Jay K. Wieser
Jay Wieser represents corporate and individual clients in a variety of business litigation in state and federal courts involving contracts, real estate, oil and gas, employment, antitrust, and other matters. Jay’s practice frequently involves representing companies and their owners in lawsuits involving partnership disputes, fiduciary duties, and fraud. Jay also has significant experience in the oil and gas industry, having represented E&P companies, oil field services companies, gathering companies, gas marketers, and land owners.
As an advocate and counselor, Jay routinely helps his clients win or, better yet, avoid litigation. He takes an overall view of the client’s business goals, needs, and circumstances to best develop a litigation strategy. He also understands that litigation is not an end itself, but rather a means of accomplishing a business goal. Jay is ever-mindful of efficiently achieving his clients’ goals in the most cost-effective manner possible.
B.B.A., Baylor University
J.D., cum laude, SMU Dedman School of Law
- Articles Editor, International Law Review Association
- Member of the Barristers
- United States District Court for the Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western Districts of Texas
- United States District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
- United States District Court for the District of Kansas
- United States Court of Appeals for the 5th, 9th, and 10th Circuits
- Defending electric power generator against multiple state and federal MDL class action antitrust claims alleging the client engaged in a conspiracy to manipulate natural gas and electricity markets through alleged “wash sales” and false trade reporting and seeking in excess of $500 million.
- Defended Fort Worth company and its Scottish parent against multi-million-dollar claims of breach of contract and tortious interference. Successfully struck plaintiff’s damages expert resulting in a “pennies-on-the-dollar” settlement.
- Defended one of the country’s largest natural gas gathering and midstream companies in royalty cases in several states, including Texas and Oklahoma, with allegations including fraud, conspiracy, RICO violations, and antitrust violations.
- Defended oil and gas company owner against claims by alleged co-owner seeking in excess of $50 million and complaining of fraud and breach of fiduciary duty. After a four week jury trial, secured take nothing verdict and attorneys’ fee award of approximately $1 million.
- Defended closely-held private company, owner’s estate, and related entities against claims by co-investors alleging de facto partnership, breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, and fraud. Reached favorable settlement after vigorously defending claims. Plaintiffs proceeded to trial against co-defendants and obtained a jury verdict in excess of $75 million.
- “Top Attorneys” List, Civil Law and Litigation, 360 West, 2018
- “Top Attorneys” List, Civil Law Litigation, Fort Worth Magazine, 2012-2017
- Rising Star, Super Lawyers – Rising Stars by Thomson Reuters, 2010, 2017-2019
- NewDay Services for Children and Families, Board of Directors
- Veritex Community Bank, Associate Board
- O’Connor’s, Texas Oil & Gas – Statutes & Regulations, Editor, 2014-2016