Kal Grant is an experienced wealth planning attorney and trust and estate strategist in Jackson Walker’s Dallas office. Kal works closely with clients to counsel them through the optimal creation, use, and coordination strategies of estate planning vehicles and techniques, including trusts, family-owned entities, charitable planning, and various disposition matters. In her practice, Kal regularly corresponds with and counsels clients on trust administration practices, including assisting co-trustees in carrying out fiduciary duties and assisting in trustee succession planning, governance processes, and trustee appointments and resignations.
With more than 25 years in the industry, Kal has gained particular knowledge and understanding of the processes and resources necessary to guide individuals, families, and nonprofit organizations through the creation, establishment, and sustentation of their charitable mission. She previously led an advisory team dedicated to providing nonprofit organizations strategic advice and planning, governance and fiduciary assistance, philanthropic research and best practices.
Prior to joining Jackson Walker, Kal served as a Managing Director, Estate and Trust Strategist for an ultra-high net worth multi-family office based in Dallas, Texas. She began her career in the finance sector as a Managing Director with JPMorgan Private Bank.
B.A., Southern Methodist University
- President’s Scholar
- University Scholar
- National Merit Scholar
J.D., summa cum laude, Texas Tech University School of Law
- Regent’s Scholar
LL.M., Taxation, SMU Dedman School of Law
- “Estate Planning Still Matters,” Jackson Walker Alert (April 2020)
- Co-Author, “Tools and Tripwires Involved in Using Retirement Accounts for Charitable Planned Gifts,” Bloomberg Tax Tax Management Estates, Gifts, and Trusts Journal (January 2020)
- Co-Author, “Tools and Tripwires Involved in Using Retirement Accounts for Charitable Planned Gifts,” Bloomberg Tax Tax Management Memorandum (December 2019)
- Co-Author, “INSIGHT: Tools and Tripwires Involved in Using Retirement Accounts for Charitable Planned Gifts,” Bloomberg Tax Daily Tax Report (December 2019)
- Co-Author, “INSIGHT: Notre Dame Fire Underscores Tools and Tripwires in Supporting Charitable Work Abroad,” Bloomberg Tax Daily Tax Report (April 2019)
- “Tools and Tripwires Involved in Supporting Charitable Work Abroad,” Jackson Walker Alert (April 2019)
- Speaker, “Basics of Estate Planning,” Executive Women of Dallas (October 2019)
- Directions, Board Member
- Dallas Council of Charitable Gift Partners, Former Board Member
- ChildCareGroup, Board Member
- Communities Foundation of Texas, Advisory Board Member
- Southern Methodist University Planned Giving Council, Advisory Board Member
- Texas Lawyers Helping Lawyers, Volunteer