Jorge A. Padilla
Jorge is a partner in Jackson Walker’s trial section. He has extensive experience litigating business disputes for a variety of clients including trustees, executors, tech companies, property managers, real estate investors and developers, healthcare providers, pension funds, and media companies. Although his practice is focused in Austin, Texas, Jorge has advocated for his clients in state and federal courts throughout Texas.
Jorge also has extensive experience in the areas of probate and fiduciary litigation involving will contests, trustees, executors, and other trustees. He has also represented individuals and business entities in partnership disputes and matters involving fiduciary litigation.
Jorge takes pride in the fact that clients trust him with their legal issues. He works efficiently to address their problems and identify practical legal strategies to help them reach their goals. Sometimes disputes can be resolved out of court, which can be faster and cost-effective. Other times, however, a lawsuit is necessary to address a client’s dispute. Jorge has the trial court experience to take his client’s case all the way through trial, navigating the various obstacles encountered along the way.
B.J., University of Texas at Austin
J.D., University of Texas School of Law
United States District Courts for the Southern and Western Districts of Texas
Areas of Focus
- Fiduciary Litigation
- Probate Litigation
- Trust Litigation
- Business Disputes
- Media Litigation
- Obtained dismissal of claims with prejudice for healthcare provider and successfully defended ruling before Court of Appeals and Supreme Court of Texas: Morrison v. Whispering Pines Lodge I, L.L.P., 428 S.W.3d 327, 329 (Tex. App.—Texarkana 2014, pet. denied).
- Successfully appealed and overturned trial court’s denial of motion to compel arbitration: Specialty Select Care Ctr. of San Antonio, LLC v. Flores, No. 04-13-00888-CV, 2015 Tex. App. LEXIS 9345, 2015 WL 5157034 (Tex. App.—San Antonio Sept. 2, 2015, no pet. h.).
- Successfully overturned trial court’s denial of motion to compel arbitration: Villas of Mount Pleasant, LLC v. King, 454 S.W.3d 689 (Tex. App.—Texarkana 2014, no pet.).
- Defended Trustee in lawsuit filed by beneficiaries of Trust and negotiated settlement that allowed Trustee to maintain possession of nearly 7,000-acre ranch in dispute.
- Represented minority shareholder in breach of fiduciary claim against majority owners and obtained favorable settlement for client.
- Brought fiduciary duty and derivative lawsuit on behalf of co-owner of physician’s practice and negotiated settlement that included division and distribution of assets of practice.
- Tried lawsuit to jury verdict in federal court case involving breach of fiduciary duty and misappropriation of property claims arising from partnership dispute.
- The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White Inc.), Commercial Litigation, 2021-2023
- Texas Rising Star, Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2020-2022
- “Austin’s Top Attorneys” List – Civil Law Litigation, Austin Monthly, 2020-2021
- AVANCE Austin, Board Member, Treasurer
- Northwest Softball League, Board Member, Coach
- Texas Bar Foundation
- St. Thomas More Society of Austin
- Diocese of Austin Red Mass Committee, Chair, 2018
- St. Louis King of France, Capital Campaign and Building Committee Member
- Leadership Austin Essential Class, 2018
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity, Fellows Program, 2018
- Austin Young Lawyers Association
- President-Elect, 2017-2018
- Treasurer, 2016-2017
- Secretary, 2015-2016
- Silicon Labs Sunshine Run, Co-Race Director, 2016-2017
- Austin Sunshine Camps, Secretary, 2015
- ABA/AYLA Leadership Academy, 2012
- Texas Young Lawyers Association
- University of Texas School of Law 1L Mentor, 2016-2018
- Austin Bar Association
- Board Executive Committee Member, 2017-2019
- Mentor Program Chair, 2017
August 18, 2022Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 214 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2023 Edition, Including 11 “Lawyers of the Year” and 41 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 214 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 79 specialty practice areas in its 2023 edition, including 11 Lawyers of the Year and 41 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
April 21, 2022Newsletters
View Jackson Walker’s April 2022 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
March 22, 2022Attorney News
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce the selection of 51 attorneys to Thomson Reuters’ 2022 “Super Lawyers – Rising Stars” list, which recognizes only 2.5% of Texas attorneys who either are 40 years of age or younger or have been in practice for 10 years or less.
October 5, 2021Newsletters
View Jackson Walker’s October 2021 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
August 19, 2021Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 178 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2022 Edition, Including 8 “Lawyers of the Year” and 31 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 178 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 67 specialty practice areas in its 2022 edition, including 8 Lawyers of the Year and 31 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
August 3, 2021Attorney News
Jackson Walker congratulates the 20 attorneys recognized among “Austin’s Top Attorneys” for 2021. For recognition in the list, Austin attorneys must be nominated by their peers on the basis that they offer experienced counsel in one of 43 categories.
March 23, 2021Attorney News
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce the selection of 36 attorneys to Thomson Reuters’ 2021 “Super Lawyers – Rising Stars” list. Spanning five offices and eight major practice areas, these up-and-coming attorneys have been nominated by peers within and outside the Firm.
February 11, 2021Newsletters
View Jackson Walker’s February 2021 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
October 14, 2020Client Results
Second Circuit Affirms Dismissal of Jackson Walker Client and Other Noteholders, Denying Bankruptcy Trustee’s Claim to Recover Over $1 Billion in Distributed Funds
The Second Circuit affirmed both the bankruptcy and district courts’ judgments interpreting section 560 in favor of the defendant noteholders. With the dismissal, LBSF failed to claw back roughly $1 billion in payments made to the noteholders in connection with the CDOs, as those payments were protected by the safe harbor.
August 20, 2020Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 164 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2021 Edition, Including 9 “Lawyers of the Year” and 25 “Ones to Watch”
Jackson Walker congratulates the 164 attorneys who were selected by their peers as Best Lawyers, including 9 Lawyers of the Year and 25 Ones to Watch, across 6 offices and 66 specialty practice areas.