Blockchain & Digital Assets
Jackson Walker’s blockchain practice brings together lawyers from a variety of specialties to service our client’s legal needs across the rapidly developing blockchain, digital assets, and smart contract landscape.
Drawing on our experience in corporate law, banking and finance, intellectual property, energy regulatory, media, privacy and cybersecurity, tax, investment funds, private equity, mergers and acquisitions, healthcare, and securities litigation, this multidisciplinary group is well-positioned to represent and advise clients in a broad range of transactions and disputes.
- Acquisition of the owner/operator of North America’s single largest Bitcoin mining and hosting facility, including its 100 acre, 190,000 square foot facility
- Acquisition, development, and financing of cryptocurrency projects, including assistance with electric regulatory matters
- Representation of an oilfield services company with negotiation of bitcoin mining joint venture
- Representation of a family office in connection with proposed investment in bitcoin mining joint venture
- Representation of both investors and operators in connection with cryptocurrency mining facilities, including both hosting and mining-as-a-service operations
- Representation of hosted mining provider in connection with venture financing and commercial agreements
- Representation of a group of investors in connection with a hosting agreement for a cryptocurrency mining facility
- Advising oil and gas production companies on optimizing leases and natural gas assets to power on-site generation related to digital currency mining
Crypto Investment & Fund Management
- Assisting individual investors, family offices, and venture funds in the evaluation of investments in cryptoassets and blockchain technology ventures
- Representation of institutional investors evaluating commitments to cryptoasset and blockchain technology funds
- Representation of digital asset fund sponsor in connection with formation of two multi-strategy funds
- Representation of fund managers in the formation and capital raising for venture funds and hedge funds investing in cryptoassets and blockchain technology
- Representation of an investment firm in the formation of a venture fund investing in digital assets, including cryptocurrencies and digital tokens
Corporate & Securities
- Representation of NFT platform in connection with corporate and securities matters
- Tax advice to individuals and business regarding cryptocurrency investments, trading, and lending
- Counseling clients with respect to securities law issues related to all aspects of cryptocurrency development and trading
- Representation of cryptoasset, blockchain, and metaverse technology ventures in obtaining trademark protection
- Prepared and prosecuted patent applications for blockchain-related technology
- Represented blockchain clients in trademark-related matters
- Obtained permanent injunction and final judgment on behalf of a dual-token cryptocurrency company after its former president stole trade secrets and attempted to form a competing company
- Real estate diligence in connection with the proposed acquisitions of several crypto development sites
- Represented clients in connection with federal inquiries into cryptocurrency trading practices
- Represented consortium of token holders in connection with dispute related to a decentralized exchange
- Successfully obtained permanent injunction and money judgment on behalf of dual token cryptocurrency company after former CEO left employment, misappropriated trade secrets and attempted to start a competing company
- Represented owner of NFT in dispute after a security vulnerability allowed a third party to purchase the NFT for much less than its market value
- Negotiated settlement for “Bitcoin ATM” company in lawsuit with former Chief IP Officer related to ownership of intellectual property developed during employment
- Representation of clients in litigation regarding mining-as-a-service contracts
December 14, 2022
Podcast: Future-Ready Business
Despite recent setbacks and scandals, cryptocurrency and other blockchain technologies are increasingly being utilized in the finance and corporate world. However, transitioning to legitimacy also means regulation, which raises new questions about how cryptocurrencies will be treated by government agencies such as the CFTC and the SEC.
~28 minutes | JW Future Ready Business Podcast
January 28, 2021
~7.5 minutes | As potential investors contemplate getting into the blockchain and cryptocurrency market, Michael Laussade discusses the practical and legal implications surrounding these issues, including the potential for fraud and white collar issues.
January 19, 2021
New Year, New Legal Focus: The Impact of Cryptocurrencies and Blockchain Law | The Mid-Market Report
As the chair of Jackson Walker’s Blockchain & Cryptoassets practice, Michael L. Laussade spoke with The Mid-Market Report about how he first got involved in blockchain and how this complex, technical area will impact transactions in the future.
July 30, 2019
Jonathan Neerman and Mike Laussade Present Regulatory Challenges for Broker-Dealers and Investment Advisers During Compliance Workshop
As compliance officers and in-house counsel for both broker-dealers and investment advisers attempt to navigate today’s tough regulatory challenges, Jackson Walker partnered with the ACA Compliance Group to host a complimentary workshop discussing topics relevant to both groups.
January 8, 2018
While the SEC has worked over the last several months to provide meaningful guidance around the offer and sale of digital tokens, state securities regulators have now begun to take action, with Texas leading the way.