Tim S. Leonard
Tim S. Leonard is a trial attorney with over 40 years experience in civil litigation. As a proven trial attorney, Tim offers a solid understanding of the litigation process and brings real courtroom experience to each engagement. This translates into efficient discovery, aggressive trial preparation and achieving the right results in a timely and cost effective manner.
Representative matters have included:
- Energy related disputes ranging from contract interpretation to exploration and operations issues
- Contract disputes
- Products liability
- Lender liability and financial services litigation
- Patent infringement and unfair competition
- Securities fraud and civil Rico litigation
- SEC investigations
- Bankruptcy litigation
- Class actions
Tim published “Fifth Circuit Survey on Intellectual Property,” 9 Texas Tech Law Review 4. He has lectured on “Strategies and Tactics in Arbitration” and “Selecting and Preparing Witnesses for Depositions and Trials.” His most recent publication is “Coming Out Strong from the Economic Downturn,” Energy Litigation Journal Vol. 9, No. 3 (Spring 2010).
B.A., with honors, Texas Tech University
J.D., Texas Tech University School of Law
Advanced Arbitration (domestic & international), University of Houston Law Center
United States Supreme Court
United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
United States District Court for the Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western Districts of Texas
- Defended OCTG manufacturer in numerous matters involving death, injury, and property damage filed in Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Mississippi.
- Defended automobile manufacturers in numerous product liability matters.
- Defended major energy company in gas processing facility construction dispute where general contractor was terminated before completion.
- Defended manufacturers of oil county tubular goods in casing failures.
- Prosecuted and defended patent infringement action ranging from wellhead protection specialty tools to business method patents for financial institutions.
- Defended operator in multiple personal injury and wrongful death actions that arose from a line rupture.
- Enforcement of Article 9 multimillion dollar security interest in drilling equipment against competing interest of equipment supplier and debtor.
- Defended major consumer lender against state and private actions alleging predatory lending and deceptive trade practices, defeating class certification, and obtaining take nothing judgments or dismissals in each instance.
- Defended Fortune 100 financial institution in connection with a tax free spinoff where former subsidiary sued for undercapitalization.
- Defended Chief Operating Officer of fortune 100 company in SEC investigation and related private litigation where company had previously consented to a judgment that included a 10(b)(5) fraud finding relating to content of the Form 10(k).
- Part of the negotiating team that concluded a comprehensive settlement between a mortgage lender and the 50 state attorney generals.
- Defended a national bank and its subsidiary in a trade practice action brought by a state attorney general obtaining a ruling that the lawsuit was preempted by federal law.
- Prosecuted builder’s risk coverage claim for major engineering and construction company where existing pier that was to be used as a construction platform and then destroyed was prematurely destroyed by fire.
- Defended broker/dealer in multiple securities fraud lawsuits arising out of private offerings and disallowed tax benefits.
- Defended fortune 100 company in series of product liability lawsuits seeking to impose alter ego liability and/or RICO liability relating to operations of former manufacturing subsidiary.
AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
- Texas Bar Foundation
- Sustaining Life Fellow
- Nominations Committee, District 4
- American Bar Association
- Litigation Section
- Antitrust Section
- Bar Association of Fifth Federal Circuit
- Houston Intellectual Property Law Association
- Eastern District of Texas Bar Association
- American Arbitration Association
- Insurance Information Council
- College of the State Bar of Texas
- Saint Francis Medical Center v. Azar, United States Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit (2018)
- Saint Francis Medical Center v. Price, United States District Court, District of Columbia (2017)
- Lawrence E. Jaffe Pension Plan v. Household International, Inc, United States District Court N.D. Illinois, Eastern Division (2017)
- Transunion Intelligence LLC v. Search America, Inc., United States District Court D. Minnesota (2014)
- Tejas Casing, Ltd. v. IPSCO Tubulars, Inc., United States Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit (2014)
- Rodessa Operating Co., Inc. v. Leverich Liquidation Co., L.L.C., Court of Appeals of Texas, Beaumont (2014)
- Domino’s Pizza, L.L.C. v. Umanzor, Court of Appeals of Texas, Houston (1st Dist.) (2012)
- Amacker v. Renaissance Asset Management LLC, United States Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit (2011)
- Datatreasury Corp. v. Wells Fargo & Co., United States District Court. ED. Texas Marshall Division (2007)
- Gulf Rice Arkansas, LLC v. Union Pacific Railroad Co., United States District Court, S.D. Texas, Houston Division (2005)
- Baldwin v. Household Intern., Inc., Court of Appeals of Texas, Houston (14th Dist.) (2001)
- Summit Properties Inc. v. Hoechst Celanese Corp., United States Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit (2000)
- Urrutia v. Decker, Supreme Court of Texas (1999)
- Amarco Petroleum, Inc. v. Texas Pacific Indem. Co., Court of Appeals of Texas, Houston (14th Dist.) (1994)
- Hyundai Motor Co. v. Chandler, Court of Appeals of Texas, Corpus Christi-Edinburg (1994)
- Texas Pacific Indem. Co. v. Atlantic Richfield Co., Court of Appeals of Texas, Houston (14th Dist.) (1993)
- First Interstate Bank of Texas, N.A. v. S.B.F.I., Inc., Court of Appeals of Texas, Dallas (1992)
- Wolverine Exploration Co. v. Natural Gas Pipeline Co. of America Inc., Court of Appeals of Oklahoma, Division No. 1 (1991)
- Crocker Nat. Bank v. Ideco Div. of Dresser Industries, Inc., United States Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit (1989)
- In re Richmond Tank Car Co., United States Bankruptcy Court. S.D Texas, Houston Division (1988)
- Pierce v. Winograd, United States Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit (1985)
- Exxon Corp. v. Atlantic Richfield Co., Supreme Court of Texas (1984)
- Schlipf v. Exxon Corp., Supreme Court of Texas (1982)
- Gabriel v. Snell, Court of Civil Appeals of Texas, Houston (14th Dist.) (1981)