Robert M. Cohan
One of Dallas’ most respected commercial litigators, Bob Cohan helped resolve complex disputes for local and national companies for more than 40 years. While he handled litigation matters ranging from contract disputes to banking and lender liability, securities fraud, franchising, copyright and trademark infringement, and director and officer liability, including class actions, Bob placed particular emphasis on antitrust litigation and appellate advocacy.
Initially trained as an antitrust litigator at the Wald, Harkrader & Ross firm in Washington, D.C., Bob had the rare opportunity early in his career to be part of the trial team defending a merger before the Federal Trade Commission and on appeal to the Ninth Circuit. His antitrust clients included Barnes & Noble, Cargill Incorporated, Allstate Insurance Company, The Salvation Army, and Burger King Corporation. Bob prosecuted and defended antitrust claims in state and federal court, in arbitrations, and before the Department of Justice, the Federal Trade Commission, and the Texas Attorney General’s Office.
Jackson Walker features profiles of its Retired Partners in recognition of their long and accomplished service to the firm, our clients, and our communities. Our Retired Partners are no longer practicing law. If you are interested in consulting with a Jackson Walker lawyer in the practice area where Bob worked, please email us here. We will connect you with someone who can be most helpful for your inquiry, or pass along a personal message to our Retired Partner.
B.A., with honors, Brown University
J.D., with honors, University of Texas School of Law
District of Columbia, 1974
United States Supreme Court
United States Court of Appeals for the Third, Fifth, Ninth and Eleventh Circuits
United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
United States District Court for the Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western Districts of Texas
- Successfully represented a national airline on an appeal before the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit that resulted in the court holding that the Air Carrier Access Act of 1986 does not confer a private right of action for disability discrimination against an air carrier, overruling its own 30-year precedent.
- Won affirmance of order of dismissal for failure to state a claim, and denial of Petition for Writ of Certiorari, in a case alleging violation of home equity lending provisions of the Texas Constitution. Hawkins v. JP Morgan Chase Bank N.A., No. 15-272, U.S. Supreme Court, 577 U.S.__ (Dec. 7, 2015).
- Won summary judgment disposing of all antitrust claims, including monopolization, attempt to monopolize, abuse of monopoly power, and conspiracy in restraint of trade. Schauer v. Cargill Incorporated, No. 21,586, District Court of Gonzales County, Texas (2006).
- Obtained Judgment as a Matter of Law setting aside an $11 million jury verdict in the U.S. District Court. Won affirmance in the Fifth Circuit. Klumpe v. IBP, Inc., 309 F.3d 279 (5th Cir. 2002).
- Won unanimous decision in the Texas Supreme Court overturning jury verdict and reversing Court of Appeal decision. Excel Corp. v. Apodaca, 81 S.W.3d 817 (Tex. 2002).
- Won take nothing judgment for the defendant after 26-day trial in a suit alleging fraud, negligent misrepresentation and breach of fiduciary duty. Won affirmance on appeal. Wil-Roye Investment Co. II v. Washington Mutual Bank, 142 S.W.3d 393 (App.–El Paso 2004).
- The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White Inc.)
- Lawyer of the Year – Dallas, Antitrust Law, 2012
- Antitrust Law, 2005-2023
- Commercial Litigation, 2005-2023
- Litigation – Antitrust, 2012-2023
- Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2003-2016
- Center for Public Resources Legal Program Award for Excellence and Innovation – Alternative Dispute Resolution, 1988
- Dallas Theater Center, Board of Trustees, 2008-2014
- Temple Emanu-El – Dallas, Texas, President, 2003-2005
August 18, 2022Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 214 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2023 Edition, Including 11 “Lawyers of the Year” and 41 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 214 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 79 specialty practice areas in its 2023 edition, including 11 Lawyers of the Year and 41 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
August 19, 2021Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 178 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2022 Edition, Including 8 “Lawyers of the Year” and 31 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 178 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 67 specialty practice areas in its 2022 edition, including 8 Lawyers of the Year and 31 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
August 20, 2020Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 164 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2021 Edition, Including 9 “Lawyers of the Year” and 25 “Ones to Watch”
Jackson Walker congratulates the 164 attorneys who were selected by their peers as Best Lawyers, including 9 Lawyers of the Year and 25 Ones to Watch, across 6 offices and 66 specialty practice areas.
August 14, 2019Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 109 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2020 Edition, With Eight Named “Lawyers of the Year”
Jackson Walker congratulates our 109 attorneys named to U.S. News & World Report’s Best Lawyers in America 2020 list, including eight attorneys who were named “Lawyers of the Year.”
August 16, 2018Attorney News
Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas. For over three decades, recognition in Best Lawyers has been regarded by both clients and legal professionals as a significant honor, since an attorney cannot pay to be listed.
May 23, 2018Insights
On April 5, 2018, the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit decided Stokes v. Southwest Airlines, 887 F.3d 199 (5th Cir. 2018), which expressly overruled precedent set nearly thirty years ago in Shinault v. American Airlines, Inc., 936 F.2d 796, 800 (5th Cir. 1991), by holding that the Air Carrier Access Act of 1986 (ACAA) does not confer a private right of action for disability discrimination against an air carrier.
September 27, 2017Spotlight
For more than 10 years, Jackson Walker has maintained a strong relationship with the Dallas Theater Center (DTC), winner of the 2017 Regional Theatre Tony Award®.
August 15, 2017Attorney News
The Best Lawyers in America, a widely regarded guide to legal excellence, has recognized 94 Jackson Walker attorneys in its 2018 edition. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
September 29, 2016Attorney News
Jackson Walker congratulates the 54 attorneys who were included in the 2016 “Texas Super Lawyers” list by Thomson Reuters.
August 17, 2016Attorney News
Since it was first published in 1983, Best Lawyers has become widely regarded as the definitive guide to legal excellence.
Bob has served as Chair of both the Antitrust and Business Litigation Section of the State Bar of Texas and the Antitrust and Trade Regulation Section of the Dallas Bar Association. Bob is also a Master in the Patrick E. Higginbotham American Inn of Court.