Denise Rose has been working in and around the Texas Capitol for over a decade. She is extremely well-versed in the legislative and appropriations processes, and has cultivated relationships throughout the Texas Capitol and in state agencies. Denise provides effective strategic counsel to clients on a wide variety of issues, including but not limited to Medicaid and hospital finance, special utility districts, occupational licensing, health care quality, and agency rulemaking processes and requests for proposals. Denise is adept in the legislative drafting process. She represents non-profit organizations, nationally ranked hospitals, and Fortune 500 companies at the Capitol.
Prior to joining Jackson Walker, Denise served as Assistant Vice President for Legislative Affairs at the Texas A&M Health Science Center, where her work was primarily focused on the Health Science Center’s budget needs for the state’s healthcare workforce. Prior to the A&M Health Science Center, Denise served as the Senior Director of Government Relations at the Texas Hospital Association. She has years of experience tracking and analyzing legislation specific to hospitals and health-related institutions, and she has also drafted legislation, amendments, and expert witness testimony on various topics, as well as legislative appropriations requests and budget riders.
Previously, Denise served as the Government Relations Liaison for Texas Children’s Hospital and as a policy analyst at the Sunset Advisory Commission. She began her career at the Capitol as a Health Law Legislative Fellow for State Representative Vicki Truitt.
B.S., University of Oklahoma
J.D., University of Houston Law Center
- State Budget Issues, including Hospital Finance, Medicaid and CHIP, and Higher Education Funding
- Healthcare Quality Initiatives
- Healthcare Workforce Issues
- Public Health Policy
- Sunset Commission Reviews
- Special Utility Districts
- Environmental quality issues
- Legislative drafting
- Rising Star, “Capitol Inside” Lobby Power Rankings, 2019
Panelist for the “Capitol Insiders Discuss State Policy” Panel, Texas State Reform Health Policy Conference, 2018
- Leadership Texas Class of 2020
- Children’s Advocacy Centers of Texas
- Board of Directors
- Women of Courage Member
- Texans Care For Children
- Board Member
- GirlForward Texas Chapter, Founding Board Member, 2015-2016
- Wine and Food Foundation of Texas, Membership Committee
- Dress for Success Austin, Advisory Committee
- Mobile Loaves and Fishes, Volunteer
- GENAustin, Volunteer
- Texas Association of Business’ State PAC (BACPAC), Board Member, 2018
- Assisted multiple hospital systems in recouping over $3 million in Medicaid payments.
- Successfully assisted a special utility district in passing legislation allowing them to dissolve.
- Helped pass legislation creating local provider participation funds, which give hospitals the ability to access additional federal funds for indigent healthcare. Passage of this legislation could result in $16 million in additional funding for hospitals in Dallas, San Angelo, Cedar Park, and Lufkin.
- Helped secure the largest funding increase in history for Family Violence program services
- Succeeded in obtaining the first significant rate increase for Meals on Wheels providers since 1993
- Helped pass legislation requiring all Texas Medicaid managed care plans to be accredited
- Assisted in the passage of legislation creating an independent medical review process for Texas Medicaid managed care denials and appeals
- Secured funding for Mobile STEM labs in areas of the state impacted by natural disasters