Dan Smith is an intellectual property attorney focused on post-grant proceedings before the U.S. Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB), patent prosecution, and portfolio development and management. He offers extensive knowledge and experience in PTAB proceedings, both as a petitioner and patent owner, and has successfully represented leading technology companies in more than 130 PTAB trials. Dan’s PTAB experience has involved patents spanning diverse technical areas, including pulse oximetry, mobile device video capture, touchscreen devices and user interfaces, wireless communications, telemedicine, semiconductor fabrication, hybrid vehicle drivetrains, and heated flooring systems.
Dan was recognized by Managing IP in 2020 as a top lawyer representing petitioners at the PTAB, and by Patexia in 2022 as one of the top 25 PTAB practitioners in the country.
Prior to his legal career, Dan worked for over a decade as a lead software architect and engineer in the mobile/telecommunications industry, and is a named inventor on a U.S. patent related to measuring quality of service in a telecommunications network.
B.A., Computer Science, University of Texas at Austin
J.D., cum laude, SMU Dedman School of Law
- SMU Law Review, Technology Editor
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- “Top PTAB Practitioner” by Managing IP (2020)
- “Top 25 PTAB Practitioner” by Patexia (2022)
- Granted U.S. Patent 6,914,967, Method for measuring quality of service in a telecommunications network (2005)
- Co-Author, “What is the PTAB and Who are the Judges?” IP Law Essentials (2020)
- Co-Author, “Oral Hearings at the PTAB: What to Expect,” IP Law Essentials (2020)
- Co-Author, “What Discovery is Available during Inter Partes Review?” IP Law Essentials (2020)
- Co-Author, “When Should I File an IPR during Litigation?” IP Law Essentials (2020)
- Co-Author, “Challenging Patents through Post-Grant Proceedings: What Are Your Options?” IP Law Essentials (2020)
- Speaker, “The Two Sides of the Coin in Post-Grant Practice: Petitioner and Patent Owner Estoppel,” Webinar (2018)
- Co-Author, 2016 Post-Grant Annual Report (2017)
- Speaker, “Post-Grant for Practitioners | Post-Grant Review (PGR) Proceedings are Gaining Momentum,” Webinar (2017)
- Author, “PTAB Issues Only Its Third Post-Grant Review Decision to Date, Invalidates Storage Container Tracking Claims Directed to Ineligible Subject Matter” (2016)
November 30, 2023Attorney News
Patexia has listed Dallas partner Dan Smith’s move to the firm as one of the top three lateral moves of 2023 of attorneys who focus on Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) proceedings. The rankings were released as part of Patexia’s PTAB Intelligence Report covering trends, patterns, and shifts within the PTAB domain.
July 6, 2023Attorney News
Dan Smith joins Jackson Walker’s Dallas office as a partner in the Intellectual Property practice. He focuses on post-grant proceedings before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB), such as inter partes reviews, and has successfully represented clients in more than 130 PTAB trials to date.