Justin V. Lee
Justin V. Lee represents a wide range of national and international clients, including airlines, manufacturers, fixed-base operators, real estate firms, insurance companies, financial services institutions, music industry entities, and technology infrastructure firms. He has experience handling a variety of litigation matters including partnership disputes, breach of contract claims, violations of federal and state regulations, product liability claims, and personal injury and wrongful death claims.
Prior to joining Jackson Walker, Justin worked on the staff for a member of the United States Congress and served as a helicopter pilot in the United States Army, logging more than 1,500 flight hours and over 600 hours of combat time. He deployed twice to Afghanistan in support of Operation Enduring Freedom and to Pakistan for humanitarian relief operations, and was an instructor pilot in the Boeing CH-47 “Chinook” helicopter.
B.S., Texas A&M University
J.D., cum laude, SMU Dedman School of Law
United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
United States District Court for the Northern, Southern, Eastern, and Western Districts of Texas
Texas County and District Courts
- First-chaired a jury trial involving a dispute between members of a limited liability company. Obtained a directed verdict at the conclusion of evidence, dismissing two of the four defendants and dismissing claims for conversion, fraud, theft of services, and declaratory relief against the remaining defendants. Successfully argued post-verdict motion for reduction of attorneys’ fees award.
- Successfully represented a limited partner in a jury trial involving claims for breach of fiduciary duty and fraud.
- Successfully represented a roofing supply manufacturer in a jury trial involving claims for breach of contract.
- Defended a commercial real estate company in a bench trial involving claims for declaratory relief under the Texas Declaratory Judgments Act.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of a major air carrier on a personal injury claim.
- Obtained dismissal of a foreign manufacturer from a product liability lawsuit involving an offshore helicopter crash.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of a roofing materials manufacturer on claims for fraud and violations of the Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Act.
- Obtained dismissal of an out-of-state aircraft fuel provider from a personal injury lawsuit involving an airplane crash in Central Texas.
- Obtained judgment for damages on behalf of a Part 135 charter flight company for nonpayment of services.
- Represented a Part 142 flight training center in an agency appeal before the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Successfully represented a worldwide manufacturer of helicopter engines in three wrongful death lawsuits. The Court of Appeals of North Carolina dismissed the client from the case for lack of personal jurisdiction.
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch (Woodward/White Inc.), Commercial Litigation, 2022-2023
- Texas Rising Star, Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2022
- Recognized at The Gathering for service as a pilot and commander of an Army Chinook unit in Afghanistan, Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA), 2018
- Author, “An Enduring Legacy of Service,” The Texas Lawbook (2022)
- Author, “Recent Developments in Aviation Law,” 83 Journal of Air Law and Commerce 193 (2018)
- Speaker, “Recent Developments in Aviation Law,” 52nd Annual SMU Air Law Symposium, Irving, Texas (April 5, 2018)
- Speaker, “Plot Your Course: How to Avoid Pre-Suit Issues,” ABA Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section, Aviation and Space Law Conference, Washington, D.C. (October 25, 2019)
- Rockwall Economic Development Corporation, Board of Directors (2021-present)
- Rockwall & Heath Lacrosse, Inc., Board of Directors (2018-2021, 2022-present)
- President (2020-2021)
- J.E.R. Chilton YMCA at Rockwall, Board of Management (2017-present)
- Chairman (2022-present)
November 11, 2022Spotlight
In honor of Veterans Day, Justin V. Lee shared his story as a U.S. Army helicopter pilot in Pakistan and Afghanistan and his continued commitment to service.
September 13, 2022Client Results
The Court of Appeals of North Carolina on September 6, 2022, ruled in favor of Jackson Walker client Safran Helicopter Engines in an appeal over whether the trial court could assert personal jurisdiction over the company.
August 18, 2022Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 214 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2023 Edition, Including 11 “Lawyers of the Year” and 41 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 214 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 79 specialty practice areas in its 2023 edition, including 11 Lawyers of the Year and 41 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
March 22, 2022Attorney News
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce the selection of 51 attorneys to Thomson Reuters’ 2022 “Super Lawyers – Rising Stars” list, which recognizes only 2.5% of Texas attorneys who either are 40 years of age or younger or have been in practice for 10 years or less.
June 10, 2021Mentions
Jackson Walker Client Asks Texas Supreme Court to Grant Request for In-Person Jury Trial in Personal Injury Suit
In a petition for writ of mandamus filed on June 8, 2021, Allied Aviation Fueling Company of Houston Inc. requested the Texas Supreme Court order an in-person jury trial after Harris County District Judge Dedra Davis set the case for a remote jury trial over Zoom for June 9. The Texas Supreme Court granted Allied Aviation’s motion for stay of the remote trial while the petition for writ of mandamus is under consideration.
March 23, 2020Insights
Governor Abbott issued a proclamation suspending provisions of the Texas Election Code and the Texas Water Code to allow political subdivisions to postpone their 2020 local elections that are currently scheduled from May 2 through November 3.
August 7, 2019Client Results
Joint Aviation and Appellate Team Secures Favorable Result on Behalf of Flight Training International
In collaboration with Flight Training International, Jackson Walker successfully contested an FAA order issued in April 2019 revoking approval for an Airline Transport Pilot (ATP) certification course.
March 28, 2019Newsletters
Featuring “Two New Supreme Court Decisions Alter the Landscape for Litigating Copyright Infringement Cases”; Paul Watler’s interview in “Texas Court of Criminal Appeals Strikes Down Key Texas Open Meetings Act Provision”; a throwback to two of Bob Latham’s Winners & Losers columns on college basketball; and insights on the campaign finance rules for municipal elections.
March 15, 2019Insights
Municipal elections present a great opportunity for voters and donors alike to weigh-in on a host of local issues. But it is important to note that state and local rules limit the amounts and types of contributions that individuals and political committees can make to these campaigns.
August 24, 2018Attorney News
The Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA) honored Justin V. Lee for his service as a pilot and commander of an Army Chinook unit in Afghanistan at its fundraiser gala dinner, The Gathering.