Michael L. Laussade
Mike Laussade leads the firm’s Venture Capital and Emerging Companies practice, and routinely counsels early-stage companies in connection with capital raising, M&A transactions, and general business concerns. Mike also represents a number of venture funds and family offices in connection with early-stage investments.
Mike’s investment fund practice includes the representation of private funds in all aspects of fund formation, regulatory compliance, and capital raising, as well as in a wide range of M&A and venture capital transactions. Mike has significant experience helping fund sponsors navigate complex structure and compliance issues attendant to fund formation, as well as assisting funds in the negotiation of co- investments and joint venture relationships.
Mike also serves as a director and general counsel of Meat Fight, Inc., a non-profit organization that hosts outlandish food competitions to raise funds for multiple sclerosis research and athletes living with MS.
B.A., University of Texas at Austin
- Managing Editor, Texas Travesty
- Friar Society
J.D., with honors, University of Texas School of Law
- Editor in Chief, Texas Law Review
Corporate and Securities Matters
- Capital raising transactions of all sizes, ranging from SAFE and convertible note financing to priced equity rounds and underwritten public offerings.
- Formation of private investment funds, including hedge funds, private equity funds, venture funds, real estate funds, and oil and gas funds.
- Structure and compliance issues affecting private fund managers under the Investment Advisers Act and Investment Company Act.
- M&A transactions on behalf of both buyers and sellers across a number of industries, including financial services, technology, manufacturing, aviation and energy.
- Corporate governance matters, including stockholder and LLC agreements, partnership disputes, fiduciary duty issues, and books and records requests.
- Represented sponsor in formation of $150M mineral royalty fund.
- Represented Consensus NLP, Inc. in connection with $3 million Series Seed financing.
- Represented Forum Brands, Inc. in connection with $27 million Series A financing.
- Represented Abodu, Inc. in connection with $20 million Series A financing.
- Represented a public mobile advertising solutions provider in its transformative acquisitions of three international mobile advertising companies valued in excess of $1 billion.
- Represented Bridger Logistics in sale of saltwater disposal, crude oil truck transportation, and logistics businesses to Pilot Flying J.
- Represented IOG Capital in connection with regulatory compliance, fund formation, and co- investment negotiation, including $330 million oil and gas investment partnership with funds and accounts managed by Fortress Investment Group.
- Representation of Prophet Equity in connection with the formation, fundraising, and regulatory compliance for its $345 million second fund, Prophet Equity II LP.
- Represented Kalon Biotherapeutics LLC—a joint venture of the State of Texas, acting by and through the Office of the Governor, and The Texas A&M University—in its sale of control to FUJIFILM Diosynth Biotechnologies USA Inc.
- Represented Air Methods Corporation (NASDAQ:AIRM) in acquisition of San Antonio AirLIFE, a medical transport service owned by Baptist Health System of San Antonio/Tenet Corporation, and Bexar County Hospital District, doing business as University Health System.
- Represented PLx Pharma Inc. in negotiation of merger agreement with Dipexium Pharmaceuticals Inc. (NASDAQ:DPRX).
- The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White Inc.), Corporate Law, 2019-2023
- “Best Lawyers in Dallas” List, D Magazine, 2016, 2018, 2022-2023
- Texas Rising Star, Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2010, 2016-2019
- Community First Award, Parkland Foundation, 2018
- Co-Author, “SEC Adopts Sweeping New Private Fund Adviser Rules,” Jackson Walker Insights (September 2023)
- Author, “Texas Taking the Lead in State Cryptocurrency Enforcement,” Jackson Walker Insights (January 2018)
Meat Fight, Inc.
- Board of Directors
- General Counsel
September 14, 2023Client Results
Jackson Walker Advises Seller as Vital Energy Increases Permian Basin Scale Through Accretive Transactions
Jackson Walker served as legal counsel to Henry Energy LP and Henry Resources LLC (“Henry”) in the sale of Henry’s Midland and Delaware basin assets to Vital Energy, Inc. in an all-equity transaction.
September 1, 2023Insights
By Michael L. Laussade and Graham McCall
On August 23, 2023, the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (“SEC”), by a party-line vote of 3-2, adopted new rules applicable to investment advisers to private funds (“Private Fund Advisers”) that address transparency, conflicts of interest and governance mechanisms (“PFA Rules”).
April 25, 2023Attorney News
Jackson Walker congratulates the 24 attorneys recognized among D Magazine’s list of the “Best Lawyers in Dallas” for 2023. For recognition in the list, Dallas attorneys must be nominated by their peers on the basis that they offer unmatched counsel in one of 40 categories.
August 18, 2022Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 214 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2023 Edition, Including 11 “Lawyers of the Year” and 41 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 214 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 79 specialty practice areas in its 2023 edition, including 11 Lawyers of the Year and 41 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
April 25, 2022Attorney News
Jackson Walker congratulates the 21 attorneys recognized among D Magazine’s list of the “Best Lawyers in Dallas” for 2022. For recognition in the list, Dallas attorneys must be nominated by their peers on the basis that they offer unmatched counsel in one of 40 categories.
January 26, 2022Mentions
DFW Lawyers Fear Proposed SEC Regulations Could Trigger Noncompliance | Dallas Business Journal (Subscription Required)
On January 26, 2022, the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) proposed amendments for its Form PF that would increase reporting requirements for hedge funds and private equity funds. In an interview with Dallas Business Journal, Michael Laussade shared insights on how the proposed amendments could make an already-challenging document more difficult for private investment funds.
October 14, 2021Client Results
Digital Turbine, a public leading independent mobile advertising solutions provider, has completed more than $1 billion in cross-border deals in 2021 through the acquisitions of Fyber, AdColony, and Triapodi (d/b/a Appreciate).
August 19, 2021Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 178 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2022 Edition, Including 8 “Lawyers of the Year” and 31 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 178 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 67 specialty practice areas in its 2022 edition, including 8 Lawyers of the Year and 31 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
January 28, 2021Podcasts
~7.5 minutes | As potential investors contemplate getting into the blockchain and cryptocurrency market, Michael Laussade discusses the practical and legal implications surrounding these issues, including the potential for fraud and white collar issues.
January 19, 2021Mentions
New Year, New Legal Focus: The Impact of Cryptocurrencies and Blockchain Law | The Mid-Market Report
As the chair of Jackson Walker’s Blockchain & Cryptoassets practice, Michael L. Laussade spoke with The Mid-Market Report about how he first got involved in blockchain and how this complex, technical area will impact transactions in the future.