Alex Frutos focuses his practice on venture capital, private equity, corporate finance and securities, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, and general corporate and other transactional matters as well as corporate governance and general entity law matters. Alex represents strategic and financial buyers and sellers and their board of directors in public and private M&A transactions, including SPAC business combination transactions and issuers, underwriters, and investors in public and private debt and equity offerings, and companies and special board committees in corporate governance matters. He represents both companies and executives in connection with executive employment and compensation arrangements. He represents both private and public companies across several industries, including manufacturing, energy, technology and healthcare. He represents startups and emerging companies throughout every phase of their life cycle, including formation, angel financings, venture capital and private equity financings, and exit transactions. Additionally, he represents angel investors, funds, and family offices in angel, seed, venture capital, and private equity primary and secondary investment transactions and M&A transactions.
Having passed the CPA exam, he is a skilled transactional lawyer with a strong accounting and business background that focuses on quality and dedication in his client service. Alex also serves on the Firm’s Diversity & Inclusion Committee.
Prior to joining Jackson Walker, he was with Akin, Gump, Strauss, Hauer & Feld, L.L.P. for ten years. He became a certified public accountant in 1991, and from 1991 until he entered law school, he was an accountant in the Dallas office of KPMG L.L.P.
B.S., B.A., Georgetown University
J.D., cum laude, SMU Dedman School of Law
- Sarah T. Hughes Law Fellowship, Dallas Bar
- Associate Managing Editor, SMU Law Review
- Golden Gavel Legal Honor Society
Practice focuses on venture capital, private equity, corporate finance and securities, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, executive employment and compensation arrangements, and general corporate and other transactional matters.
- Regularly represent public and private companies and their board of directors and board committees regarding fiduciary duty, corporate governance matters, and policies
- Represented a special committee of the board of directors of a Nasdaq-listed public insurance corporation in connection with a management lead going private transaction
- Represented private and public companies and executives in connection with executive employment and compensation arrangements, equity compensation structures, change in control agreements, shareholding, and buy-sell agreements
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Representation of Prophet Equity in the preferred equity financing of one of its portfolio companies, Apex Environmental Resources Holdings, in connection with Apex’s merger with The Action Environmental Group, Inc. under the Interstate Waste Services brand
- Represented Exelon Corporation in the sale of its 210-megawatt power generation facility located in West Valley City, Utah
- Represented Exelon Corporation in the sale of its 550-megawatt power generation facility located in Odessa, Texas
- Represented U.S. Home Systems, Inc. in its merger with an indirect wholly-owned subsidiary of The Home Depot in a deal valued at approximately $93 million
- Represented a private media company in connection with acquisitions and dispositions of newspaper publications across the U.S. and related debt and equity financing and restructuring transactions
- Represented a public NYSE real estate investment trust in its acquisition of a 21-property hotel portfolio
- Represented a public NYSE real estate investment trust in connection with its merger with and into another public NYSE real estate investment trust in a transaction valued at approximately $3.2 billion
Fund Investment Transactions
- Represented a registered investment advisory firm focused on utility and infrastructure-related investments in connection with its signing of a deal to invest $675 million in common stock of PG&E Corporation in a private placement of public equity (PIPE) transaction which, together with other investors, was part of a $3.25 billion investment expected to close upon PG&E emerging out of bankruptcy
- Represented a registered investment advisory firm in connection with its $620 million investment in common stock of an NYSE listed public company in a registered direct offering transaction
- Represented a registered investment advisory firm focused on utility and infrastructure-related investments in connection with its $850 million investment in common stock of FirstEnergy Corp. in a private placement of public equity (PIPE) transaction which was part of a $2.5 billion investment and restructuring transaction
- Represented one of the largest institutional investment managers in Australia in connection with (i) a co-investment in connection with an acquisition and recapitalization of a waste management company; (ii) a recapitalization of one of its portfolio investments, a provider of strategic medical communication services to the biopharmaceutical industry; and (iii) a recapitalization of one of its portfolio investments in the retail space
- Represented an institutional alternative investment management firm with approximately $10 billion in assets under management in connection with various transactions, including (i) its investment in multiple rounds of preferred stock of an agricultural health and productivity company; (ii) its investment in multiple rounds of preferred stock of a biotechnology company; (iii) co-investments together with one of Canada’s largest pension investment managers in preferred limited partnership interests in a private equity fund; (iv) its replacement of the investment manager of and investment in a private equity fund and related direct investments in various portfolio companies; and (v) its purchase of merchant loans from a financial services, merchant services aggregator and mobile payment company
- Represented other institutional investors, including private equity funds, sovereign wealth funds, insurance companies, and pensions, in connection with investment transactions and secondary market transactions (buyer- and seller-side)
- Served as counsel to a Texas-based bank holding company in connection with its initial public offering for gross proceeds of approximately $48 million, before underwriting discounts and commissions and offering expenses
- Represented an insurance company in connection with a public stock offering
- Represented a national movie exhibitor in connection with its initial public offering, public offerings of senior notes, and merger and acquisition activities
- Represented private compensation and executive benefit services corporation in connection with private and public securities offerings
- Represented a private credit card transaction processing and loyalty and database administration services corporation in connection with a $300 million initial public offering of common stock and primary and secondary follow-on public offerings of common stock
- Represented a public NYSE real estate investment trust in connection with the following transactions: public and private securities offerings, implementation of a dividend reinvestment plan, $1.0 billion universal shelf for sale of common and preferred securities, and implementation and expansion of a “dribble” financing program
- Represented a public oil and natural gas exploration and production company in connection with private and public securities offerings
- Represented a provider of contract land drilling services to oil and natural gas exploration and production companies in connection with public offerings
- Regularly represent start-up and development-stage companies in connection with organizational and capital-raising transactions and intellectual property protection activities
- Represented an angel investor in connection with a preferred investment in a developer of a mapping engine for construction projects and related architectural/engineering plans and subsequent sale of the company
- Texas Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2023
- Texas Rising Star, Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2004-2009
- Ranked 14th in Texas, Texas Lawyer Ranking Cap Market Offerings 2018 H1, The Texas Lawbook
- Jackson Walker Diversity & Inclusion Committee
- Dallas Bar Association, Mergers and Acquisitions Section
- Dallas Bar Association, Securities Section, Past Chairman
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- Dallas Bar Foundation
- Dallas Hispanic Bar Association
- Hispanic National Bar Association
- Latin American Professionals
- Leadership Dallas Class, 2009
- Dallas Council for the Arts 2004 Leadership Arts Program
- Friends of Fair Park
- Business startup mentor at DEC Network, Business Navigators, Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses and the North Texas Angels Network
December 4, 2023Newsletters
View Jackson Walker’s December 2023 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
September 19, 2023Attorney News
Each year, less than 5% of attorneys in Texas are named to the list. Selection is based off of peer nominations that are then reviewed by a research team. Each nominee is evaluated on his or her professional accomplishments, peer recognition, and community involvement.
October 14, 2021Client Results
Digital Turbine, a public leading independent mobile advertising solutions provider, has completed more than $1 billion in cross-border deals in 2021 through the acquisitions of Fyber, AdColony, and Triapodi (d/b/a Appreciate).
June 17, 2020Client Results
Jackson Walker Represents Zimmer Partners in PIPE Agreement to Fund PG&E Corporation’s Chapter 11 Exit Financing
As PG&E Corporation prepares to emerge out of bankruptcy, Zimmer Partners entered into a definitive investment agreement to purchase $675M of an aggregate $3.25B in common stock of PG&E.
January 27, 2020Client Results
The merged Apex-Action company will operate under the Interstate Waste Services (IWS) brand as one of the largest integrated solid waste companies in the largest waste market in the United States.
October 17, 2018Spotlight
Concluding the first half of 2018, Jackson Walker secured over $1.24 billion in capital markets transactions to place the Firm at No. 11 in The Texas Lawbook’s Corporate Deal Tracker results.
May 9, 2018Client Results
Jackson Walker represented Spirit of Texas Bancshares, Inc. (STXB) in its initial public offering of 2,300,000 shares of common stock at $21 per share, before underwriting discounts and commissions.
February 1, 2018Client Results
Jackson Walker represented Zimmer Partners, LP, a registered investment advisory firm located in New York, focused on utility and infrastructure-related investments, in connection with its $850 million equity investment in common stock of FirstEnergy Corp. in a private placement of public equity (PIPE) transaction.
September 27, 2017Insights
Public benefit corporations, which are recognized in over 30 states, have now been adopted in Texas.
March 12, 2015Client Results
Jackson Walker successfully represented Exelon Corporation in the sale of its 550-megawatt power generation facility located in Odessa, Texas.