Sean F. Gallagher
Sean Gallagher is a trial lawyer who represents plaintiffs and defendants in high-stakes disputes before judges and juries. Since 2020, Sean has been named to the Super Lawyers’ Texas Rising Stars list, which recognizes the state’s top young lawyers and is awarded to only 2.5 percent of eligible attorneys each year. Sean has also been named to the Best Lawyers in America’s list of “Ones to Watch” since 2022—a recognition awarded to attorneys for outstanding professional excellence in private practice less than 10 years into their practice.
As a member of the firm’s trial and appellate section, Sean has represented parties ranging from private citizens to Fortune 50 companies across a broad array of complex issues, including fraud, fraudulent transfers, First Amendment litigation, breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, director and officer liability, partnership disputes, Lanham Act claims, RICO claims, and whistleblower litigation.
Sean has also litigated multiple disputes on behalf of creditors, defendants, and trustees in bankruptcy and other courts, including both prosecuting and defending adversary proceedings to avoid preference payments and fraudulent transfers, forensic financial investigations, and Section 523 proceedings to determine whether debts are non-dischargeable due to actual fraud.
Before joining Jackson Walker, Sean practiced at nationally recognized litigation firms, honing his skills as a trial lawyer and obtaining a number of favorable outcomes for his clients, including multiple judgments on behalf of both plaintiffs and defendants.
B.A., with honors, University of Texas at Austin
J.D., University of Texas School of Law
U.S. District Court for the Northern, Eastern, Southern, and Western Districts of Texas
Sean has obtained a number of successful results on behalf of clients in multiple high-profile cases, including:*
- Successful defense of international media company in defamation suit alleging $300,000,000 in damages in Travis County District Court
- Obtained complete dismissal of Ex Parte Young suit filed against state retirement system with $45,000,000,000 in net plan assets in federal court in Austin
- Successful defense of Fortune 100 company in dispute related to its $600,000,000 data center before the Western District of Texas regarding the scope of federal protections under 7 U.S.C. § 1926(b), including affirmance of dismissal on appeal at Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Argued and obtained finding that creditor’s $4,102,597.75 debt was non-dischargeable due to actual fraud from the Nevada Bankruptcy Court
- Obtained plaintiff’s judgment for $1,000,000 in a fraudulent transfer and alter ego case before the Dallas County District Court (confidential settlement and forbearance agreement entered into post-judgment)
- Obtained plaintiff’s judgment, including an award of all attorneys’ fees incurred, for breach of contract on behalf of a private real estate investment firm
- Served on the trial team representing AT&T against false advertising claims brought by Sprint challenging AT&T’s nationwide 5G Evolution ad campaign and “5GE” phone indicator in the Southern District of New York
- Briefing certified questions on an issue of first impression to the Nevada Supreme Court as to whether the alter ego doctrine and doctrine of improper dominion and control applied to Nevada trusts. The Court rendered a unanimous opinion in favor of their clients. The underlying dispute was also profiled in Forbes.
- Obtained take-nothing judgment on behalf of a national real estate investment trust
*Includes matters handled prior to joining Jackson Walker
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch (Woodward/White Inc.), Commercial Litigation, 2022-2023
- Texas Rising Star, Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2020-2023
- Acknowledged in Winning at Cross-Examination: A Modern Approach for Depositions & Trial by Shane Read
- Austin Monitor, Strategic Advisory Council
- Austin Bar Association, Member
- Austin Young Lawyers Association, Member
- AYLA Leadership Academy, Class of 2022
- State Bar of Texas, Member
March 23, 2023Attorney News
Jackson Walker Congratulates Its 2023 Texas Rising Stars
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce the selection of 63 attorneys to Thomson Reuters’ 2023 “Super Lawyers – Rising Stars” list, which recognizes only 5% of Texas attorneys who either are 40 years of age or younger or have been in practice for 10 years or less.
January 17, 2023Attorney News
Sean Gallagher Joins Austin Monitor’s Strategic Advisory Council
Sean Gallagher has been invited to serve on the Strategic Advisory Council of Austin Monitor, a local not-for-profit, non-partisan news organization focused solely on issues important to Austin.
August 18, 2022Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 214 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2023 Edition, Including 11 “Lawyers of the Year” and 41 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 214 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 79 specialty practice areas in its 2023 edition, including 11 Lawyers of the Year and 41 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
March 22, 2022Attorney News
Jackson Walker Congratulates Its 2022 Texas Rising Stars
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce the selection of 51 attorneys to Thomson Reuters’ 2022 “Super Lawyers – Rising Stars” list, which recognizes only 2.5% of Texas attorneys who either are 40 years of age or younger or have been in practice for 10 years or less.
March 3, 2022Attorney News
Sean Gallagher Selected to Join Austin Bar/AYLA 2022 Leadership Academy
Sean Gallagher has been selected to join the Austin Bar/AYLA Leadership Academy. Through his participating in the program, Sean joins a group of Austin lawyers working to improve the Austin community, serving the Bar, and promoting professional development.
August 19, 2021Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 178 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2022 Edition, Including 8 “Lawyers of the Year” and 31 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 178 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 67 specialty practice areas in its 2022 edition, including 8 Lawyers of the Year and 31 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
March 23, 2021Attorney News
Jackson Walker Congratulates Its 2021 Texas Rising Stars
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce the selection of 36 attorneys to Thomson Reuters’ 2021 “Super Lawyers – Rising Stars” list. Spanning five offices and eight major practice areas, these up-and-coming attorneys have been nominated by peers within and outside the Firm.