Michael E. Taten
Michael E. Taten represents a wide range of clients in business law transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, corporate transactions, joint ventures, executive employment and compensation arrangements, equity financing transactions, and corporate governance. His clients represent a diversity of industry sectors, including healthcare, manufacturing and distribution, technology and service providers.
Mike serves as the Managing Partner of the Firm’s Dallas office, and serves on the Firm’s Management and Compensation Committees.
Mike is routinely called upon by publicly-traded and privately owned companies, family-owned businesses, family offices, and entrepreneurs seeking assistance with corporate transactions that are transformational for their businesses. He also advises executives and employers in structuring executive employment and compensation arrangements.
Mike is hired in situations requiring the management of complex and sensitive issues, guiding clients through transactions by approaching difficult legal situations with practical, value-oriented solutions and an overlay of good business judgment.
Mike’s transactional practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, recapitalizations, equity financing transactions and corporate governance. He represents investors, buyers and sellers of businesses, achieving their objectives and protecting their interests through transaction structure, due diligence, and strategic crafting of representations and warranties, deal protections, and indemnification provisions.
Mike’s practice relating to executive employment arrangements focuses on issues facing high-level executives and the organizations employing them, including:
- Negotiation of executive employment agreements in a manner that reflects positively on the client;
- Protection against liability through indemnification, exculpation, and insurance;
- Equity compensation structures, including profits interests, restricted stock, stock options, restricted stock units, phantom stock arrangements, change in control agreements;
- Related shareholder, investor and buy-sell agreements;
- Liaising with tax advisors regarding tax planning, including deferred compensation issues under Section 409A and parachute compensation issues under Section 280G for optimum tax efficiency; and
- Issues unique to constituency directors, such as conflicts between their fiduciary duties to the portfolio company and the investor.
A.B., Stanford University
J.D., Duke University School of Law
- Represented private equity firm in acquisitions that led it to be ranked the most acquisitive firm in the south by Pitchbook Data in the first quarter of 2020.
- Represented $4 billion distribution company in multiple acquisitions and divestitures, including two simultaneous acquisitions to establish a footprint in a new market area and a joint venture with a competitor.
- Represented Fortune 15 company in auction of subsidiary, a $30+ million acquisition of a competitor’s division and several private equity investments.
- Represented Fortune 60 company in multiple investments in new energy ventures.
- Represented distribution company in creation of nationwide industry leading company through a joint venture with strategic partner
- Represented management team in equity rollover and new employment agreements and equity awards with public company acquiror
- Represented public company in negotiation of employment agreement with incoming CEO
- Represented numerous CEOs, CFOs, and other c-level executives in their negotiations with public and private companies
- Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2014-2019
- Rising Stars, Thomson Reuters, 2004-2007
- Dallas Business Journal
- Best Sale award
- Best Buyout or Change of Ownership award
- M&A Transaction of the Year award
- Dallas Regional Chamber, Board of Directors
- Committee on Mergers & Acquisition (formerly Negotiated Acquisitions Committee)
- American Bar Association – Business Law Section, Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation Committee
- State Bar of Texas
- Dallas Bar Association
- Ardent Hospice, Advisory Board
- State Bar of Texas – Business Law Section, Donated Legal Services Committee – Former Chairman
- Corporate & Securities