Michael L. Laussade
Mike Laussade is a Dallas corporate lawyer who focuses his practice on the representation of private investment funds in all aspects of fund formation, regulatory compliance, and capital raising, as well as in a wide range of M&A and venture capital transactions. Mike has significant experience helping fund sponsors navigate complex structure and compliance issues attendant to fund formation, as well assisting funds in the negotiation of co-investments and joint venture relationships.
Mike also serves as outside counsel to privately held companies across a variety of industries, including healthcare, energy, medical devices, real estate, artificial intelligence, hospitality, food service and consumer packaged goods.
B.A., University of Texas at Austin
- Managing Editor, Texas Travesty
- Friar Society
J.D., with honors, University of Texas School of Law
- Editor in Chief, Texas Law Review
Corporate and Securities Matters
- Formation of private investment funds, including hedge funds, private equity funds, venture funds, real estate funds, and oil and gas funds.
- Structure and compliance issues affecting private fund managers under the Investment Advisers Act and Investment Company Act.
- Capital raising transactions of all sizes, ranging from seed-stage convertible note rounds to underwritten public offerings.
- M&A transactions on behalf of both buyers and sellers across a number of industries, including financial services, technology, manufacturing, aviation and energy.
- Corporate governance matters, including stockholder and LLC agreements, partnership disputes, fiduciary duty issues, and books and records requests.
- Represented a public mobile advertising solutions provider in its transformative acquisitions of three international mobile advertising companies valued in excess of $1 billion.
- Represented Bridger Logistics in sale of saltwater disposal, crude oil truck transportation, and logistics businesses to Pilot Flying J.
- Represented IOG Capital in connection with regulatory compliance, fund formation, and co-investment negotiation, including $330 million oil and gas investment partnership with funds and accounts managed by Fortress Investment Group.
- Representation of Prophet Equity in connection with the formation, fundraising, and regulatory compliance for its $345 million second fund, Prophet Equity II LP.
- Represented mortgage fund adviser with over $1 billion in assets under management in all aspects of fund formation and regulatory compliance.
- Representation of Dallas-based fund sponsor in launch of $250 million healthcare private equity fund.
- Representation of Dallas-based fund sponsor in launch of $200 million multi-family real estate fund.
- Representation of Dallas based fund sponsor in launch of $50 million venture capital fund.
- Represented Kalon Biotherapeutics LLC—a joint venture of the State of Texas, acting by and through the Office of the Governor, and The Texas A&M University—in its sale of control to FUJIFILM Diosynth Biotechnologies USA Inc.
- Represented Air Methods Corporation (NASDAQ:AIRM) in acquisition of San Antonio AirLIFE, a medical transport service owned by Baptist Health System of San Antonio/Tenet Corporation, and Bexar County Hospital District, doing business as University Health System.
- Represented PLx Pharma Inc. in negotiation of merger agreement with Dipexium Pharmaceuticals Inc. (NASDAQ:DPRX).
- The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White Inc.), Corporate Law, 2019-2023
- “Best Lawyers in Dallas” List, D Magazine, 2016, 2018, 2022-2023
- Texas Rising Star, Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2010, 2016-2019
- Community First Award, Parkland Foundation, 2018
Meat Fight, Inc.
- Board of Directors
- General Counsel
April 25, 2023Attorney News
Jackson Walker Congratulates 24 Attorneys Named Among 2023 “Best Lawyers in Dallas” List
Jackson Walker congratulates the 24 attorneys recognized among D Magazine’s list of the “Best Lawyers in Dallas” for 2023. For recognition in the list, Dallas attorneys must be nominated by their peers on the basis that they offer unmatched counsel in one of 40 categories.
August 18, 2022Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 214 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2023 Edition, Including 11 “Lawyers of the Year” and 41 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 214 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 79 specialty practice areas in its 2023 edition, including 11 Lawyers of the Year and 41 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
April 25, 2022Attorney News
Jackson Walker Congratulates 21 Attorneys Named Among 2022 “Best Lawyers in Dallas” List
Jackson Walker congratulates the 21 attorneys recognized among D Magazine’s list of the “Best Lawyers in Dallas” for 2022. For recognition in the list, Dallas attorneys must be nominated by their peers on the basis that they offer unmatched counsel in one of 40 categories.
January 26, 2022Mentions
DFW Lawyers Fear Proposed SEC Regulations Could Trigger Noncompliance | Dallas Business Journal (Subscription Required)
On January 26, 2022, the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) proposed amendments for its Form PF that would increase reporting requirements for hedge funds and private equity funds. In an interview with Dallas Business Journal, Michael Laussade shared insights on how the proposed amendments could make an already-challenging document more difficult for private investment funds.
October 14, 2021Client Results
Jackson Walker Team Advises Digital Turbine on More Than $1B in Global Deals in 2021
Digital Turbine, a public leading independent mobile advertising solutions provider, has completed more than $1 billion in cross-border deals in 2021 through the acquisitions of Fyber, AdColony, and Triapodi (d/b/a Appreciate).
August 19, 2021Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 178 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2022 Edition, Including 8 “Lawyers of the Year” and 31 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 178 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 67 specialty practice areas in its 2022 edition, including 8 Lawyers of the Year and 31 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
January 28, 2021Podcasts
Business and Legal Issues Around Blockchain and Cryptocurrencies
~7.5 minutes | As potential investors contemplate getting into the blockchain and cryptocurrency market, Michael Laussade discusses the practical and legal implications surrounding these issues, including the potential for fraud and white collar issues.
January 19, 2021Mentions
New Year, New Legal Focus: The Impact of Cryptocurrencies and Blockchain Law | The Mid-Market Report
As the chair of Jackson Walker’s Blockchain & Cryptoassets practice, Michael L. Laussade spoke with The Mid-Market Report about how he first got involved in blockchain and how this complex, technical area will impact transactions in the future.
August 20, 2020Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 164 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2021 Edition, Including 9 “Lawyers of the Year” and 25 “Ones to Watch”
Jackson Walker congratulates the 164 attorneys who were selected by their peers as Best Lawyers, including 9 Lawyers of the Year and 25 Ones to Watch, across 6 offices and 66 specialty practice areas.
January 24, 2020Client Results
Jackson Walker Represents Tarrytown Expocare in Securing Investment From Sheridan Capital Partners
Jackson Walker served as legal counsel to Tarrytown Expocare in securing an investment from Chicago-based healthcare private equity firm Sheridan Capital Partners for an undisclosed amount.