Real Estate Financing
We sit at the crossroads of what is happening in the world of real estate finance. Large and small. Local and national. Lender and borrower. Growth cycles and market downturns. We have worked them all and stand ready to bring that skill and experience to our clients. Everyone comes to the table wanting to close the deal–the trick is finding common ground between banks and borrowers, and that’s where we shine.
Our real estate financing attorneys are involved in real estate secured transactions of all sizes and types. In the last three years, we have represented lenders in transactions totaling over $2.5 billion. Volume like that gives us insight into market trends as they are happening.
We regularly represent banks, financial institutions, life insurance companies, and private money lenders in real estate financing transactions of all shapes and sizes. Our clients leverage us to assist in negotiating loan transactions and in developing financial and legal structures to close the deal. Because we work extensively with lenders, we offer greater insight to borrowers looking to develop effective financing strategies.
Sometimes loan transactions do not turn out as hoped. Our attorneys are able to handle a troubled loan as well, whether it requires re-negotiation, workout, foreclosure, or collection.
We represent the full spectrum of lenders, from large, multinational financial institutions to regional banks, credit unions, hedge funds and insurance companies in all of their real property lending needs, including construction financing, projects, and permanent mortgage financing. We are particularly skilled in bringing value and efficiency to very large real-estate transactions.
Jackson Walker’s attorneys have the unique insight gained from having weathered two significant downturns in the commercial real estate market. During the most recent financial crisis, we provided extensive assistance with debt restructuring, workouts and foreclosures for an array of clients, from borrowers to lenders to the special services of Commercial Mortgage Backed Securities (CMBS). We also have represented developers on some of the first new loans to be securitized into the CMBS marketplace since the financial meltdown. As market conditions evolve, we continue to put our experience to work helping clients face the challenges and opportunities of the commercial real estate market.
Our clients also benefit from Jackson Walker’s multidisciplinary approach, which allows us to efficiently address the myriad issues that may arise during a real estate transaction. For example, working with our Land Use and Environmental practice groups, we have helped clients successfully navigate zoning and environmental challenges in relation to specific properties. Likewise, our Corporate and Tax attorneys regularly help clients determine the most advantageous structure for a particular financing transaction; and our Energy group has a long history of experience in financing both traditional and renewable energy projects.
We take a team approach on many financing transactions, combining the experience of real estate and financing specialists to produce efficient and timely outcomes.
- Prior to the current financial crises, the firm, each year, represented financial institutions in documenting over fifty loan transactions aggregating over $1 billion. These loan transactions involved typical property types such as office (including condominium projects with office, retail and residential components), retail (including lifestyle centers), multi-family (including condominium projects), industrial and leisure. Such loan transactions also included specialty properties such as healthcare properties (medical offices as well as senior and assisted living), automobile dealerships, student housing, military housing and golf course projects.
- In the context of such representation, the firm’s real estate attorneys negotiated franchise comfort letters with various hotel franchises including Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson, Best Western, Ramada Inns and Hampton Inns. In addition, the real estate attorneys negotiated SNDAs with most major retail companies. The properties securing these transactions were located throughout the United States.
- Since the financial crisis, financial institutions have tapped the firm’s extensive experience in real estate loan work-outs, restructurings and foreclosures. As one of the primary firms handling the pools of distressed assets created by some of the largest bank failures in Texas during the early 1990s, the firm developed a team approach consisting of real estate, bankruptcy and litigation attorneys to handle this work. This same team approach has proven instrumental in handling work resulting from the current crisis.
March 8, 2023
Jackson Walker Welcomes Karl Baker to Real Estate Practice in San Antonio
Joining from a San Antonio-based real estate law firm, Karl Baker has a broad and diverse practice covering acquisitions, leasing, and financing across all product types and assisting developers seeking entitlements, incentives, and development agreements from cities, counties, and other governmental entities across Texas.
March 22, 2022
Courtney Bristow Expands Jackson Walker’s Real Estate Financing Practice in Dallas
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce the addition of Courtney D. Bristow as a partner in the Dallas office’s Finance & Banking practice. Courtney’s practice is focused on representing institutional lenders with commercial real estate loans intended for securitization or sale in the secondary market.
November 3, 2021
Jackson Walker Expands Real Estate Financing Practice With Addition of Andrew Ingrum and Michelle Vincent Parker
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce the expansion of the Finance & Banking practice with the additions of Andrew A. Ingrum and Michelle Vincent Parker as partners in the Dallas office.
January 22, 2021
Jackson Walker Expands Commercial Leasing Experience With Addition of Fort Worth Partner Travis McNellie
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce the addition of Travis W. McNellie as a partner in the Fort Worth office. Joining our Real Estate practice, Travis boosts the Firm’s experience handling commercial leases, particularly involving office and industrial properties, across Texas and the United States.
March 6, 2020
Sierra Quinonez Expands Jackson Walker’s Commercial Finance Practice in Fort Worth
With over a decade of experience, Sierra Quinonez has handled complex lending transactions across a broad range of industries, including healthcare, oil and gas, real estate, financial services, media and telecommunications, manufacturing, sports, agriculture, retail, and technology.
December 9, 2019
Jackson Walker Expands Finance and Electric Utility Practices With Addition of Lindsey Berwick and Kirk Rasmussen
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce the addition of Lindsey Berwick and Kirk Rasmussen as partners in the San Antonio and Austin offices, respectively.
September 25, 2019
‘Commercial Property Executive’ Lists Jackson Walker Among “2019 Leading Real Estate Law Firms”
In its 2019 “Leading Real Estate Law Firms” list, Commercial Property Executive ranked Jackson Walker among the top 20 real estate law practices in the nation.
June 21, 2018
Lewis Kasner to Serve as President of Texas Exes Houston Chapter
Jackson Walker partner Lewis Kasner was recently selected to serve as president of the Texas Exes Houston Chapter for a one-year term beginning July 1, 2018.
- Acquisition financing
- Development loans
- Construction financing
- Mezzanine & bridge financing
- Permanent loans
- Line of credit financing
- Convertible debt transactions
- Participating debt transactions
- Loan syndications & securitization
- Private placement financing
- Agency debt
- Conduit lending
- Loan workouts
- Project financings
- Sale leasebacks
- Bond financings
We have extensive experience with both single-lender, participated and syndicated loans, including considerable experience representing the administrative agent on syndicated loans. We have also handled credit facilities for both single-asset and portfolio transactions across the country. Our comprehensive services include negotiation, structuring and documentation of financing for many different types of asset classes, including:
- Multifamily residential
- Mixed-use developments
- Commercial buildings
- Industrial properties
- Hotel and resort properties
- Regional and strip shopping centers
- Single-Family housing subdivisions
- Low income housing tax credit (LIHTC) projects
- Student and military housing
- Car dealerships
- Golf courses