Joshua A. Romero
Josh is a trial lawyer. He began his career with a judicial clerkship at the Texas Supreme Court and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit. Over the past 18 years, he has represented both plaintiffs and defendants in high-stakes cases across the country in complex commercial litigation, bad-faith insurance claims, trade-secret cases, whistleblower and qui tam cases, and First Amendment litigation. Josh has successfully tried cases to juries ranging from multimillion-dollar corporate disputes and fraud cases to commercial construction cases. In prior years, he assisted his clients in obtaining the largest settlement in Texas, and the fourth-largest settlement in the United States, as featured in the The National Law Journal.
Josh has received the highest rating, AV Preeminent, from Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings. He has been recognized by Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business and featured in The Best Lawyers in America publication. Lawdragon has also named Josh as one of the “500 Leading Litigators in America.” In addition, Josh has been named “Texas’ Top Rated Lawyers” by ALM Legal Publishing and recognized as a “Super Lawyer” by Thomson Reuters. Josh has also consistently been named a “Top Attorney” in Austin by Austin Monthly Magazine. He was appointed to the Texas Supreme Court Rules Committee by the State Bar of Texas to advise the Court on the rules governing trial practice and the Texas Rules of Civil Procedure. While he is honored by these awards and recognitions, the results he has obtained for his clients, as set forth below, are far more important.
As a member of the firm’s appellate section, clients have entrusted Josh to handle appeals in a wide spectrum of cases, including complex commercial disputes, contract disputes, class actions, and business torts. He has presented oral argument numerous times at the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit. Over the past decade, Josh has handled appeals in the U.S. Supreme Court, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, the Texas Supreme Court, and appellate courts across Texas.
B.S., cum laude, Stephen F. Austin State University
J.D., cum laude, Northwestern Pritzker School of Law
United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth and Fifth Circuits
United States District Court for the Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western Districts of Texas
- $23,550,000.00 recovery against hospital in qui tam/False Claims Act case in federal court.
- $9,500,000.00 recovery for corporate client in bad-faith insurance claim in federal court.
- $9,354,892.00 jury verdict and final judgment (no appeal) in complex financial fraud case.
- $8,000,000.00 recovery for three physician clients in complex litigation with hospital in federal court.
- $6,500,000.00 recovery obtained against a national armored vehicle company. This recovery was many times more than the defendant’s pre-trial offer and was obtained on day five of a seven-day jury trial in Houston.
- $1,100,000.00 recovery for corporate client in breach-of-contract case in arbitration.
- Obtained confidential seven-figure settlement on behalf of client in securities fraud case.
- Secured confidential six-figure settlement for corporate client in data breach case against computer security firm.
- Obtained dismissal of Fortune 50 company from federal lawsuit involving development of a large data center, which was upheld on appeal at the Fifth Circuit.
- Obtained complete dismissal of qui tam/False Claims Act case for corporate client in federal court.
- Won complete defense verdict for corporate client in high-stakes Deceptive Trade Practices Act case in arbitration.
- Obtained dismissal of all claims against corporate client in wrongful termination suit in federal court.
- Obtained dismissal of numerous lawsuits under the Anti-SLAPP statute and obtained awards of attorneys’ fees and sanctions in clients’ favor.
- Obtained complete dismissal of claims against the renowned photographer behind Nirvana’s iconic “Nevermind” album cover that accused the defendants of commercializing child pornography.
- Rockett Special Utility Dist. v. Alamo Mission, 858 F. App’x 160 (5th Cir. 2021) (obtain affirmance of district court’s dismissal of Google entity).
- Equity Trust Co. v. Hampton, 2020 Tex. App. LEXIS 5674 (Tex. App.—Austin July 23, 2020, pet. denied) (obtained complete reversal and render of adverse jury verdict).
- Chavez v. Plan Benefit Services, Inc., 957 F.3d 542 (5th Cir. 2020) (obtained reversal of certification of nationwide class action).
- Title Source, Inc v. HouseCanary, Inc., 2019 Tex. App. LEXIS 5768 (Tex. App.—San Antonio July 10, 2019, no pet. h.) (obtained sealed records for media client, the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press).
- Warner Bros. Entm’t, Inc. v. Jones, 538 S.W.3d 781 (Tex. App.—Austin 2017, pet. granted) (obtained dismissal of claims against Warner Bros. and TMZ under Anti-SLAPP law).
- United States ex rel. Parikh, M.D. v. Citizens Med. Ctr., 2014 WL 4854217 (5th Cir. Oct. 1, 2014) (obtained affirmance of district court’s denial of defendants’ motion to dismiss in qui tam/False Claim Act litigation).
- Westminster Falcon/Trinity, LLP v. Shin, 2012 WL 5231851 (Tex. App.—Amarillo Oct. 23, 2012) (obtained reversal of verdict against client in construction dispute and obtained take-nothing judgment in favor of defendant-client).
- Citizens Med. Ctr. v. Gaalla, 460 F. App’x. 469 (5th Cir. Feb. 16, 2012) (obtained affirmance on interlocutory appeal of denial of defendants’ motions for summary judgment based on governmental immunity).
- Util. Comm’n of Tex. v. Constellation Energy Commodities Group, Inc., 351 S.W.3d 588 (Tex. App.—Austin 2011, pet. denied) (obtained reversal of PUC ruling against client).
- Las Palmas Med. Ctr. v. Moore, 349 S.W.3d 57 (Tex. App.—El Paso 2010, pet. denied) (appellate court affirmed seven figure arbitration award for hospital client).
- New Wave Dist. Co. v. LSKR, Inc., 2007 WL 178465 (Tex. App.—Austin Jan. 24, 2007) (obtained expedited reversal of temporary injunction imposing restrictions on corporate client’s business).
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business
- Up and Coming in Litigation: General Commercial – Texas: Austin & Surrounds, 2021-2023
- The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White Inc.), Appellate Practice, 2023
- Texas Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2022
- “Top Attorneys in Austin” in the Civil Litigation category, Austin Monthly Magazine, 2019-2022
- Lawdragon 500 Leading Litigators in America, 2022
- “Texas’ Top Rated Lawyers,” ALM, 2014-2022
- Texas Bar Foundation Fellow, 2018
- Texas Rising Star, Super Lawyers – Rising Stars by Thomson Reuters, 2013-2019
- AV Preeminent, Martindale-Hubbell
- 2015 Big Money Wins – Top 50 Settlements of 2015, The National Law Journal, 2015
- State Bar of Texas Court Rules Committee
- Hispanic Bar Association of Austin, 2023 Board of Directors – Vice President and President-Elect
- American Bar Association
- Texas Bar Association
- Austin Bar Association
- Austin Young Lawyers Association
- Texas Bar College
- Northwestern University – Alumni Club of Austin, Past President
- Northwestern University – Young Wigmore Club
- Northwestern University – School of Law, Volunteer Admissions Interviewer
- Open Door Preschools, Board Member
June 1, 2023Spotlight
Chambers and Partners Recognizes Jackson Walker Attorneys and Practices in 2023 USA and Global Guides
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce that Chambers and Partners has selected 50 attorneys and 17 departments for inclusion in the 2023 edition of the Global and USA guides. Attorneys recognized in the guides were ranked in 19 practice areas, with 4 attorneys listed among multiple areas and 6 named among the top attorneys nationwide in their respective areas.
May 3, 2023Newsletters
JW Media | VIA ePostcard – May 2023
View the May 2023 edition of the JW Media | VIA ePostcard.
April 24, 2023Newsletters
JW Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter – April 2023
View Jackson Walker’s April 2023 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
March 20, 2023Client Results
Texas Appeals Court Denies Motion to Seal Evidence, Allowing Media to Retain Access to Exhibits From Trade Secret Dispute
In a longstanding dispute over a fundamental First Amendment right to access public records, the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press and the Houston Forward Times have prevailed for a third time. On March 15, 2023, the San Antonio Court of Appeals reversed a trial court’s order and rendered judgment denying an amended motion to seal 14 trial exhibits in the case of Title Source, Inc. v. HouseCanary, Inc.
February 20, 2023Attorney News
Josh Romero Elected President-Elect of the Hispanic Bar Association of Austin
Josh Romero was sworn in by Justice Gisela Triana as President-Elect of the Hispanic Bar Association of Austin (HBAA). As a member of the 2023 Board of Directors, Josh’s goal for the term will be to increase membership and awareness of HBAA within the community.
February 16, 2023Attorney News
Suzan Kedron and Brad Lowry Named Practice Leaders, and Josh Romero Elevated to Committee Chair
Jackson Walker announces the appointments of Suzan Kedron and Brad Lowry as firmwide chairs of the Land Use and Real Estate practices, respectively. In addition, Joshua Romero has been appointed Chair of the Paralegal Committee, which oversees the work of paralegals at the firm.
November 17, 2022Newsletters
JW Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter – November 2022
View Jackson Walker’s November 2022 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
October 25, 2022Attorney News
‘Austin Monthly’ Lists 14 Jackson Walker Attorneys Among “Austin’s Top Attorneys” of 2022
Jackson Walker congratulates the 14 attorneys recognized among Austin Monthly’s list of “Austin’s Top Attorneys” for 2022. For recognition in the list, Austin attorneys must be nominated by their peers on the basis that they offer experienced counsel in one of 38 categories.
October 7, 2022Attorney News
Jackson Walker Congratulates 36 Attorneys Named Among the Lawdragon 500 Leading Litigators in America
Jackson Walker announces the selection of 36 attorneys to Lawdragon’s inaugural list of the 500 leading litigators in America.
October 4, 2022Newsletters
JW Media | VIA ePostcard – October 2022
View the October 2022 edition of the JW Media | VIA ePostcard.
- “Lawsuit against Austin photographer of Nirvana’s ‘Nevermind’ album dismissed,” Fox 7 Austin (September 2022)
- “Austin lawyers with Jackson Walker win Nirvana ‘Nevermind’ album cover lawsuit,” Austin Business Journal (September 2022)
- “Judge dismisses lawsuit over Nirvana’s ‘Nevermind’ cover,” Austin American-Statesman (September 2022)
- “‘Nirvana Baby,’ All Grown Up, Waited Too Long To Sue,” Law360 (September 2022)