-2023
- Tax Law, 2007-2023
- Texas Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2007-2022
- “Best Lawyers in Dallas” List, D Magazine, 2013-2023
- American Law Institute
- Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow
- State Bar of Texas – Tax Section
- Dallas Bar Association – Tax Section, Past Chair
April 25, 2023Attorney News
Jackson Walker Congratulates 24 Attorneys Named Among 2023 “Best Lawyers in Dallas” List
Jackson Walker congratulates the 24 attorneys recognized among D Magazine’s list of the “Best Lawyers in Dallas” for 2023. For recognition in the list, Dallas attorneys must be nominated by their peers on the basis that they offer unmatched counsel in one of 40 categories.
September 27, 2022Client Results
Jackson Walker Represents Novaria Group in Completing Six Acquisitions in Seven Months
Novaria Group, a leading manufacturer of specialty hardware, components, and coatings for the aerospace and defense industries, recently completed its acquisition of STROCO Manufacturing, Inc. This deal marks the sixth acquisition Novaria has announced from December of 2021 through July of 2022, taking place after its successful acquisitions of FMi Chemical, Hohman Plating, Advanced Coating, Hydro Fitting, and GK Mechanical Systems.
September 21, 2022Attorney News
Jackson Walker Congratulates Its 64 “Texas Super Lawyers” of 2022
Each year, less than 5% of attorneys in Texas are named to the list. Selection is based off of peer nominations that are then reviewed by a research team. Each nominee is evaluated on his or her professional accomplishments, peer recognition, and community involvement.
August 18, 2022Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 214 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2023 Edition, Including 11 “Lawyers of the Year” and 41 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 214 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 79 specialty practice areas in its 2023 edition, including 11 Lawyers of the Year and 41 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
April 25, 2022Attorney News
Jackson Walker Congratulates 21 Attorneys Named Among 2022 “Best Lawyers in Dallas” List
Jackson Walker congratulates the 21 attorneys recognized among D Magazine’s list of the “Best Lawyers in Dallas” for 2022. For recognition in the list, Dallas attorneys must be nominated by their peers on the basis that they offer unmatched counsel in one of 40 categories.
February 8, 2022Client Results
Jackson Walker Advises Innovative Risk Management in Acquisition by Boston Specialty Insurance Broker
Boston-based specialty insurance broker One80 Intermediaries has announced the acquisition of Jackson Walker client Innovative Risk Management (IRM) and its underwriting affiliate Programs Plus.
December 6, 2021Mentions
Ron Kerridge Quoted in ‘Dallas Business Journal’ on Tax Implications of Build Back Better Act
With the U.S. Senate set to consider H.R. 5376, Build Back Better Act, Ron Kerridge spoke with the Dallas Business Journal about changes to the bill and the potential impact on mergers and acquisitions (M&A) and private equity.
November 19, 2021Client Results
Jackson Walker Advises Freedom Powersports in Sale to RumbleON
A Jackson Walker team led by recent Fort Worth additions Evan Malloy, Kayla Matus, and Taylor Cummins represented Freedom Powersports in the sale of its business to Dallas-based RumbleON, Inc., the largest U.S. retailer of powersports vehicles. The transaction was announced on November 9, 2021, and is expected to close in late 2021 or the first quarter of 2022.
October 14, 2021Client Results
Jackson Walker Team Advises Digital Turbine on More Than $1B in Global Deals in 2021
Digital Turbine, a public leading independent mobile advertising solutions provider, has completed more than $1 billion in cross-border deals in 2021 through the acquisitions of Fyber, AdColony, and Triapodi (d/b/a Appreciate).
September 24, 2021Podcasts
How the Proposed $2.1 Trillion Tax Hikes Could Impact U.S. Businesses and Taxpayers
~13 minutes | The U.S. House Ways and Means Committee has approved a proposal to increase certain taxes by $2.1 trillion to offset the House Democrats’ $3.5 trillion government spending plan. With a long way to go and a number of possible changes to be made along the way, Ron Kerridge, Argyrios Saccopoulos, Nate Smithson, and Ashley Withers discuss some of the key aspects of the proposal.