Alex Frutos focuses his practice on venture capital, private equity, corporate finance and securities, mergers and acquisitions, and general corporate and other transactional matters as well as corporate governance and general entity law matters. Alex represents buyers and sellers in public and private M&A transactions, issuers, underwriters, and investors in public and private debt and equity offerings, and companies and special board committees in corporate governance matters. He represents both private and public companies across several industries, including energy, technology and healthcare. He represents startups and emerging companies throughout every phase of their life cycle, including formation, angel financings, venture capital and private equity financings, and exit transactions. Additionally, he represents angel investors, funds, and family offices in angel, seed, venture capital, and private equity primary and secondary investment transactions.
Having passed the CPA exam, he is a skilled transactional lawyer with a strong accounting and business background that focuses on quality and dedication in his client service.
Prior to joining Jackson Walker, he was with Akin, Gump, Strauss, Hauer & Feld, L.L.P. for ten years. He became a certified public accountant in 1991, and from 1991 until he entered law school, he was an accountant in the Dallas office of KPMG L.L.P.
B.S., B.A., Georgetown University
J.D., cum laude, SMU Dedman School of Law
• Sarah T. Hughes Law Fellowship, Dallas Bar
• Associate Managing Editor, SMU Law Review
• Golden Gavel Legal Honor Society
Practice focuses on venture capital, private equity, corporate finance and securities, mergers and acquisitions, and general corporate and other transactional matters.
- Regularly represent public and private companies regarding corporate governance matters and policies
- Represented a special committee of the board of directors of a Nasdaq-listed public insurance corporation in connection with a management lead going private transaction
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Represented Exelon Corporation in the sale of its 210-megawatt power generation facility located in West Valley City, Utah
- Represented Exelon Corporation in the sale of its 550-megawatt power generation facility located in Odessa, Texas
- Represented U.S. Home Systems, Inc. in its merger with an indirect wholly-owned subsidiary of The Home Depot in a deal valued at approximately $93 million
- Represented a private media company in connection with acquisitions and dispositions of newspaper publications across the U.S. and related debt and equity financing and restructuring transactions
- Represented a public NYSE real estate investment trust in its acquisition of a 21-property hotel portfolio
- Represented a public NYSE real estate investment trust in connection with its merger with and into another public NYSE real estate investment trust in a transaction valued at approximately $3.2 billion
Fund Investment Transactions
- Represented a registered investment advisory firm focused on utility and infrastructure-related investments in connection with its $850 million investment in common stock of FirstEnergy Corp. in a private placement of public equity (PIPE) transaction which was part of a $2.5 billion investment and restructuring transaction
- Represented one of the largest institutional investment managers in Australia in connection with (i) a co-investment in connection with an acquisition and recapitalization of a waste management company; (ii) a recapitalization of one of its portfolio investments, a provider of strategic medical communication services to the biopharmaceutical industry; and (iii) a recapitalization of one of its portfolio investments in the retail space
- Represented an institutional alternative investment management firm with approximately $10b in assets under management in connection with various transactions, including (i) its investment in multiple rounds of preferred stock of an agricultural health and productivity company; (ii) its investment in multiple rounds of preferred stock of an a biotechnology company; (iii) co-investments together with one of Canada’s largest pension investment managers in preferred limited partnership interests in a private equity fund; (iv) its replacement of the investment manager of and investment in a private equity fund and related direct investments in various portfolio companies; and (v) its purchase of merchant loans from a financial services, merchant services aggregator and mobile payment company
- Represented other institutional investors, including private equity funds, sovereign wealth funds, insurance companies, and pensions, in connection with investment transactions and secondary market transactions (buyer- and seller-side)
- Served as counsel to a Texas-based bank holding company in connection with its initial public offering for gross proceeds of approximately $48 million, before underwriting discounts and commissions and offering expenses
- Represented an insurance company in connection with a public stock offering
- Represented a national movie exhibitor in connection with its initial public offering, public offerings of senior notes, and merger and acquisition activities
- Represented private compensation and executive benefit services corporation in connection with private and public securities offerings
- Represented a private credit card transaction processing and loyalty and database administration services corporation in connection with a $300 million initial public offering of common stock and primary and secondary follow-on public offerings of common stock
- Represented a public NYSE real estate investment trust in connection with the following transactions: public and private securities offerings, implementation of a dividend reinvestment plan, $1.0 billion universal shelf for sale of common and preferred securities, and implementation and expansion of a “dribble” financing program
- Represented a public oil and natural gas exploration and production company in connection with private and public securities offerings
- Represented a provider of contract land drilling services to oil and natural gas exploration and production companies in connection with public offerings
- Regularly represent start-up and development-stage companies in connection with organizational and capital-raising transactions and intellectual property protection activities
- Represented an angel investor in connection with a preferred investment in a developer of a mapping engine for construction projects and related architectural/engineering plans and subsequent sale of the company
- Rising Star, Thomson Reuters, 2004-2009
- Ranked 14th in Texas, Texas Lawyer Ranking Cap Market Offerings 2018 H1, The Texas Lawbook
- Dallas Bar Association, Mergers and Acquisitions Section
- Dallas Bar Association, Securities Section, Past Chairman
- Leadership Dallas Class, 2009
- Dallas Business Committee, Arts 2004 Leadership Arts Program
- Friends of Fair Park
Served as counsel to a Texas-based bank holding company in connection with its initial public offering for gross proceeds of approximately $48 million, before underwriting discounts and commissions and offering expenses.