James D. Struble
Jim Struble’s primary area of practice is aviation, in which he has experience in trying both jury and non-jury matters as lead counsel for major airlines. He represents corporate and fractional ownership aircraft owners and operators in all aspects of aviation transactional matters including purchase, management, charter, and lease agreements. He also handles regulatory and enforcement matters, including dangerous goods/hazardous materials and drug and alcohol testing matters, for both air carriers and pilots and has successfully tried cases before NTSB Administrative Law Judges.
He also served over 24 years as a pilot for a major U. S. carrier, where he retired as a captain after logging more than 15,000 hours in the B-737, MD-88, MD-90, B-727 and L-1011. A retired Air Force instructor pilot and flight examiner, he has more than 4,000 hours of military flight time in the C-141 and KC-10 and is a veteran of Operation Desert Storm.
B.S., United States Air Force Academy
J.D., SMU Dedman School of Law
United States Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
United States District Court for the Northern, Eastern and Western Districts of Texas
Jim has represented buyers and sellers of business jets and turboprops closing over 10 0 transactions on aircraft valued from $500,000 to $30 million. Areas where Jim counsels and advises clients include:
- Aviation Accident Defense
- FAA Enforcement Defense
- Aircraft Property Taxes
- Charter Operator Representation
- Aircraft transactions including the purchase, sale, or lease of an aircraft
- Fractional Ownership and Shared Ownership alternatives
Some of Jim’s notable recent accomplishments include:
- Import of Global 5000 from Isle of Man
- Assisted client with purchase of three Citation Xs, including one import from Brazil and placement of the aircraft on a charter certificate
- In 2018 alone, facilitated the closing of 24 separate aircraft transactions
- Advised dozens of clients with regards to aircraft personal property taxes
- The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White Inc.), Aviation Law, 2021-2023
- Super Lawyer – Aviation, Super Lawyers (Thomson Reuters), 2012-2013
- “Strategies for Sharing a Business Aircraft,” State Bar of Texas Aviation Law Section, San Antonio, Texas (November 10, 2017)
- “Aircraft Transaction Basics: A Business Development Opportunity,” presented at Journal of Air Law and Commerce 48th Annual Symposium (April 4, 2014)
- “Aircraft Sales and Lease Basics,” presented at Aviation Law Section Annual Meeting, State Bar of Texas (June 25, 2004)
- “Fractional Ownership – A Practitioner’s Guide,” presented at Journal of Air Law and Commerce 36th Annual Symposium (March 1, 2002)
- “FAA Aeromedical Certificate Issues,” presented at Embry – Riddle Aeronautical University Aviation Law/Insurance Symposium (January 15, 2002)
- “Alcohol and Your Certificate – What Every Pilot and Operator Should Know,” presented to Flexjet Pilot Group (June 29, 2000)
- “Status of Pending Air Carrier Litigation,” presented at Journal of Air Law and Commerce 29th Annual Symposium (February 24, 1995)
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel
- Dallas Bar Association
- NTSB Bar Association
- Lawyer-Pilot Bar Association
- National Business Aircraft Association
August 18, 2022Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 214 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2023 Edition, Including 11 “Lawyers of the Year” and 41 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 214 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 79 specialty practice areas in its 2023 edition, including 11 Lawyers of the Year and 41 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
August 19, 2021Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 178 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2022 Edition, Including 8 “Lawyers of the Year” and 31 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 178 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 67 specialty practice areas in its 2022 edition, including 8 Lawyers of the Year and 31 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
August 20, 2020Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 164 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2021 Edition, Including 9 “Lawyers of the Year” and 25 “Ones to Watch”
Jackson Walker congratulates the 164 attorneys who were selected by their peers as Best Lawyers, including 9 Lawyers of the Year and 25 Ones to Watch, across 6 offices and 66 specialty practice areas.
August 7, 2019Client Results
Joint Aviation and Appellate Team Secures Favorable Result on Behalf of Flight Training International
In collaboration with Flight Training International, Jackson Walker successfully contested an FAA order issued in April 2019 revoking approval for an Airline Transport Pilot (ATP) certification course.
December 20, 2018Insights
The holiday season is in full swing which means Christmas cookies, New Year’s resolutions, and property taxes… Wait. What?
January 12, 2018Insights
James Struble and John Ransom presented “Strategies for Sharing a Business Aircraft” to the State Bar of Texas Aviation Law Section in San Antonio, Texas, on November 10, 2017.
February 21, 2017Spotlight
October 7, 2015Client Results
Jackson Walker successfully represented Air Methods Corporation in its acquisition of San Antonio AirLIFE, a medical transport service owned by Baptist Health System of San Antonio/Tenet Corporation, and Bexar County Hospital District, doing business as University Health System.
March 30, 2015Attorney News
Jackson Walker partners Jim Struble and John Ransom will speak on strategies for sharing a business aircraft during the National Business Aviation Association’s Business Aviation Taxes Seminar on May 8, 2015, in Dallas.
April 9, 2014Attorney News
Jackson Walker partner Jim Struble spoke at the 48th Annual SMU Air Law Symposium on April 4, 2014, in Dallas, Texas.