Marisela Peña Gonzalez
Marisela Peña Gonzalez is a practical business and transactional lawyer with extensive experience in successfully guiding clients through complex joint ventures, mergers, acquisitions and dispositions, capital raising transactions, and general business concerns. Marisela provides clients with quality legal representation in an efficient manner, using her years of experience to help clients anticipate the unexpected, which saves clients valuable time and unnecessary expenses. Having worked in house, Marisela understands the need for practical risk mitigation advice that allows her clients to achieve their business objectives.
Marisela has worked with privately-held businesses and emerging companies in a broad range of industries including, real estate, manufacturing, midstream energy, oilfield services, healthcare and technology. In her joint venture practice, Marisela has negotiated transaction documents for billions of dollars in development projects, including office, multifamily, industrial, single-family, and energy infrastructure projects. With her experience representing both sponsors and investors, Marisela understands the concerns of the various players and is able to help negotiate compromises to get the deal done. In her M&A practice, she’s represented both buyers and sellers across various industries and has the experience to lead a successful transaction from start to finish.
As a first-generation lawyer and college graduate, the principals of diversity, equity and inclusion are very important to Marisela. She is actively involved in the recruitment, retention and mentoring of diverse attorneys. She also values the opportunity to use her Spanish language skills to assist Spanish-speaking clients in various business matters.
B.A., University of Texas at Austin
J.D., cum laude, University of Houston Law Center
- The Order of the Barons
- Order of the Coif
- President, Hispanic Law Students Association
- Notes and Comments Editor, Houston Law Review
Texas Public Policy and Candidate Training Program
- Represented developers in joint ventures to develop real estate projects, including Class A, luxury multifamily projects, senior living and active adult residential projects, office towers, mixed use and industrial and distribution projects.
- Represented operators in joint ventures to acquire and operate real estate projects, including office towers, multifamily, senior living and mixed-use projects.
- Represented investors in joint ventures to develop luxury multifamily residential developments, mixed use projects, industrial projects, student housing and office projects.
- Represented developer and operator in joint venture to recapitalize office complex.
- Represented operator in joint venture to develop and operate a refrigeration unit and cryogenic processing plant and related pipeline interconnects.
- Represented operator in joint venture to develop and operate crude oil pipeline.
- Represented joint venture to develop and operate a tank storage facility.
- Represented operator in multiple joint ventures to develop and operate gas gathering and processing systems.
- Represented operator in joint venture to develop a freshwater pipeline system and saltwater disposal facility.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Represented manufacturing company in stock sale to foreign acquirer, including a complete reorganization of acquired companies prior to closing.
- Represented oilfield services company in multiple asset purchase transactions to purchase technology and other assets from competitors.
- Represented midstream energy company in multiple purchases of midstream assets.
- Represented a strategic buyer in multiple asset and stock purchases of targets engaged upfitting and manufacturing truck and truck accessories.
- Represented seller in the sale of behavioral health facilities to a private equity buyer. Marisela assisted with the formation and organization of the target, including the private placement to founding investors.
- Represented seller in sale of partnership holding multiple single-family residences.
- Represented issuer in connection with $70 million public offering of common stock.
- Represented issuer in connection with $225 million public offering of common stock and a simultaneous private offering of a new series of preferred stock.
- Represented issuer in connection with private offering of $1.5 billion of high yield notes and simultaneous closing of $100 million revolver facility, and a subsequent exchange offer of the private notes for registered notes.
- Represented issuer in connection with $125 million public offering of a new series of preferred stock.
- “Rising Star,” Super Lawyers – Rising Stars by Thomson Reuters, 2016-2020
- “Top 25 Business Women,” National Women’s Council, 2014
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- Arte Público Press Advisory Board, Chair from 2019 – 2021
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity, Fellows Program, 2019
- University of Houston Law Center Pre-Law Pipeline Program mentor
- Hispanic Bar Association of Houston; participant as mentor in HisBA mentorship program
August 24, 2023Newsletters
View Jackson Walker’s August 2023 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
November 17, 2022Newsletters
View Jackson Walker’s November 2022 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
October 12, 2022Podcasts
JW Fast Takes Podcast | ~8 minutes
At Jackson Walker, we are extremely proud of our Hispanic attorneys and allied professionals. As we celebrate National Hispanic Heritage Month through October 15, Marisela Peña Gonzalez and Javier Gonzalez joined the Fast Takes podcast to share their stories.
April 21, 2022Newsletters
View Jackson Walker’s April 2022 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
March 9, 2022Attorney News
At the National Women’s Conference held on March 29-31, 2022, Marisela Peña Gonzalez will be honored with a Top Emerging Leader Award, which recognizes recipients for their peer leadership, executive leadership potential, and for demonstrating “values of courage, inclusiveness, innovation, faithfulness, persistence, and humility.”
February 11, 2022Attorney News
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce the election of 14 attorneys to the Firm’s partnership on Friday, February 11, 2022. In addition to electing 14 new partners, the Firm also congratulates Bart Cicuto, Noah Speck, and Austin Thomas on their promotion from associates to senior counsel.
March 8, 2021Client Results
Marisela Gonzalez and Virginia Mimmack led a Jackson Walker team advising Kamada Ltd. in its acquisition of Blood and Plasma Research, Inc. With the acquisition, Kamada enters the U.S. plasma collection market and advances its strategic goal to become a fully integrated specialty plasma company.
June 30, 2020Newsletters
Explore the accomplishments of our diverse attorneys and their involvement within our communities during the first half of 2020.
March 10, 2020Attorney News
Spanning five offices, six major practice areas, and experience ranging from six to 15 years, these 30 up-and-coming attorneys were selected based on peer recognition and professional achievement.
March 6, 2019Attorney News
Jackson Walker is excited to congratulate our 34 attorneys who were named to Thomson Reuters’ 2019 “Super Lawyers – Rising Stars” list.
- Joint Ventures
- Mergers, Acquisitions, and Dispositions