The insurance industry is one of the most regulated business sectors in the country. Our long experience with the insurance industry allows us to help our clients navigate the relevant statutes, insurance department rules, and common law standards that can present challenges for insurers, brokers, and policyholders. Under the leadership of one of the founding partners of the Austin office, Fred Werkenthin, an Assistant Attorney General for the State of Texas and Division Chief for the Securities and Corporate section, the firm developed one of the state’s most prestigious insurance law practices, representing many large insurance companies before the Texas Department of Insurance and the Comptroller for the State of Texas. Today, our insurance clients vary from the largest writers of personal and commercial lines across the country, to individual agency owners, to policyholders seeking guidance.
We work with insurers, reinsurers, policyholders, agents, and brokers and offer an integrated approach to the legal needs of clients in the insurance industry. We assist our clients not only with the resolution of claims but with the full range of services necessary to achieve their business goals. Our insurance practice includes attorneys from a broad cross-section of the firm’s practice groups, including our litigation, bankruptcy, healthcare, transactional (corporate, real estate, finance, and tax), labor & employment, and intellectual property groups to serve all of the needs our clients may have – whether litigation, transactional, or regulatory. We pride ourselves on the breadth of professional experience our attorneys bring to the table, which allows Jackson Walker to provide helpful insight into the matters in which we represent clients. Members of our team include former engineers, reporters, educators, pharmacists, commercial and military pilots, and members of the petroleum industry.
Through the years we have assisted our clients with matters in a wide variety of subjects. Below are just a few examples.
- Class action defense relating to claims handling practices (homeowners, private passenger automobile, commercial)
- Bad faith, unfair claims practices, and deceptive trade practices claims
- Policy interpretation and coverage disputes
- Investigating and evaluating claims pre-suit
- Pollution policy coverage and claims (e.g. toxic tort)
- Policyholder representation, including injury and death claims
- Bankruptcy claims and adversary proceedings
- Fiduciary breach claims
- Life, health, and disability claims
- Advice relating to health benefit policies and Third Party Administration Agreements, stop-loss insurance, and wellness programs
Regulatory & Legislative
- Texas Department of Insurance investigations and administrative matters
- Broker and agent licensing
- Texas Department of Insurance supervisory orders and receiverships
- Civil Investigative Demands from the Texas Attorney General
- Transactions with affiliates
- Statutory and regulatory reporting compliance
- Texas premium tax and retaliatory audits
- Formation of domestic and off-shore insurance companies including formation of captive insurance companies and agency affiliates
- Sales of insurance companies, insurance brokerages, managing general agencies and agencies (both buy and sell side)
- Advice on insurance coverage in connection with company formation, mergers and acquisitions, and similar transactions
- Commercial and real estate finance transactions
- Opinion letters
Labor and Employment
- Employment Practices Liability Insurance (EPLI) claims
- Claims brought by or against employees and/or agents of insurers
November 4, 2021
Jackson Walker proudly announces the Firm’s inclusion in the 2022 edition of the U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” list. Rankings are based on client feedback on several criteria, including its practice groups, responsiveness, understanding of each client’s business, cost-efficiency, civility, and whether they would refer another client to the Firm. The selection process also includes the collection of peer evaluations and a final review by leading attorneys in each field.
August 19, 2021
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 178 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2022 Edition, Including 8 “Lawyers of the Year” and 31 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 178 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 67 specialty practice areas in its 2022 edition, including 8 Lawyers of the Year and 31 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
February 24, 2021
As your business begins to think about next steps following the winter storm, Jackson Walker has put together a list of some FAQs that may assist you with potential property insurance claims.
February 24, 2021
As Texas businesses deal with property damages following the winter storm, Jackson Walker insurance litigation partner Chris Thompson discusses what business owners should consider when beginning the process of filing insurance claims to help cover the cost of repairs.
November 6, 2020
Jackson Walker Named One of Three Firms Headquartered in Texas to Earn Over 25 National and 100 Regional “Best Law Firms” Rankings
This year, Jackson Walker saw notable improvements in the national rankings, with the private funds/hedge funds practice advancing to Tier 2, and the addition of the appellate practice to the national rankings roster.
September 1, 2020
Following the Delaware Chancery ruling stemming from Cigna and Anthem’s broken $54 billion merger, corporate partner Byron Egan told Law360, “There’s a really important human factor in all these transactions.”
August 20, 2020
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 164 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2021 Edition, Including 9 “Lawyers of the Year” and 25 “Ones to Watch”
Jackson Walker congratulates the 164 attorneys who were selected by their peers as Best Lawyers, including 9 Lawyers of the Year and 25 Ones to Watch, across 6 offices and 66 specialty practice areas.
April 20, 2020
Jackson Walker Healthcare Chair Virginia Mimmack discusses the updates in policies on the federal and state level allowing telemedicine practices to expand and the effects on doctors, hospitals, insurance coverage, and state and federal regulations.
March 20, 2020
Telehealth: A Powerful Tool in Fighting COVID-19 Emergency-Driven Waivers and Payment Parity Requirements
In response to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) national public health emergency, government agencies have taken steps to temporarily relax certain regulatory requirements regarding telemedicine technology and insurance coverage.
March 18, 2020
Greta Cowart discusses the acts related to employee benefits, amendments to other federal laws, and the tools provided to individuals and employers to help ride out the impact of the Coronavirus outbreak.