Nancy W. Hamilton
Nancy Wells Hamilton has appeared in federal and state courts in Texas, California, Illinois, Massachusetts, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and Virginia for clients who have included CNN, Oprah Winfrey, Dr. Phil, CBS, Inc., The Tribune Company, and U.S. Trust. Nancy is a frequent writer and lecturer on trial tactics and media law, including What to do When the Media Calls and Building Rapport in the Courthouse for the Texas State Bar; Trial Techniques for the Media Law Resource Center Annual Conferences in 2006 and 2008; an appearance on PBS Houston’s KUHT-TV program The Connection on videotaping jury deliberations; and a Texas State Bar Pattern Jury Charge project.
B.A., Skidmore College
J.D., University of Houston Law Center
- United States Court of Appeals for the First, Second, Fifth, and Seventh Circuits
- United States District Court for the Eastern, Northern, Southern, and Western Districts of Texas
- United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
Nancy was instrumental in securing a dismissal for Houston’s Dynamo Stadium LLC, Houston’s major league soccer venue, and the Stadium security manager, Nathan Buchanan, in a civil rights lawsuit involving the waving of a Palestinian flag by an attendee at a Honduras v. Israel soccer game. Nancy and co-counsel Joel R. Glover moved for summary judgment and in granting the motion, the judge ruled that the plaintiff did not provide evidence that the defendants acted on account of the plaintiff’s race, ethnicity or national origin or that the government was involved in the defendants’ actions, both necessary requirements for a civil rights case to go forward.
“There was no evidence of the government actually being involved in this incident,” said Nancy in an article about the case published in the Houston Chronicle on November 19, 2015. “Nor was there any evidence that the stadium personnel were enforcing any city ordinance.” “There was no evidence that the stadium personnel were aware of her race and nationality,” and no violations of her civil rights,” as the court so found.
- Matthew Miles Barasch v. CBS Television Distribution as a Division of CBS Studios, Inc., 2018 – In the Court of Appeal of the State of California, Second Appellate District, Division One
- Buthayna Hammad v. Dynamo Stadium, LLC and Nathan Buchanan, 2015 – In the United States District Court; Southern District of Texas
- Deepak Kalpoe et al v. Phillip C. McGraw, et al, 2015 – Second District Court of Appeals
- Southern Chemical Corporation v. Celanese Ltd., 2012 – U.S. District Court – 190th Judicial District, Harris County, TX
- The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White Inc.), 2005-2024
- Lawyer of the Year – Houston, Litigation – First Amendment, 2023
- Litigation – First Amendment, 2012-2024
- First Amendment Law, 2008-2011
- Denis B. Kemball-Cook Award, Skidmore College, 2023
- Outstanding Service Award, Skidmore College, 2017
- Kristi Couvillon Pro Bono Award, Texas Civil Rights Project, 2013
- Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers (Thomson Reuters), 2003
- Top Lawyer, H Texas magazine
- AV Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
- Houston Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas
- Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Skidmore College
- Chair of the Board of Trustees, 2019-2023
- Past Member and Vice-Chair of the Alumni Association Board of Directors
- Member of the President’s Advisory Council
- Member of the 2019 Presidential Search Committee
- Co-Chair of Creating our Future: The Campaign for Skidmore Fundraiser
- Council of 100
- KMV Campaign Committee
- Member of Advancement, Executive, Trusteeship, and Academic Affairs Committees
August 24, 2023Newsletters
View Jackson Walker’s August 2023 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
August 17, 2023Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 287 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2024 Edition, Including 12 “Lawyers of the Year” and 80 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 287 Jackson Walker attorneys across 5 offices and 82 specialty practice areas in its 2024 edition, including 12 Lawyers of the Year and 80 Ones to Watch. In this year’s guide, Jackson Walker saw the largest number of attorneys in the areas of Commercial Litigation (66 attorneys) and Real Estate Law (60 attorneys) and the addition of 35 attorneys as Best Lawyers.
May 25, 2023Newsletters
View the May/June 2023 edition of the JW Media | VIA ePostcard.
May 23, 2023Attorney News
First Amendment litigation partner Nancy Hamilton was recently presented with the Denis B. Kemball-Cook Award from her alma mater, Skidmore College, in honor of her long-time support and involvement as Chair of the Board of Trustees.
November 17, 2022Newsletters
View Jackson Walker’s November 2022 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
October 4, 2022Newsletters
View the October 2022 edition of the JW Media | VIA ePostcard.
August 25, 2022Client Results
Chip Babcock, Nancy Hamilton, and Joel Glover obtained dismissal of a case brought against Dr. Phil McGraw, Peteski Productions, Inc., and CBS Media Ventures by a former guest of Dr. Phil.
August 18, 2022Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 214 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2023 Edition, Including 11 “Lawyers of the Year” and 41 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 214 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 79 specialty practice areas in its 2023 edition, including 11 Lawyers of the Year and 41 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
October 29, 2021Newsletters
View the October 2021 edition of the JW Media | VIA ePostcard.
October 13, 2021Client Results
Chip Babcock, Nancy Hamilton, and Joel Glover successfully represented Dr. Phil McGraw, CBS Studios, and Peteski Productions, Inc. in a case brought by a guest on Dr. Phil who claimed she had been made to look foolish and, as a result, suffered extreme emotional distress.
- First Amendment Litigation
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Complex Commercial Litigation
- Media Litigation