Javier Gonzalez is an attorney in the litigation section of Jackson Walker’s Houston office. He served as a summer associate with the Firm in 2019 and 2020.
Javier earned his J.D., summa cum laude, from South Texas College of Law Houston, where he served as Vice President of the Student Bar Association and an officer on the Board of Advocates. Javier currently serves as a coach to the Nation’s #1 ranked Moot Court Program, as well as mock trial and arbitration teams, at South Texas College of Law Houston.
Javier was extensively involved in South Texas College of Law Houston’s advocacy program and won the school’s 134th National Moot Court Championship, an award for Best Overall Advocate in the State of Texas, as well as multiple regional and state wide championships and awards in Moot Court and Arbitration. As a result of his moot court success, Javier was chosen as a recipient of the “State Bar of Texas: Award for Excellence in Appellate Advocacy,” which is awarded annually to one graduating student from each Texas law school for demonstrated excellence in written and oral advocacy. Javier was inducted to the Order of the Barristers and the Order of the Lytae, and received the Dean’s Outstanding Advocate Award.
Javier focuses on a wide variety of litigation matters. Javier has developed particular areas of focus in bankruptcy litigation, landlord-tenant disputes, personal injury, and bill of review practice, in addition to general commercial and contract litigation and appellate practice.
B.B.A., magna cum laude, Accounting and Finance, University of St. Thomas
M.B.A., magna cum laude, Finance, University of St. Thomas
J.D., summa cum laude, South Texas College of Law Houston
- Varsity Moot Court, Mock Trial, and ADR Member
- Order of the Lytae
- Order of the Barristers
- Student Bar Association: 1L Representative, Mid-Law Senator, and Vice-President
- Phi Delta Phi
United States District Court for the Eastern, Northern, Southern, and Western Districts of Texas
United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Texas
- Tried to verdict landlord-tenant dispute involving breach of lease, which was appealed and affirmed by the Texas Court of Appeals for the First District.
- Prompted favorable settlement on behalf of commercial client in bill of review and default judgment proceedings after plaintiff violated client’s due process.
- First-chaired several eviction proceedings, from justice of the peace hearings to appeals before county courts.
- Represents United Airlines, Inc. in a variety of personal injury claims arising from control of international airport, in-flight incidents, and related airport activities.
- Represents debtor LaForta – Gestão e Investimentos, Sociedade Unipessoal, Lda, a private limited liability company that owns La Muralla IV, a sixth-generation, ultra-deepwater semi-submersible drilling rig. Through its chapter 11 case, LaForta intends to address operational issues and sell or equitize La Muralla to satisfy LaForta’s guaranty of nearly $950 million of secured bonds.
- Represents 4e Brands Northamerica LLC, in its chapter 11 case to address products liability claims and an FDA recall arising from distribution of faulty hand sanitizer and related products and to wind up the business.
- Represents J.C. Penney in its chapter 11 case and specifically serves as the negotiator for liquidating hundreds of personal injury claims.
- Represents Gulfport Energy Corporation and its wholly-owned subsidiaries in their prearranged Chapter 11 restructuring and specifically handles litigation of contested matters and adversary proceedings.
- Represents Washington Prime Group in its chapter 11 case and tax litigation matters, re-assessing major mall properties nationwide for tax refunds due to over-valued assessments.
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity Scholar
- CALI Excellence for Future Award: Torts II, Texas Pretrial Procedure, Negotiations
- State Bar of Texas Award for Excellence in Appellate Advocacy, 2021
- William and Mary National Moot Court Tournament, 2021 National Champions and 2020 Semi-Finalist
- University of Texas Judge John R. Brown Moot Court Tournament, 2021 Semi Finalist
- ABA Arbitration Competition, 2020 Regional Champions and National Semi-Finalist
- National All Star Online Moot Court Competition, 2020 Semi-Finalist and Best Advocate Award
- Texas Young Lawyers Association State Moot Court Competition, 2020 Best Advocate Award
- Appellate Lawyers Association Moot Court Tournament Chicago, 2019 Semi-Finalist
January 27, 2023Client Results
Debtor Team Represents Nautical Solutions in Chapter 11 Restructuring
Jackson Walker is partnering with lead counsel Kirkland & Ellis to represent Nautical Solutions, L.L.C. and its debtor affiliate in their Chapter 11 reorganization. On January 8, 2023, Nautical Solutions and its Texas affiliate filed prepackaged Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases in the Southern District of Texas – Houston Division, with estimated assets totaling $500 million to $1 billion.
November 17, 2022Newsletters
JW Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter – November 2022
View Jackson Walker’s November 2022 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
October 12, 2022Podcasts
Celebrating National Hispanic Heritage Month
JW Fast Takes Podcast | ~8 minutes
At Jackson Walker, we are extremely proud of our Hispanic attorneys and allied professionals. As we celebrate National Hispanic Heritage Month through October 15, Marisela Peña Gonzalez and Javier Gonzalez joined the Fast Takes podcast to share their stories.
April 21, 2022Newsletters
JW Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter – April 2022
View Jackson Walker’s April 2022 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
October 4, 2021Attorney News
Jackson Walker Welcomes 2021 New Fall Associates
This year, Jackson Walker proudly welcomes 16 law school graduates to expand our Corporate & Securities, Finance & Banking, Intellectual Property, Labor & Employment, Real Estate, Trial & Appellate Litigation, and Wealth Planning practices.