Gerald Scott Webberman
Jerry Webberman has over 30 years of experience in a wide variety of real estate and financial matters, including the leasing and management of retail, office and industrial projects; the purchase and sale of undeveloped land, developed lots and improved income producing properties (multi-family, retail, office and mixed-use), development of both residential subdivisions and commercial projects, and the formation of business entities. He has also represented lenders and borrowers in real estate financing matters, including permanent and construction loans; the sale, purchase and financing of commercial mortgage loan portfolios, foreclosures, loan workouts and restructuring.
Jerry’s practice includes an emphasis on energy project development and finance, and he has represented energy developers, lenders, and investors in numerous projects, including over 20,000 MWs of wind and solar energy generation and over 6,500 MWs of natural gas-fired plants. He regularly represents clients in connection with project acquisition and finance due diligence; opinion letters; drafting and negotiation of agreements relating to site acquisition and control (e.g., wind leases, transmission easements, access easements, crossing agreements mineral accommodation agreements; subordination agreements, estoppels and consents); permitting issues, including endangered species and environmental matters; analysis and resolution of title and survey issues; tax abatement agreements; and related financing issues.
Jerry is also considered one of the foremost land conservation attorneys in Texas. With over 25 years of experience advising private landowners, land trusts and governmental entities on conservation issues, he has gained a deep understanding of and appreciation for the complex and sensitive issues involved in balancing land use, including development, with conservation and protection of natural resources. He is particularly experienced in structuring complex multi-party transactions and negotiating and drafting conservation easements, as well as handling open space, endangered species habitat, and sensitive water quality issues.
B.A., with high honors, University of Texas at Austin
J.D., University of Texas School of Law
United States District Court for the Western District of Texas
- Representation of technology company in tax equity investment in 161 MW wind energy project in Texas Panhandle.
- Representation of electricity transmission company in connection with development issues and financing of an approximately 325 mile transmission line over 11 counties in Texas.
- Representation of lender in financing a portfolio of five natural gas–fired power generating facilities.
- Representation of project owner and operator in financing of two natural gas-fired power generating facilities.
- Representation of project owner and operator in the expansion and development of a 1000 MW natural gas-fired power generator facility and acquisition of ancillary transmission line corridor.
- Representation of a developer in connection with several proposed wind energy projects, covering a total of approximately 90,000 acres, and proposed facilities capable of generating more than 700 MW of wind energy.
- Representation of a large wind-energy developer in connection with the developing, funding and leasing of a 166 MW wind energy project in Shackelford County, Texas, involving leasehold estates covering approximately 20,000 acres. This representation included due diligence, leasing, interconnection and crossing agreements, legal opinions and other documents relating to financing, corporate structuring and related documentation.
- Representation of a wind-energy developer in connection with title and survey review, leasing, interconnection agreements and other real property agreements relating to development of a wind energy project in Floyd County, Texas, covering approximately 11,000 acres of land.
- Representation of a large generator of wind power in connection with multiple projects and related operations, including assisting with and advising on lease and option agreements; substation, transmission and access easements; air rights; shared use agreements; surface use agreements; sub-easements; and other related title and environmental issues.
- Represented a landowner in a multi-party bargain sale transaction involving the negotiation of a conservation easement protecting over 1,500 acres of open space and significant water recharge features, and the sale of an additional 1,500 acres in fee to a local governmental entity for $30 million.
- Represented a land trust in the purchase and negotiation of a phased conservation easement transaction, involving easements encumbering approximately 2,300 acres and 1,300 acres, respectively, utilizing federal funding awarded by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service through a section 6 HCP grant.
- Represented a local government agency and national land trust in its acquisition of over 15,000 acres of fee interests and 10 conservation easements at a cost of over $65 million.
- Represented a national land trust in the donation of a conservation easement of over 4,600 acres, protecting open space and endangered species.
- The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White Inc.), Real Estate Law, 2013-2023
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2014-2019
- Recognized Practitioner in Environment – Texas
- Who’s Who in Energy, Austin Business Journal, 2013
“Overview of the Endangered Species Act,” for Austin Board of Realtors Seminar for Commercial Real Estate Practitioners
“Conservation Easements – Current Legal Issues” for Eminent Domain Seminar for Right of Way and Acquisition
“Conservation Easements – Legal Update” for the Texas Cattle Raisers Association
- The Nature Conservancy, Austin Advisory Board
- Real Estate Council of Austin
- Real Estate Council of Austin, Past Director
- Affordable Housing Task Force of the Greater Austin Chamber of Commerce
- Advisory Board of the Wild Basin Wilderness Preserve, Inc.
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas
- Travis County Bar Association – Real Estate and Corporate Sections
- College of the State of Texas
- DJCC Development Corporation
- Dell Jewish Community Campus Management Committee
- Congregation Agudas Achim, Past Director, Treasurer
- Jewish Federation Early Childhood Program, Past Treasurer
- Jewish Community Association of Austin
- Board of Directors and Executive Committee
- Finance Committee, Past Chair
August 18, 2022Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 214 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2023 Edition, Including 11 “Lawyers of the Year” and 41 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 214 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 79 specialty practice areas in its 2023 edition, including 11 Lawyers of the Year and 41 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
August 19, 2021Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 178 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2022 Edition, Including 8 “Lawyers of the Year” and 31 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 178 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 67 specialty practice areas in its 2022 edition, including 8 Lawyers of the Year and 31 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
June 8, 2021Insights
Proposed Listing of Lesser Prairie-Chicken Under Endangered Species Act and Potential Impact on Energy Projects
By Jerry Webberman, Alicia French, Jesse Lotay, & Ben Rhem
On June 1, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service published a proposed rule in the Federal Register to list the lesser prairie-chicken under the Endangered Species Act. If finalized, the species would be listed as endangered in the Southern DPS, which is located in West Texas and New Mexico and overlaps with the oil- and gas-rich Permian Basin, and threatened in the Northern DPS, located in the Texas Panhandle, Oklahoma, Kansas, and Colorado. Public hearings to gather comments on the proposal will be held on July 8 and July 14, and all public comments must be submitted by August 2, 2021.
August 20, 2020Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 164 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2021 Edition, Including 9 “Lawyers of the Year” and 25 “Ones to Watch”
Jackson Walker congratulates the 164 attorneys who were selected by their peers as Best Lawyers, including 9 Lawyers of the Year and 25 Ones to Watch, across 6 offices and 66 specialty practice areas.
August 14, 2019Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 109 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2020 Edition, With Eight Named “Lawyers of the Year”
Jackson Walker congratulates our 109 attorneys named to U.S. News & World Report’s Best Lawyers in America 2020 list, including eight attorneys who were named “Lawyers of the Year.”
April 29, 2019Spotlight
Chambers and Partners Recognizes Jackson Walker Attorneys and Practices Among 2019 USA and Global Guides
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce that Chambers and Partners has selected 27 attorneys and nine practice areas for inclusion in the 2019 edition of the global and USA guides.
November 14, 2018Spotlight
For the seventh year in a row, the Texas Access to Justice Commission has honored Jackson Walker as a Champion of Justice Law Firm.
August 16, 2018Attorney News
Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas. For over three decades, recognition in Best Lawyers has been regarded by both clients and legal professionals as a significant honor, since an attorney cannot pay to be listed.
May 3, 2018Spotlight
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce 26 attorneys have been ranked in the 2018 edition of Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business guide, with four additional attorneys identified as “recognized practitioners.”
March 2, 2018Attorney News
Our Fort Worth office has over 25 attorneys who offer significant experience in business law, healthcare, environmental law, labor and employment, litigation, and real estate law. Our attorneys are dedicated not only to the needs of their clients but also to the Fort Worth community.