With nearly 20 years of experience, Wasif Qureshi has represented and counseled businesses from start-ups to Fortune 100 and other worldwide companies in various types of IP legal matters. His clients, which include premier companies in their respective industries, count on Wasif to navigate through complicated IP issues and obtain successful results. Wasif is particularly experienced in patent litigation, a practice in which he is recognized as a preeminent practitioner at both the state and national levels. For example, Managing Intellectual Property describes Wasif as a “[skilled] patent litigator” and selected him to be on its “Outstanding IP Litigator” Shortlist, a recognition received by less than 100 of the top IP litigators in the country and less than 10 in Texas.
Companies who have worked with Wasif recognize the expertise and effectiveness he brings to solving their issues:
“My company relies on our IP to give us an edge in the market. Wasif is an invaluable partner to my team in protecting that IP. He combines his legal expertise with a thorough understanding of what makes us successful – he ensures our legal decisions are not only sound but also for the best of our business.”
– Dr. J. Bryan Vincent, Managing Partner, Principal Lighting Group
“In an increasingly competitive legal market, I am looking at my patent counsel to have precise technical competencies, an extremely strategic approach and superior client service. Wasif is the epitome of all three, something I have found to be extremely rare in the legal marketplace these days.”
– Tracey Beaudoin, former General Counsel, Packers Plus Energy Services
“Wasif is creative, passionate, and an excellent partner to General Counsels looking to get off the beaten litigation path and add more strategic thinking and execution on their important matters. Wasif provides that partnership at great value and without the red tape that comes with most big firms. I cannot recommend him highly enough.”
– Danielle Sheer, former General Counsel, Carbonite Inc.
“All I can say is that if you ever end up on the wrong end of a patent infringement situation, THIS is your guy. Wasif served our company with integrity, resolved our issue and was very budget conscious. Hopefully, you won’t need his services very often, but when you do, don’t try to save money. Just call this guy.”
– Charlie Alsmiller, Founder and CEO of Enspir
Wasif’s patent litigation practice includes developing creative litigation strategies, patent analysis, complex discovery, fact and witness preparation and depositions, motion practice, arguing Markman and other case hearings, and trial work. He has participated in numerous patent jury trials. Further, Wasif is experienced with patent infringement investigations before the United States International Trade Commission and has successfully argued appeals before the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
In addition to litigation, Wasif has prosecuted hundreds of patent applications and has substantial experience in IP diligence, licensing, and opinion work.
With an electrical and computer engineering background, Wasif has provided counsel across a wide range of disciplines, including integrated circuit design, telecommunications and cell phone technology, semiconductor fabrication, computer software and hardware, Internet and network communications, and website technologies. Moreover, a lifelong resident of the world’s energy capital, Wasif is familiar with and has worked on various technologies pertaining to the energy space, including oil/gas exploration and completions tools, drilling, and subsea infrastructure.
Wasif strives to consistently deliver successful results for his clients. For example, he has helped secure numerous winning summary judgment rulings, “walk-away” dismissals of his defense clients, and favorable settlements. He develops his cases to obtain the best possible results, while at the same time working to ensure focused strategy and efficiency.
Outside of patent law, Wasif has worked on various pro bono matters and served as a volunteer prosecutor at the City of Houston Municipal Court. He also regularly judges law school moot court and mock trial competitions.
B.S., Electrical & Computer Engineering, with honors, University of Houston
J.D., University of Houston Law Center
Supreme Court of the United States
United States Courts of Appeals for the Fifth, Ninth, and Federal Circuits
United States District Courts for the Northern, Southern, Eastern, and Western Districts of Texas
United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
United States District Court for the District of Colorado
United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
United States Patent and Trademark Office
- The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White Inc.)
- Litigation – Intellectual Property, 2021
- Patent Star, Managing Intellectual Property – IP Stars, 2014-2016, 2020
- Top 50 Multicultural Lawyers, National Diversity Council, 2019
- “Texas Super Lawyer,” Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2019
- “Texas Rising Star,” Super Lawyers – Rising Stars by Thomson Reuters, 2012-2018
- Global IP Star, Managing Intellectual Property, 2018
- “Top Lawyer” in Best of Houstonia, Houstonia Magazine, 2018
- Outstanding IP Litigator – Texas, Managing Intellectual Property, North America Outstanding IP Litigator Awards Shortlist, 2016
- “Protect Against Patent Suits Before You Buy,” Mondaq, May 2017
- “Supplier Agreements Should Include Patent Litigation Protection,” Today’s General Counsel, February/March 2017
- Speaker, “Lost Profits Damages After WesternGeco”, State Bar of Texas 15th Annual Advanced Patent Litigation CLE (July 18, 2019)
- Panelist, “Building and Managing Effective Teams”, 15th Annual National Diversity and Leadership Conference (April 11, 2019)
- Houston Intellectual Property Law Association, Membership Committee Chair
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity
- 2014 Fellow
- Law School Mentoring Program, Houston City Chair
- 2016-2017 LCLD Fellows Alumni Executive Council