C. Wade Cooper
Wade Cooper is the Managing Partner of Jackson Walker. He chairs the Management Committee and the Compensation Committee of the firm, and has held this position since 2010.
Wade handles substantial commercial litigation, arbitration, and bankruptcy matters in Texas, and across the country. His clients include data center REIT’s, oil and gas companies, telecommunications carriers, national banks, and technology companies.
He began his practice with Jackson Walker in the Dallas office in 1981. In 1997, he moved to Austin to establish a new office for Jackson Walker.
In addition to his legal experience and law firm leadership responsibilities, Wade has had extensive civic involvement in the Austin area. He currently chairs the regional transportation authority and previously chaired the downtown property improvement district. He has been asked to participate on numerous boards and panels dedicated to regional planning and transportation issues in the rapidly developing Austin area. He also has had extensive involvement in the Boy Scouts– currently as a member of the board of directors of the Capitol Area Council, and previously as chair of the Bee Cave District.
B.S., summa cum laude, Economics, Southern Methodist University
B.A., summa cum laude, Political Science, Southern Methodist University
J.D., with honors, University of Texas School of Law
United States District Courts for the Northern, Southern, Eastern, and Western District of Texas
Texas State Courts
- Acted as local counsel for secured creditors with a $1.5B secured facility in the Chapter 11 proceedings of a real estate development company and its affiliates.
- Defended a life insurance company against claims brought by the bankruptcy trustee for an insolvent employee leasing company alleging deceptive insurance practices.
- Represented a national bank whose borrower/pledgor advanced several million dollars to a concert promoter who was running a “Ponzi scheme.”
- Represented telecommunications carrier adverse to various resellers in connection with claims of unpaid charges, billing disputes and service quality issues.
- Represented real estate loan participant in claims against the lead lender in connection with an office building development.
- Defended architects and engineers in connection with claims related to high school construction project.
- Represented oil field service company debtor in successful Chapter 11 reorganization.
- Represented drilling rig manufacturing company debtor in its Chapter 11 proceeding in which it was the proponent of the confirmed plan in a competing plan situation.
- Represented secured lenders in connection with numerous real estate projects involving work-outs and Chapter 11 proceedings.
- Represented secured lenders in numerous software/technology bankruptcy proceedings and work-outs.
- Represented manufacturer of printing presses and an affiliated finance company in Chapter 11 proceedings of several printing companies.
- Represented insurance company issuer of self-insured workers compensation bonds in bankruptcy of several national motor freight carriers.
- Represented aircraft lessor in bankruptcy proceeding of air charter company.
- Represented software licensor in bankruptcy of retailer.
- Represented Japanese animation company in the bankruptcy proceeding of its U.S. distributor.
- Defended telecommunications carrier in connection with several multi-million dollar preference claims.
- Represented a telecommunications carrier in a dispute related to an agreement to construct an 1800+ mile fiber-optic network facility.
- Represented a national bank which was a participant in a $120 million credit facility adverse to another national bank acting as collateral agent, in connection with the insolvency of one of the world’s largest cotton trading merchants.
- Lawdragon 500 Leading Global Restructuring & Insolvency Lawyers, 2020
- Greater Austin Business Awards Finalist in Executive Leadership, Austin Chamber of Commerce, 2018
- The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White Inc.), 2007-2022
- Lawyer of the Year – Austin, Litigation – Bankruptcy, 2019
- Lawyer of the Year – Austin, Bankruptcy and Creditor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law, 2020
- Bankruptcy and Creditor-Debtor Rights Law / Insolvency and Reorganization Law, 2007-2022
- Litigation – Bankruptcy, 2011-2022
- Texas Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2003-2004, 2008-2012, 2014, 2017-2018
- AV Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
- Capital Metropolitan Transportation Authority, Chairman of the Board
- Austin Symphony Orchestra, Board Member
- Capitol Area Council of the Boy Scouts of America, Board Member
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity
- Former Chairman, Board of the Downtown Austin Alliance Property Improvement District
- City of Austin Mobility Transformation Advisory Council
- Capital Area Metropolitan Planning Authority Transit Working Group
- American Bar Foundation
- Texas Bar Foundation
- Best Lawyers Advisory Board
- Leases and MSA’s
- Vender and Customer Disputes
- Bitcoin Mining Issues
- Network Construction
Oil & Gas
- Secured Lenders
- Telecommunications Carriers
- Insurance Companies
- Intellectual Property Licensors
- “New Year Game Plan: Firm Leaders Talk 2019 Strategy,” Texas Lawyer (Dec. 28, 2018)
- “Former University of Texas Law Associate Dean Joins Jackson Walker in Austin,” Texas Lawyer (Oct. 25, 2018)
- “Four Corporate Law Firms Bet on Texas… and Only on Texas,” The Texas Lawbook (May 4, 2018)
- “Texas Legacy Firms Search for Growth – or At Least Stability,” The Texas Lawbook (April 30, 2018)
- “Corporate Law Firms in Texas Made a Record $5.65B in 2017,” The Texas Lawbook (April 25, 2018)
- “Texas Firms See Opportunity In Shunning Merger Frenzy,” Law360 (April 24, 2018)
- “Jackson Walker Sees 10 Percent Drop in 2017 Net Income; Slight Increase in Gross Revenue,” Texas Lawyer (Feb. 15, 2018)
- “The NLJ 500 – One Size Doesn’t Fit All,” The American Lawyer (August 2017)
- “Volatility Abounds in Large Law Firm Growth,” The National Law Journal (June 26, 2017)
- “Texas Powerhouse: Jackson Walker,” Law360 (June 26, 2014)
- “Texas Firms Stand Their Ground Amid Merger Mania,” Law360 (June 24, 2013)
- “C. Wade Cooper, managing partner of Jackson Walker,” Texas Lawyer (April 30, 2012) [See “Gross Revenue at BigTex Firms Inches Up in ’11“]