Jennifer F. Wertz
Jennifer F. Wertz is an attorney in the bankruptcy section at Jackson Walker, where she represents financial institutions, equipment lenders, healthcare service providers, agricultural lenders, and other creditors in bankruptcy proceedings, including pursuing claims, negotiating treatment of claims by the debtor, and successfully preventing confirmation of a bankruptcy plan.
In addition to her experience representing creditors in bankruptcy proceedings, Jennifer also represents entities in complex corporate reorganization and fiduciary litigation, with a focus on workouts and reorganization. Jennifer has extensive experience in telecommunication-related bankruptcy matters, where she recently successfully represented a Liquidating Trustee in over 100 adversary proceedings, including avoidance and collection actions, resulting in meaningful recoveries for the estate. Prior to joining Jackson Walker, Jennifer served as a law clerk to the Honorable H. Christopher Mott, U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Western District of Texas.
B.A., University of Texas at Austin
J.D., magna cum laude, Texas Tech University School of Law
- Texas Tech Law Review, Articles Editor
- Board of Barristers, Associate Member
- Civil Practice Clinic, Student Attorney
- Judicial Intern to Judge Bohm, U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of Texas
United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
United States Bankruptcy Court for the Northern, Southern, Eastern, and Western Districts of Texas
United States District Court for the Northern, Southern, Eastern, and Western Districts of Texas
- Representation of an oil and gas company in bankruptcy proceedings appealed to the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals, resulting in the affirmed dismissal of a post-confirmation attempt by the State of Oklahoma to obtain the right to nearly $1,000,000 in unclaimed royalty payments.
- Jennifer has particular experience in complex Chapter 11 reorganizations, including in the telecommunications and healthcare industries, and has represented both debtors and trustees.
- Represented nonprofit children’s hospital in litigious Chapter 11 proceedings, resulting in confirmation of a plan within approximately seven months of a Chapter 11 filing, featuring payment in full of general unsecured creditors.
- Represented telecommunications client in federal court against allegations of trespass, conversion, and tortious interference. Following discovery and pretrial pleadings, obtained a favorable settlement on all counts.
- Represented multiple trade creditors in bankruptcy of an oil and gas operator in numerous preference actions attempting to claw back over $1 million. Following discovery, obtained a favorable settlement.
- Represented a media company and related defendants in an adversary proceeding before the Bankruptcy Court against allegations of fraud and breach of contract. Drafted a motion for summary judgment resulting in dismissal of all claims against all clients at the onset of litigation.
- Represented a title company in an adversary proceeding before the Bankruptcy Court against allegations of fraud, deceptive trade, and other counts. Drafted a motion to dismiss resulting in dismissal of all claims against the client with prejudice prior to discovery being conducted.
- “Major Decision in Energy-Related Bankruptcies: Colorado Court in Monarch Midstream Case Departs from Sabine Oil and Finds Gathering Agreement Established a Covenant Running with the Land,” Jackson Walker Bankruptcy e-Alert (October 2019)
- “Considerations and Consequences of a Bankruptcy Filing in the Oil and Gas Industry,” Jackson Walker Energy e-Alert (May 2015)
- “To Caesar, Only What Is Due – An Opportunity under § 505(a)(2)(C) for Ad Valorem Taxes?,” American Bankruptcy Institute Journal (September 2014)
- Bankruptcy & Litigation, Select Issues, Austin Bar Association-Bankruptcy Section (April 7, 2017)
- Texas Bankruptcy Laws and Obligations Webinar, Lorman (2017)
- Texas Women Lawyers, Board Member
- Austin Bar Association – Bankruptcy Section
- President, 2019
- Council Member, 2018
- Larry E. Kelly Inn of Court
- Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) of Travis County
- American Bankruptcy Institute