Christian A. Triantaphyllis
Christian Triantaphyllis, who leads Jackson Walker’s Investment Immigration practice, represents foreign nationals and immigrant investors in cross-border and business immigration matters, usually dealing with regional centers and direct investments. In his practice, Christian regularly serves as counsel to real estate developers, regional centers, private equity funds, and family offices, and advises those on structuring potential EB-5 funding by providing analysis on project business plans, securities offerings, and economic reports. His practice also includes working with attorneys across Jackson Walker’s real estate and corporate practices to facilitate Qualified Opportunity Zone investments for both real estate and operating businesses.
Christian has become particularly experienced assisting foreign nationals, entrepreneurs, and high-net worth families from around the world through the EB-5 visa program, preparing and filing I-526 petitions and I-829 petitions for regional centers and direct investors.
Additionally, Christian is a skilled employment immigration attorney who advises employers about obtaining temporary work visas and permanent resident status for current and prospective employees. Christian is a specialist in assisting clients with E-2 investor visas and L-1 New Office visas for start-up companies in the United States, and advises foreign nationals and U.S. companies on immigration law compliance matters in accordance with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, U.S. Customs and Border Protection, and the U.S. Department of State.
Christian frequently speaks about business immigration topics in the U.S. and internationally. He is also a prolific writer and has contributed to various publications including EB5 Investor, American Immigration Lawyers Association, Texas Lawbook, and The National Law Review, among others. Recognized as one of the preeminent business immigration attorneys in the U.S., he was named to EB5 Investor Magazine’s Top 25 Immigration Attorneys from 2017 to 2020.
Christian cut his teeth as a global citizen serving in the United States Peace Corps as a health sector volunteer and went on to serve as a law clerk with the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia in the Netherlands. Christian is a conversational speaker of Spanish and Chichewa (Malawi).
B.A., Southern Methodist University
J.D., New York Law School
Foreign Investment & Immigration
- EB-5 Attorney – immigrant investment petitions
- I-924 Regional Center applications & amendments
- Petitions to acquire work-authorization for foreign national professional employees
- Immigration compliance in accordance with USCIS, Customs & Border Protection, and the Department of State
- Advises project developers on establishing EB-5 projects throughout the United States
- The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White Inc.), Real Estate Law, 2023
- Texas Rising Star, Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2022
- Top 25 Immigration Attorneys, EB5 Investors Magazine, 2017-2021
- Top 5 EB-5 Rising Star, EB5 Investors Magazine, 2016
- New York Law School Public Interest Fellowship Award
- Contributing Author, “EB-5 DIRECT: An Alternative Approach to EB-5 Financing for Regional Centers” IIUSA Regional Center Business Journal, Fall 2021
- Co-Author, “How to Estimate EB-5 Visa Wait Times” EB5 Affiliate Network, 2019
- Author, “Business Growth Through Immigration Programs,” Texas Lawyer, 2019
- Author, “Managing EB-5 Client Expectations as an Immigration Attorney” Immigration Options for Investors and Entrepreneurs, 4th Ed., 2019
- Co-Author, “Permissible and Impermissible Guarantees in EB-5” EB5 Investors Magazine, 2016
- Author, “Prevailing Against the Notice of Intent to Terminate,” EB5 Investors Magazine, 2016
- Author, “What is an O-1/O-2 Visa,” EB5 Investors Website, April 2016
- Co-Author, “Impact of Visa Retrogression on Project Choice” EB5 Investors Magazine, 2015
- Co-Author, “Evaluating an EB-5 Investor from a Regional Center’s Perspective,” ABA Section of International Law, Immigration & Naturalization Committee Newsletter 2015, Second Issue
- Co-Author, “Immigrant Investor Visas: Emergent Trends Around the World,” ABA International Law News, Vol. 43, No. 4, Fall 2014
- Co-Author, “A Report on Source of Funds: Perils of the Administrative Fee,” EB5 Investors Magazine, Spring 2014
- Author, “Top Five Issues in Analyzing I-924 Requests for Evidence,” National Law Review, June 17, 2014
- Co-Author, “Evolving Escrow: Navigating Delayed USCIS Processing Times,” EB5 Investors Magazine, Winter 2014
- Co-Author, “My Regional Center is Approved! Now What?” EB5 Investors Magazine, January 8, 2014
- Co-Author, “Recent Revocations and Enforcement May Change the EB-5 Landscape,” Association to Invest in the USA, June 2013
- Co-Author, “Twenty Mechanisms for Addressing Torture in Health Care,” Soros Foundation, Open Society Institute, June 2012
- Author, “Transitional Justice: Are Truth and Reconciliation Committees Worth It?” University of Brazil Law Students’ Review, 10th ed., 2011
- “Obtain a U.S. Green Card With an $800K EB-5 Investment – Houston,” EB5 Affiliate Network (August 2022)
- Speaker at the EB-5 & Global Immigration Expo United States by Uglobal Immigration Magazine/EB5 Investors Magazine in Miami, FL (April 2022)
- “Direct EB-5: A Temporary Fix or an Emerging Solution?,” IIUSA Virtual EB-5 Industry Forum (November 2021)
- “Direct EB-5 Investment at $500K with Top Immigration Attorneys – What Investors Should Know for Direct EB-5 Investment” (July 2021)
- “Navigating the E-2 and EB-5 Immigration Process Under Today’s Immigration Bans and COVID-19,” FirstPathway Partners (June 2020)
- “Immigration Issues to Consider During the Coronavirus Epidemic,” Jackson Walker Fast Takes podcast (April 2020)
- Speaker on Regional Center Compliance Reviews, Invest in the USA (IIUSA) Conference in Washington DC (May 2019)
- Speaker on Hot Topics in EB-5 Investment Funds, Investment Immigration Expo in Beijing, China (May 18, 2017)
- Speaker on EB-5 Immigrant Investor Program, University of Houston in Houston, TX, (April 8, 2017)
- Speaker on EB-5 Investment and Innovation, NES Financial Conference in Miami, FL (February 6, 2017)
- Speaker on EB-5 Investment Project Due Diligence Issues, EB-5 Investment Conference in Las Vegas, NV (January 14, 2017)
- Speaker on Direct EB-5 Investment, 2015 AILA EB-5 Investors Summit in Washington DC (October 24, 2016)
- Speaker on Investment and Start-Up Company Immigration Options, Harvard Business School in Cambridge, MA (October 17, 2016)
- Speaker on EB-5 Investment Hot Topics, 2016 AILA Rocky Mountain Chapter in Denver, CO (October 12, 2016)
- Guest Lecturer on EB-5 Immigrant Investor Program, South Texas Law School in Houston, TX, (September 21, 2016)
- Speaker on Real Estate Investments and EB-5, Think Realty Investment Conference in San Francisco, CA (August 12, 2016)
- Speaker on EB-5 Investment Hot Topics – Advanced Issues, EB-5 Investment Conference in New York, NY (July 18, 2016)
- Speaker on EB-5 Investment Project Underwriting, Investment Immigration Expo in Shanghai, China (May 9, 2016)
- Speaker on EB-5 Project Due Diligence, Overseas Investment & Wealth Management Forum in Beijing, China (May 6, 2016)
- Speaker on Immigration Law and EB5, Houston Association of Realtors in Houston, TX (April 28, 2016)
- Speaker on EB-5 Program Updates and Hot Topics, 2016 AILA Texas Chapter in Austin, TX (April 16, 2016)
- Speaker on U.S. As An Option for Immigrant Investors, Immigration Investment Summit in Dubai, UAE (March 8, 2016)
- Speaker on EB-5 Draft Legislation, NES Financial Conference in San Francisco, CA (February 9, 2016)
- Speaker on Enhanced Role of the SEC in Immigrant Investments: An analysis of investigations in 2015, EB-5 Investment Conference in Las Vegas, NV (January 16, 2016)
- Speaker on Lawful Source of Funds for Latin America, AILA EB-5 Investors Summit in Las Vegas, NV (August 27, 2015)
- Speaker on EB-5 Investment Funds, ILW EB-5 Summit for Attorneys & Developers in Washington DC (June 17, 2015)
- Speaker on EB-5 Investment Program, Become an American Investor in Sao Paulo, Brazil (December 15, 2015)
- Speaker on EB-5 Immigration for Mexican Investors, Mexican Investor Summit in McAllen, TX (May 9, 2014)
- Speaker on ILW EB-5 Summit for Attorneys & Developers in Houston, TX (November 12, 2013)
In the News
- “USCIS reinstates deference policy to speed up EB-5 and other petition adjudications,” EB5 Investors (April 2021)
- Guest Commentator, “Changes To Investor Visa Program May Affect Houston Development,” NPR / Houston Public Media (November 2019)
- “H-1B petitions rise reflects renewed interest in US, but rejection rate stays high,” Moneycontrol.com (April 23, 2019)
- American Immigration Lawyers Association
- Texas Chapter, Member
- Bangkok Chapter, Member
- Annual Conference 2017, Conference Committee Member
- Houston Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Immigration Litigation Committee, News Editor, 2012-2013
- National Peace Corps Association, Member
- National Inter-Faith Foundation for increasing affordable housing supply, creating jobs, and providing social services, Board Member
- Greater Houston Partnership International Trade Development Committee
- Greater Houston Partnership, Business Resource Group–Business Beyond Borders
August 18, 2022Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 214 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2023 Edition, Including 11 “Lawyers of the Year” and 41 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 214 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 79 specialty practice areas in its 2023 edition, including 11 Lawyers of the Year and 41 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
July 5, 2022Insights
By Christian Triantaphyllis
Thanks to a recent decision by a California federal judge, previously authorized regional centers are allowed to continue operations while litigation is pending, “or until the agency engages in a reasoned decision-making process regarding how to treat these centers under the Integrity Act.”
April 29, 2022Insights
By Christian Triantaphyllis | On April 29, 2022, USCIS held its EB-5 Reform and Integrity Act of 2022 Listening Session and clarified that entities seeking to be designated as a regional center are required to file Form I-956, Application for Regional Center Designation.
March 30, 2022Newsletters
View the April 2022 edition of the Labor & Employment Dispatch.
March 22, 2022Attorney News
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce the selection of 51 attorneys to Thomson Reuters’ 2022 “Super Lawyers – Rising Stars” list, which recognizes only 2.5% of Texas attorneys who either are 40 years of age or younger or have been in practice for 10 years or less.
March 15, 2022Insights
By Christian Triantaphyllis | Substantial changes are forthcoming for the EB-5 Immigrant Investor Program as the omnibus spending bill awaits President Biden’s signature.
February 14, 2022Attorney News
Jay Rutherford Elevated to Office Managing Partner, and Jesse S. Lotay and Christian Triantaphyllis Named Firmwide Practice Leaders
Congratulations to Jay Rutherford on his appointment as managing partner of the Fort Worth office. In addition, Jesse S. Lotay and Christian Triantaphyllis now serve as firmwide chairs of the Energy and Business Immigration & Compliance practices, respectively.
February 11, 2022Attorney News
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce the election of 14 attorneys to the Firm’s partnership on Friday, February 11, 2022. In addition to electing 14 new partners, the Firm also congratulates Bart Cicuto, Noah Speck, and Austin Thomas on their promotion from associates to senior counsel.
February 1, 2022Newsletters
View the February 2022 edition of the Labor & Employment Dispatch.
January 27, 2022Attorney News
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce the addition of Kelly D. Cobb as a partner in the Houston office. Kelly focuses on U.S. immigration law, specifically corporate immigration, family-based immigration, and the compliant manning of offshore personnel.