John Stevenson III
John Stevenson is an attorney in the Real Estate section of Jackson Walker’s Austin office. John routinely represents buyers, sellers, developers, builders, and institutional investors in a variety of commercial and residential real estate transactions, both locally and nationally, with an emphasis on the acquisition and development of multi-family and mixed use projects, residential subdivisions, and undeveloped land.
John’s experience also includes representing landlords and tenants in office and retail lease negotiations, representing borrowers in lending transactions, and representing clients in all types of business matters, including entity selection and formation, contract drafting, and asset acquisitions.
B.A., cum laude, Texas A&M University
M.B.A., Texas Tech University Rawls College of Business
- Graduate Certificate in Leadership
J.D., cum laude, Texas Tech University School of Law
- Phi Delta Phi
- Dean’s List
- Represented residential developer of single family build-to-rent communities in multiple land acquisitions and dispositions throughout Texas and advised on all aspects of property development, including zoning, approvals, and the construction of shared facilities and improvements.
- Represented various clients in multifamily acquisitions and dispositions, both locally and nationally, including the representation of an international company in a $1,400,000.00, 434 unit apartment project disposition and $40,000,000.00 condominium acquisition.
- Represented regional and national homebuilders in finished lot, paper lot and raw land acquisitions, dispositions, development and land-banking matters. Reviewed title and survey in connection with scheduled lot takedowns.
- Represented Dallas based family office and commercial developer in multiple land acquisitions, including a $30,000,000 purchase of 250 acres of raw land in Dallas – Fort Worth area, as part of a joint venture project for a major mixed-use project.
- Represented Dallas based residential developer in connection with the development of a 3,000 acre master planned community near San Antonio and represented client in multiple land dispositions to various homebuilders.
- Represented Dallas area multi-family developer in loan refinance transactions for 9 separate apartment complexes in amounts ranging from $2,000,000 to $5,000,000.
- Represented buyers and sellers in stock and asset purchase transactions across all types of industries. Prepared asset purchase agreements, advised regarding schedules and due diligence, formed various acquisition entities, and prepared employment agreements, management agreements, loan documents (including, notes, deeds of trust, and commercial guaranties), and coordinated acquisition closings.
- Author, “Foreclosure in Texas and the Extinguishment of Mechanic’s and Materialmen’s Liens” (February 2020)
- Author, “Federal Income Tax Allocation Clauses In Personal Injury Settlement Agreements” (April 2019)
- Real Estate Council of Austin, Member
- State Bar of Texas – Real Estate, Probate and Trust Law Section, Member, 2013-Present
December 19, 2022Client Results
Jackson Walker Represents D.R. Horton in Acquisition of Riggins Custom Homes
Jackson Walker represented D.R. Horton, Inc. as the company’s lead real estate counsel in the acquisition of Riggins Custom Homes, one of the largest builders in Northwest Arkansas, for a cash purchase of approximately $107 million.
October 29, 2021Attorney News
John Stevenson III Joins Jackson Walker’s Real Estate Practice in Austin
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce the addition of John Stevenson III as a senior counsel in the Austin office. Joining our Chambers-ranked Real Estate group, John will focus on real estate transactions primarily related to multi-family and mixed-use projects, office buildings, and raw land.