Marilyn M. Brown
Marilyn M. Brown has experience in a wide variety of commercial litigation, with particular emphasis on insurance and employment matters.
Marilyn’s litigation experience gives her unique knowledge to assist her clients in non-litigation capacities as well.
Before joining Jackson Walker, she served as a Briefing Attorney on the Fourteenth Court of Appeals where she worked in the chambers of Justice Wanda McKee Fowler.
B.A., University of Texas at Austin
J.D., magna cum laude, Baylor Law School
- Executive Editor, Baylor Law Review
- Order of Barristers
- Mock Trial and Moot Court Competitions
United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
United States District Courts for the Eastern, Northern, Southern, and Western District of Texas
United States District Court for the District of Colorado
Representative Insurance Litigation Matters
- Represented property insurance companies in a nationwide class action filed in Arkansas state court.
- Represented property insurance companies in single-state class action cases filed in Missouri, Tennessee, Arkansas, Ohio, and Texas.
- Represented auto insurance companies in single-state class action cases filed in New Mexico and Arkansas.
- Obtained dismissal under the Class Action Fairness Act of a putative class action in Texas federal court in which the plaintiffs alleged that insurers unfairly discriminated in their collection of policy fees for automobile insurance policies. The Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals affirmed that dismissal on appeal.
- Represented life insurance company in cases filed in state and federal courts across Texas.
- Obtained injunctive relief for insurance companies seeking to prevent independent contractors who possessed proprietary and trade secret customer information from using said information in competition with insurers.
Representative Employment Litigation Matters
- Obtained summary judgment in employer’s favor in federal lawsuit involving employee’s claims for age discrimination (disparate treatment, disparate impact and hostile work environment), retaliation and intentional infliction of emotional distress.
- Secured dismissal with prejudice of lawsuit in which individual alleged that his former supervisor and former employer defamed him.
Representative Non-Litigation Matters
- Representing insurance companies in responding to Civil Investigative Demands.
- Advising insurance companies and insurance agencies regarding privacy obligations and protection of proprietary information.
- Advising insurance companies about regulatory obligations.
- Representing parties whose information is sought by way of open records requests directed to state or federal agencies such as the Texas Department of Insurance, the Texas Department of Transportation, and the Federal Highway Administration, including appeal of decisions to district court when warranted.
- Advising executives and employers regarding noncompetition and nonsolicitation clauses.
- Advising executives and employers regarding severance and separation agreements.
- Representing employers in connection with administrative proceedings before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), the Texas Workforce Commission (TWC), and the City of Austin Equal Employment and Fair Housing Office.
- The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White Inc.), 2023-2024
- Commercial Litigation, 2024
- Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law, 2023-2024
- Litigation – Labor and Employment, 2023-2024
- Texas Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2023
- Lawdragon 500 Leading Litigators in America, 2023-2024
- Texas Rising Star, Super Lawyers – Rising Stars by Thomson Reuters, 2010, 2013-2019
- Volunteer Legal Services of Central Texas, Board Member and President-Elect;
- Past Treasurer, Past Secretary
- Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Austin Young Lawyers Association, Sustaining Member
- Travis County Women Lawyers Foundation, Fellow
- Travis County Women Lawyers Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Austin Bar Association, Member
September 19, 2023Attorney News
Each year, less than 5% of attorneys in Texas are named to the list. Selection is based off of peer nominations that are then reviewed by a research team. Each nominee is evaluated on his or her professional accomplishments, peer recognition, and community involvement.
September 14, 2023Attorney News
Jackson Walker Congratulates 35 Attorneys Named Among the Lawdragon 500 Leading Litigators in America
Jackson Walker announces the selection of 35 attorneys to Lawdragon’s 2024 list of the 500 leading litigators in America.
August 17, 2023Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 287 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2024 Edition, Including 12 “Lawyers of the Year” and 80 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 287 Jackson Walker attorneys across 5 offices and 82 specialty practice areas in its 2024 edition, including 12 Lawyers of the Year and 80 Ones to Watch. In this year’s guide, Jackson Walker saw the largest number of attorneys in the areas of Commercial Litigation (66 attorneys) and Real Estate Law (60 attorneys) and the addition of 35 attorneys as Best Lawyers.
November 17, 2022Newsletters
View Jackson Walker’s November 2022 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
October 7, 2022Attorney News
Jackson Walker Congratulates 36 Attorneys Named Among the Lawdragon 500 Leading Litigators in America
Jackson Walker announces the selection of 36 attorneys to Lawdragon’s inaugural list of the 500 leading litigators in America.
August 18, 2022Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 214 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2023 Edition, Including 11 “Lawyers of the Year” and 41 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 214 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 79 specialty practice areas in its 2023 edition, including 11 Lawyers of the Year and 41 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
June 17, 2021Mentions
Expect Variety Across the State as Courts Reopen: A Q&A with Jackson Walker’s Marilyn M. Brown | Texas Lawyer
Marilyn M. Brown, an Austin-based civil trial lawyer with Jackson Walker who has tried cases at various stages of litigation in state and federal courthouses both inside and outside of Texas throughout the pandemic, spoke recently with Texas Lawyer about her own practice and why some elements of remote courthouse work are here to stay.
March 6, 2019Attorney News
Jackson Walker is excited to congratulate our 34 attorneys who were named to Thomson Reuters’ 2019 “Super Lawyers – Rising Stars” list.
June 13, 2018Insights
Justice Ginsburg delivered the opinion of the Court in China Agritech, Inc. v. Resh, No. 17-342, in which Chief Justice Roberts and Justices Kennedy, Thomas, Breyer, Alito, Kagan, and Gorsuch joined. Justice Sotomayor filed an opinion concurring in the judgment.