Christopher A. Thompson
Chris Thompson is an insurance lawyer. He has litigated and counseled clients facing insurance disputes from coverage matters to bad faith cases to class actions, as well as claims coverage issues involving commercial general and excess liability, claims made under workers compensation, director and officer liability, residential and commercial property, and auto liability policies. Chris’ practice has involved common types of insurance — as well as many less common types of coverage (aviation, marine, credit/life/disability, and many more).
Speaking “insurance” is a skill Chris has developed over his 20-year legal practice, as well as his pre-law school career as an insurance adjuster. This experience helps his clients obtain favorable results in complex insurance matters ranging from single policyholder-insurer disputes, to industry-wide litigation, to class actions.
B.A., cum laude, Austin College
J.D., magna cum laude, University of Houston Law Center
United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
United States District Court for the Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western Districts of Texas
- Liberty Mutual Company v. Servisair, L.L.C., 16-20472 (5th Cir. June 27, 2017) – Successful prosecution and appellate affirmance of $3.6 million judgment in premium litigation involving large nationwide employer.
- Wooten v. Safeco Insurance Company, 15 AC-CC225 (Cir. Ct. Missouri 2015) – Dismissal of putative class action involving labor depreciation.
- Colonial County Mut. Ins. Co. v. Marston, et al., Cause No. 219-01145-2013 (219th District Court, Collin County, Texas 2014) – Summary judgment based on “other insurance” clause in auto policy.
- Lowe v. Liberty Mutual Insurance Company, (W.D. Ark. 2014) – Dismissal of putative class action involving labor depreciation.
- AIG v. ACE INA Holdings, (N.D. Ill. 2011) – Dismissal of claims against insurer in major industry-wide litigation relating to national worker’s compensation risk pool.
- Responded to dozens of demand letters for credit/life/disability insurer and avoided litigation maintaining no-coverage positions on claims.
- Best Lawyers in Dallas, D Magazine, 2018
Landing and Handling Insurance Defense Cases, Oklahoma County Bar Association 38th Annual Winter Seminar, February 2017
- Healing Hands Ministries
- Chair-Elect, 2017
- Secretary, 2015-2016
- Board Member, 2013–present
- Texas Bar Foundation, Life Fellow, 2008–present
- Dallas Bar Foundation, Life Fellow, 2008–present
- Leadership Dallas, 2006–2007
- Dallas Arts District Alliance, Chair of the Board and Programs Chair, 2004–2009
- Leadership Arts – Class Project Steering Committee, Chair, 2003–2004
- First party and liability claims
- Insurance coverage disputes
- Insurance claims practices litigation
- Class actions
- Premium collection matters