Jorge A. Padilla
Jorge is a partner in Jackson Walker’s trial section. He has extensive experience litigating business disputes for a variety of clients including trustees, executors, tech companies, property managers, real estate investors and developers, healthcare providers, pension funds, and media companies. Although his practice is focused in Austin, Texas, Jorge has advocated for his clients in state and federal courts throughout Texas.
Jorge also has extensive experience in the areas of probate and fiduciary litigation involving will contests, trustees, executors, and other trustees. He has also represented individuals and business entities in partnership disputes and matters involving fiduciary litigation.
Jorge takes pride in the fact that clients trust him with their legal issues. He works efficiently to address their problems and identify practical legal strategies to help them reach their goals. Sometimes disputes can be resolved out of court, which can be faster and cost-effective. Other times, however, a lawsuit is necessary to address a client’s dispute. Jorge has the trial court experience to take his client’s case all the way through trial, navigating the various obstacles encountered along the way.
B.J., University of Texas at Austin
J.D., University of Texas School of Law
United States District Courts for the Southern and Western Districts of Texas
- Obtained dismissal of claims with prejudice for healthcare provider and successfully defended ruling before Court of Appeals and Supreme Court of Texas: Morrison v. Whispering Pines Lodge I, L.L.P., 428 S.W.3d 327, 329 (Tex. App.—Texarkana 2014, pet. denied).
- Successfully appealed and overturned trial court’s denial of motion to compel arbitration: Specialty Select Care Ctr. of San Antonio, LLC v. Flores, No. 04-13-00888-CV, 2015 Tex. App. LEXIS 9345, 2015 WL 5157034 (Tex. App.—San Antonio Sept. 2, 2015, no pet. h.).
- Successfully overturned trial court’s denial of motion to compel arbitration: Villas of Mount Pleasant, LLC v. King, 454 S.W.3d 689 (Tex. App.—Texarkana 2014, no pet.).
- Defended Trustee in lawsuit filed by beneficiaries of Trust and negotiated settlement that allowed Trustee to maintain possession of nearly 7,000-acre ranch in dispute.
- Represented minority shareholder in breach of fiduciary claim against majority owners and obtained favorable settlement for client.
- Brought fiduciary duty and derivative lawsuit on behalf of co-owner of physician’s practice and negotiated settlement that included division and distribution of assets of practice.
- Tried lawsuit to jury verdict in federal court case involving breach of fiduciary duty and misappropriation of property claims arising from partnership dispute.
- Leadership Austin Essential Class, 2018
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity, Fellows Program, 2018
- Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Austin Young Lawyers Association
- President-Elect, 2017-2018
- Treasurer, 2016-2017
- Secretary, 2015-2016
- Silicon Labs Sunshine Run, Co-Race Director, 2016-2017
- Austin Sunshine Camps, Secretary, 2015
- ABA/AYLA Leadership Academy, 2012
- Texas Young Lawyers Association
- University of Texas School of Law 1L Mentor, 2016-2018
- Austin Bar Association
- Board Executive Committee Member, 2017-2019
- Mentor Program Chair, 2017
- Diocese of Austin Red Mass Committee, Chair, 2018
- Fiduciary Litigation
- Probate Litigation
- Trust Litigation
- Business Disputes
- Media Litigation