Veronica A. Polnick
Veronica Polnick is an attorney in the bankruptcy and restructuring practice group of Jackson Walker’s Houston office. She has extensive experience representing consumers and businesses in bankruptcy including representation in heavily contested matters.
Veronica also has experience litigating claims for discharge injunction violations, automatic stay violations, dischargeability actions, and other various consumer claims in bankruptcy court. Veronica has counseled both individuals and businesses regarding bankruptcy and restructuring.
Prior to joining Jackson Walker, Veronica served as a briefing attorney to Chief Bankruptcy Judge David R. Jones of the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Texas. Before working for Chief Judge Jones, she owned her own bankruptcy law firm in Houston, TX. Veronica is Board Certified in Consumer Bankruptcy Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
B.S., San Diego State University
J.D., cum laude, Thomas Jefferson School of Law
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Texas
Consumer Bankruptcy Law
- Represented Belk, Inc. in obtaining approval of a prepackaged reorganization plan within 24 hours of filing its Chapter 11 cases, setting a national record for the fastest-ever prepackaged case from filing to emergence. As a result of the restructuring, the retailer eliminated $450 million of debt, received $225 million of new capital for growth initiatives, and was able to maintain all 291 of its store locations across 16 states.
- Represented Technicolor S.A. in filing a Chapter 15 petition in the Southern District of Texas to help reduce $1.58 billion of debt resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic. The Chapter 15 bankruptcy was named a finalist for the restructuring deal of the year at the 2021 IFLR Europe Awards.
- Represents debtor LaForta – Gestão e Investimentos, Sociedade Unipessoal, Lda, a private limited liability company that owns La Muralla IV, a sixth-generation, ultra-deepwater semi-submersible drilling rig. Through its chapter 11 case, LaForta intends to address operational issues and sell or equitize La Muralla to satisfy LaForta’s guaranty of nearly $950 million of secured bonds.
- Representing 4e Brands Northamerica LLC, in its chapter 11 case to address products liability claims and an FDA recall arising from distribution of faulty hand sanitizer and related products and to wind up the business.
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch (Woodward/White Inc.), Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law, 2021-2024
- Texas Rising Star, Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2018-2023
- Named to “Up-and-Coming 50: Women Texas Rising Stars” list, Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2023
- Board Certified in Consumer Bankruptcy Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, 2018
- Houston Bar Association, Bankruptcy Section, Immediate Past Chair and Board Member
- Houston Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys, Member
- Houston Association of Young Bankruptcy Lawyers, Board Member
- International Womens’ Insolvency and Restructuring Confederation, Member
- Texas Bar College, Member
August 17, 2023Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 287 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2024 Edition, Including 12 “Lawyers of the Year” and 80 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 287 Jackson Walker attorneys across 5 offices and 82 specialty practice areas in its 2024 edition, including 12 Lawyers of the Year and 80 Ones to Watch. In this year’s guide, Jackson Walker saw the largest number of attorneys in the areas of Commercial Litigation (66 attorneys) and Real Estate Law (60 attorneys) and the addition of 35 attorneys as Best Lawyers.
August 4, 2023Mentions
The American Lawyer: Jackson Walker is Nation’s Top Local Counsel in Large Bankruptcies, as Bankruptcy and Restructuring Filings Rebound
The American Lawyer cited new research which named Jackson Walker’s Bankruptcy, Restructuring, & Recovery group as the top local debtor’s counsel in the nation so far this year.
April 24, 2023Newsletters
View Jackson Walker’s April 2023 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
March 23, 2023Attorney News
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce the selection of 63 attorneys to Thomson Reuters’ 2023 “Super Lawyers – Rising Stars” list, which recognizes only 5% of Texas attorneys who either are 40 years of age or younger or have been in practice for 10 years or less.
March 23, 2023Attorney News
Jackson Walker congratulates Chris Bankler, Amanda Crouch, Joshua Flores, Noah Galton, Joel Glover, Reagan Marble, and Zach Zurek on their selection to the “Up-and-Coming 100: 2023 Texas Rising Stars” list. In addition, Amanda and Veronica Polnick were named to the “Up-and-Coming 50: 2023 Women Texas Rising Stars” list.
February 13, 2023Attorney News
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce the election of 16 attorneys to the firm’s partnership, marking our largest number of partnership promotions to date.
August 18, 2022Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 214 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2023 Edition, Including 11 “Lawyers of the Year” and 41 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 214 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 79 specialty practice areas in its 2023 edition, including 11 Lawyers of the Year and 41 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
April 21, 2022Newsletters
View Jackson Walker’s April 2022 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
March 22, 2022Attorney News
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce the selection of 51 attorneys to Thomson Reuters’ 2022 “Super Lawyers – Rising Stars” list, which recognizes only 2.5% of Texas attorneys who either are 40 years of age or younger or have been in practice for 10 years or less.