Bruce has extensive experience representing financial institutions, corporations, and other business entities in workout/restructure efforts, chapter bankruptcy proceedings, and litigation. He approaches his cases strategically, proactively and cost-effectively.
For over 30 years, Bruce has represented creditors, creditors’ committees, trustees, debtors, landlords, and asset purchasers in various industries and business environments, including energy, real estate, healthcare, shipping, manufacturing, transportation, retail, entertainment, wholesale produce, heath care, and personal services.
A representative sampling of his past and current cases includes:
- large creditors in the Sabine Oil & Gas, Samson Resources, Swift Energy, Buckingham Oil, Magnum Hunter Resources, Cal Dive, Hercules Offshore, Miller Energy, Enron, RR Marine, Tekoil, Seahawk Drilling, Victory Healthcare and Handy Hardware cases;
- the contract operator in the McKenzie Methane case;
- the Official Unsecured Creditors Committee in the first Continental Airlines case;
- the Indenture Trustee in the Seven Seas Petroleum and Eagle Geophysical cases;
- agent banks in the Global Marine, Southern Mineral and North American Petroleum cases;
- seismic licensors in the Global Geophysical, Dune Energy and Milagro Oil & Gas cases;
- the debtor’s president in the Davis Petroleum case;
- the Debtor in the HRD, Cooper Manufacturing and NR Offshore cases;
- a major litigant in the Houston Regional Sports Network case; the Trustee in the CNC Payroll and Trinity Energy cases;
- an asset purchaser in the Torqued-Up Energy Services case;
- the letter of credit issuing bank in the Osyka case; the Chairman of the Official Unsecured Creditors Committee in the Panaco case;
- multiple mid-stream companies in connection with the treatment of their contracts in producer bankruptcy cases; and
- lenders in workouts of various producers and service companies.
Bruce has litigated a wide variety of issues in Chapter 11 cases, including involuntary petition, cash collateral, DIP lending, automatic stay, sale/sale procedures, avoidance action, turnover, discharge/dischargeability, exemption, dismissal/conversion, abstention, executory contract/lease, Trustee/Examiner/CRO, proof of claim, Safe Harbor Provisions and plan confirmation issues. He has also handled workouts in a wide variety of industries.
- Represented Bank Group in North American Petroleum Chapter 11 Case in Delaware. Following extensive litigation, Banks recovered all $100 million of principal plus a portion of their interest.
- Represented Senior Secured Creditor in workout of a series of waterparks, resulting in a full pay takeout of the senior secured debt by the subordinated lender.
- Represented Chapter 11 Trustee and the Liquidating Plan Trustee in Houston liquidation of international energy company that produced payment of all allowed claims and certain shareholder interests.
- Represented president of family-owned petroleum company in pre-packaged Chapter 11 case in the Southern District of Texas confirmed in less than a week, and in subsequent multi-year litigation.
- Represented Unsecured Creditors Committee in first Continental Airlines case in Houston. A plan was confirmed providing for payment of 100% of allowed unsecured claim.
Practices before courts in Texas, Delaware, New York, and other states.
- UNCF South Texas Leadership Council
- UNCF’s Houston Gala, Honorary co-chair, 2014
- Houston area Duke University Alumni Admissions Advisory Committee, Chair, Co-Chair
- Board of Directors of the Duke University Alumni Association
- Houston Diversity Council
- Houston Bar Association
- Bankruptcy Section, President
- Legal Profession Committee, Co-chair – Minority Opportunities
- Houston Bankruptcy Inn of Courts, Past President
- Chapter 11 Advisory Committee for the Southern District of Texas
- State Bar of Texas
- American Bankruptcy Institute
News & Events
- News & Publications
Jackson Walker Congratulates Its 2016 Chambers-Ranked Partners and Practice Groups
Sabine Court Gives ‘Non-Binding’ Ruling That Gathering Agreements Are Not Covenants Running with the Land Under Texas Law
Amy Baird, Monica Blacker, and Bruce Ruzinsky Participate in 4th Midstream Oil and Gas Law Conference
Bruce Ruzinsky Named Texas Minority Counsel Program 2015 Trailblazer Outside Counsel of the Year
Jackson Walker Congratulates Its Best Lawyers in America 2016
Monica Blacker and Bruce Ruzinsky Speak on Upstream Oil and Gas Bankruptcy Risk
Jackson Walker Congratulates Its 2015 Chambers-Ranked Partners and Practice Groups
Considerations and Consequences of a Bankruptcy Filing in the Oil and Gas Industry
Bruce Ruzinsky, Pat Sharkey and Matthew Cavenaugh Speak at NALS Education Conference and Forum
Chris Mugica and Bruce Ruzinsky Speak at Texas Minority Counsel Program
Greg Lambert Quoted in ‘Law360’ on Cutting-Edge Law Firm Technologies
Bruce Ruzinsky Named a Finalist for Trailblazer Outside Counsel of the Year Award
Jackson Walker Congratulates Its Best Lawyers in America 2015
Jackson Walker Ranked Among Top Texas Firms for Diversity
Commodity Repo Agreements for Crude Oil Inventory
Recent Case on Safe Harbor Provisions in Swap Agreements
Jackson Walker attorneys selected for 2014 The Best Lawyers in America
Jackson Walker Ranked Among Top 5 Texas Firms for Diversity
Jackson Walker Congratulates its 2012 Chambers-Ranked Partners and Practice Groups
"Dealing with Counterparty/Bankruptcy Risk in the Upstream Oil and Gas Industry"
"Considerations and Consequences of a Bankruptcy Filing in the Oil and Gas Industry"
"Commodity Repo Agreements for Crude Oil Inventory"
"Recent Case on Safe Harbor Provisions in Swap Agreements"
"Bankruptcy Court Grants TRO in Favor of Non-Bankrupt Guarantor"
"Courts Continue to Question Meaning of "Forward Contract Merchants"
"Bankruptcy Code's Safe Harbor Provisions for Forward Contracts -- Are you Protected?"
"Bankruptcy Overview" - Selected Topics